CRNA VS MDA The Truth!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

residentphysici

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a premed student, I thought that CRNAs worked under the supervision of an anesthesiologist like any other nurse. When I got into medical school I vehemently stated that MDAs were better than CRNAs, but I really didn't know. When I got into residency, I began to be concerned because I noticed that the CRNAs were doing the same cases that I was. Now that I'm in private practice, I noticed that there is a BIG difference. Here are the minor differences:

CRNAs usually concentrate in specific areas of anesthesiology (Ob, outpatient, Gyn, ortho, cardiac) while many MDAs are diversified and may exclude one or two areas.

Many private practice groups employ CRNAs to handle OB, an area that MDAs don't typically make much money.

Most CRNAs are employees, and do not share in the profits of a group. Thus, they usually work shifts and may change jobs more than MDAs.

Many CRNAs are technically very skilled and sometimes even better than the MDAs.

However, the big difference is that MDAs are consultants and not just technicians. The two people I first heard this from were MDAs who were former CRNAs. They stated that as CRNAs, they had no idea what they didn't know but realized it when they became MDAs.

A MDA can make medical management changes and recommendations for patients beyond what would be needed for a case. You can make medical diagnoses and even outpatient medication regimen. MDAs can walk into an ER, clinic, and ICU and still function as a physician. My colleagues at several other groups expressed the same feelings.

In my group, the differences came to our attention by the surgeons. The gastric bypass patients did better (early extubation, decrease postop CHF, MI and infections) with MDA care. Our vascular and cardiac preops performed by MDAs had less cancellations for the cases. It didn't matter if the CRNAs were newly trained or not, we had the same problems. But when it came to OB and outpatient cases, there were no difference and even a higher satisfaction with the OB CRNA. I routinely educate patients who request MDAs when the CRNA is equally good. I also try my best to maintain CRNA coverage for OB because I believe he does a much better job than the MDAs. It's funny how our CRNAs who have been in practice for 20+ years are adhamant that they are not as good as physicians. These are are most skilled CRNAs.

MDA vs CRNA should not be the fight. There aren't enough providers in the rural areas right now. The fight is counterproductive. We, CRNAs and MDAs should be getting together and fighting for higher reimbursements, better OR efficiency, and better distribution of resources. CRNAs are not physicians. They are a key part of anesthesiology services that could not exist without them. So, your jobs are not secure as long as there is a fight. And the winner will be HMOs, hospital administrations, and medicare.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most of us here would agree with the points that you have made and would rather coexist with CRNA's. I believe that both groups have their place in anesthesia care. The problem is that the CRNA political lobby does not believe this. They are very selfish and if they had their way, they would takeover all aspects of anesthesia care. What is even more concerning is when they tell others that they are just as good as mda's and people believe it. Many CRNA's are not like this and are team players, but their organizations and lobby are the ones responsible for "MDA vs CRNA" atmosphere in my opinion.

i am bored by these conversations - who cares really??? I don't care.... in other forums you don't see similar threads (i have yet to see a thread on OB/GYN where they show their insecurities aboud midwives, etc...)

CRNAs don't make me insecure - therefore it is not a topic worth discussing - and I promise this is the last time i post anything on the topic again :) hopefully....

Members don't see this ad :)
crna's..the vast majority are highly competent people. The anesthesiologists.. the vast majority are highly competent people.
In general,
CRNA's can handle most cases very very well
anesthesiologists are trained to handle all cases. period.
while both handle similar jobs, their responsibilities are quite different.
crna's are trained to take care of patients during most cases.
anesthesiologists are trained to supervise crna's in the infrequent case of complications.
So, while it seems the same, the responsibilities are different, and in general, crna's and anesthesiologists work very well together, despite one group's seeming animosity toward the other group.

Originally posted by dimsum
crna's..the vast majority are highly competent people. The anesthesiologists.. the vast majority are highly competent people.
In general,
CRNA's can handle most cases very very well
anesthesiologists are trained to handle all cases. period.
while both handle similar jobs, their responsibilities are quite different.
crna's are trained to take care of patients during most cases.
anesthesiologists are trained to supervise crna's in the infrequent case of complications.
So, while it seems the same, the responsibilities are different, and in general, crna's and anesthesiologists work very well together, despite one group's seeming animosity toward the other group.

FINALLY- the definitive post containing that critical insight we all have been missing. I thought we were going to have to beat this horse for at least a few weeks more.

Can we anesthetize (euthanize?) this issue now?