"Crunch Time" or "Easy-does-it"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowmarshall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after reading through the recommended MSAR, I realized I pretty much screwed myself for the MCATs because I have taken almost all GenEd and Electives, and very few science courses.

Note to others: If you're going to do pre-med, make the decision early!!!

So now I've got some options:
1. As some of you may know, UCF is opening a medical school as of Fall 2008. I want to be in this first class, and it would be perfect timing, if I had taken most of my science courses already. As it stands, I will either take the spring MCAT prior to taking Physics 2/Bio 2, or take it in the summer and have to apply to med schools without MCAT scores. Finishing the required classes in time means I will have to take summer school as well.

2. Finish undergrad school with a degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences (I have most of the courses needed from an AS in Laboratory Technology) in Spring 2007. Take my MCATs with all the courses taken. Apply for the class of 2009. Work for a year as a certified MT in a hospital laboratory for further clinical experience, and better financial stability.

3. Follow track #1, fork over the money to apply to schools and take the MCATs, then use track #2 as a "Plan B" in case I get waitlisted or my MCATs need work.

My biggest concerns with track #2 are being away from school for over a year, and possibly losing out on opportunities (and prestige) associated with being in the first class of a new med school, getting to be a groundbreaker, etc.

Obviously the biggest con to tracks #1 and #3 are the money involved in applying to med school and taking the MCATs, while not being fully prepared.

After typing this out, it seems sort of obvious which is the better track, but I'd like some additional opinions anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

Being the groundbreaker isn't that much prestige. Residency Directors won't know how to evaluate you etc.

It would be cool to tell friends and family and people outside of the medical community but it is a bit of a gamble going to an unestablished program.

BrettBatchelor said:
Being the groundbreaker isn't that much prestige. Residency Directors won't know how to evaluate you etc.

It would be cool to tell friends and family and people outside of the medical community but it is a bit of a gamble going to an unestablished program.

exactly...plus I would not want to be in the first graduating class b/c the school will have alot of kinks to work out in the process of becoming established

I ditto what they've said. Who knows how the program will turn out. What if UCF ends up being a tier 5 school? Not much prestige in being in the first class there. Oh, and I would STRONGLY recommend that you finish all the classes needed for the MCAT before you take it.