Crossing the "Counseling" Boundary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick couple of counseling related questions, at what point is giving information regarding medications counseling? Obviously when I am in doubt I get the pharmacist. Can I tell the patient what their medication is indicated for? They sometimes ask me when to take it and I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Like for instance someone will call in and are confused about their meds and will sometimes ask something along the lines of "How am I supposed to take that?" or "Which one is that?" (referring to the generic/indication). If I have the bottle/computer in front of me, would it be legal to read the administration directions(I.E. "one tablet @ bedtime")? I don't want to get the RPh for every little thing but I don't want to put myself into jeopardy.

Also, another question, if someone calls in with a pill they need identified, how should I proceed? I have heard others say not to identify anything over the phone, but again I'm not too sure.

Sorry for the odd questions, this has been on my mind lately and I wasn't sure of the answers.

Thanks for your help,

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Quick couple of counseling related questions, at what point is giving information regarding medications counseling? Obviously when I am in doubt I get the pharmacist. Can I tell the patient what their medication is indicated for? They sometimes ask me when to take it and I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Like for instance someone will call in and are confused about their meds and will sometimes ask something along the lines of "How am I supposed to take that?" or "Which one is that?" (referring to the generic/indication). If I have the bottle/computer in front of me, would it be legal to read the administration directions(I.E. "one tablet @ bedtime")? I don't want to get the RPh for every little thing but I don't want to put myself into jeopardy.

Also, another question, if someone calls in with a pill they need identified, how should I proceed? I have heard others say not to identify anything over the phone, but again I'm not too sure.

Sorry for the odd questions, this has been on my mind lately and I wasn't sure of the answers.

Thanks for your help,

Dd3

Nah that’s not odd at all - I remember when I was a student getting my feet wet I was the same.

Hopefully you will get more advice, but my rule of thumb is to draw the line at anything that requires diagnosis. we Are not diagnogticisns,

Reactions: 1 user
Nah that’s not odd at all - I remember when I was a student getting my feet wet I was the same.

Hopefully you will get more advice, but my rule of thumb is to draw the line at anything that requires diagnosis. we Are not diagnogticisns,
Your bar is too high. Pharmacists shouldn’t be diagnosing most things either. You may read the provided literature/label to them. Anything beyond that is counseling.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your bar is too high. Pharmacists shouldn’t be diagnosing most things either. You may read the provided literature/label to them. Anything beyond that is counseling.
So, unless the label states what the medication is for, It wouldn't be permissible to say something along the lines of what a medication is usually indicated for if the patient asks?

So, unless the label states what the medication is for, It wouldn't be permissible to say something along the lines of what a medication is usually indicated for if the patient asks?
The monograph usually lists “commonly used to treat” conditions. You could offer this info, or an indication in the directions. Anything else would be counseling.

Reactions: 1 user