CRNA RFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccrwz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New procedure to help reduce pain without opioids

Coming to a hospital near you....

"Pullman Regional Hospital patients now have access to a new procedure that helps with pain management.

Corey Johnson, a certified registered nurse anesthetist, said the new procedure involves radiofrequency ablation. It is narcotics- and surgery-free. Pullman Regional Hospital made it available in October of 2018."

Members don't see this ad.

"Johnson said the procedure, which can be done to relieve back or knee pain, takes about 30 minutes and requires the patient to be under deep sedation. The procedure is also used to reduce pain symptoms in a patient prior to surgery through a doctor’s referral."

Discounted rates for attorneys representing plaintiffs against this murse.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yay, more expert witness work!

Reactions: 1 users
MINT trial sucks

New procedure to help reduce pain without opioids

Coming to a hospital near you....

"Pullman Regional Hospital patients now have access to a new procedure that helps with pain management.

Corey Johnson, a certified registered nurse anesthetist, said the new procedure involves radiofrequency ablation. It is narcotics- and surgery-free. Pullman Regional Hospital made it available in October of 2018."

Washington State @Ligament

We have had crnas doing stim trials in CO since I have been in practice.

CRNAs is Washington State have been out of control for years. I recall interviewing for a position at a major suburban hospital after finishing my fellowship at UW in the early 1990s. CRNAs were equal partners in the group. CRNAs required no supervision. Completely equal to an MD. At the same time, our CRNAs in NY couldn't do ANYTHING without supervision.

Reactions: 1 user
Who's teaching these people the procedures?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in fellowship, we had a patient come in to see us from a hospital in a rural part of the state where a CRNA calling himself a doctor performed a cervical RFA and actually ablated her spinal cord. The MRI had multilevel signal cord change. She was lucky to be walking. We think the CRNA approached the RFA laterally and never checked an AP to see if he was in the spinal canal. Crazy stuff.

When I was in fellowship, we had a patient come in to see us from a hospital in a rural part of the state where a CRNA calling himself a doctor performed a cervical RFA and actually ablated her spinal cord. The MRI had multilevel signal cord change. She was lucky to be walking. We think the CRNA approached the RFA laterally and never checked an AP to see if he was in the spinal canal. Crazy stuff.

Whoa. I would think the ablation would have been extremely painful. Sedation?

https://www.painmd.com/dt_providers/d-john-kane-crna/

Professional Certifications & Associations
  • AANA
  • NHAPRNPA
  • Certified in Advanced Interventional techniques including: Vertebroplasty, Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation, and Therapeutic Injections
  • Advanced Cardiac Life Support Certification

Reactions: 1 user
What idiotic insurance pays for this?

This is the real kicker. I have an anesthesiologist that used to work with me. He was a general surgeon in Iraq and surrendered to the Americans during the first gulf war to get away from Saddam. Trained in anesthesiology in the US then did a pediatric anesthesia fellowship. Didn't get board certified because he was primarily doing research and his institution didn't require it. Now he can't work with me because Blue Cross want's him to be board certified. But there are CRNA billing for RFA no problem. I'm convinced more every day that the world has gone crazy.

If Medicare required at least a Pain fellowship to do interventional procedures, this Ortho-spine/PCP/CRNA doing pain stuff ridiculousness would stop.

Reactions: 3 users
This is the real kicker. I have an anesthesiologist that used to work with me. He was a general surgeon in Iraq and surrendered to the Americans during the first gulf war to get away from Saddam. Trained in anesthesiology in the US then did a pediatric anesthesia fellowship. Didn't get board certified because he was primarily doing research and his institution didn't require it. Now he can't work with me because Blue Cross want's him to be board certified. But there are CRNA billing for RFA no problem. I'm convinced more every day that the world has gone crazy.

If Medicare required at least a Pain fellowship to do interventional procedures, this Ortho-spine/PCP/CRNA doing pain stuff ridiculousness would stop.

Imagine what MD/DO's could accomplish if we came together and lobbied in support of our own interests and the patients we serve...

Reactions: 2 users