Cross-Training into the Medical Corps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullseye_18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
AFI 11-402, 3.7.1.4.1

According to this document, someone can "disqualify" themselves from rated service to go to medical school and enter the medical corps. Does anyone have any experience with this? My main concern is that though you can apply, the powers-that-be still don't "have" to accept your release. When you swore in, it was for better or for worse. Does anybody know if the release from rated service into medical service is generally accepted from critically-manned positions (i.e. would they allow fighter-types, RPA types, spec ops types to cross train? The AF spent a heckuva lotta money to train you in the first place)?

Any advice, wisdom, or experience is welcome! I am simply trying to cage expectations (and see if it is even possible to apply to MD/DO schools earlier than anticipated).

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand the nuances of your AF speak, but I do know someone in the Navy who was disqualified from submarine service and accepted to HSPS for medical school.

Hope that helps.

Did that myself in the Army. It's a longer process if you still have an ADSO left, but it's doable. Need to have a med school acceptance in hand, and a lot of work towards an HPSP acceptance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been out for years, so I cannot provide any specific advice, just general experience. If the Air Force Times/Magazine are correct, the AF has a much bigger pilot shortage than they have a physician shortage. As such, it is very unlikely that they would release you from a pilot ADSC to go to medical school.

There is the "pilot-physician" program. Depending on the specifics that may be the best/only option, but that also would likely have restrictions on what you can do on the medical side.

There is the "pilot-physician" program. Depending on the specifics that may be the best/only option, but that also would likely have restrictions on what you can do on the medical side.

They actually don’t restrict you on the medical side, aside from doing the pilot training and a tour as a pilot. But when it comes to residency they have what they would like you to do, but cannot force you into a specific residency. You are free to do as you wish and cease being active in the Pilot-Physician program.