Crying at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This should qualify as yet the best selling of a one hour volunteerism a week :rolleyes:
My favorite part is he teaches the kid how to read but writes things like "thought them the word blessed."

Anyway, I probably wouldn't bring it up if you'll cry. I had a stress interview attack me, my past, and my family history and I kept my composure in the interview and cried like a b**** in the car. Save your emotions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
384173.jpg

Tom Hanks would be the worst interviewer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"I didn't cry when me own father was hung for stealing a pig, but I'll cry now."

Groundskeeper Willie

Reactions: 1 user
OP, cowboy up and reign that s#$% in for the interview.

I personally feel like if you've overcame a lot and are asked to talk about it and you have a real, genuine reason for wanting to get into medicine and you happen to get emotional that it's totally fine. Not everyone comes from this super privileged, "life's a breeze " background, so what if you're uncomfortable? You'll get a lot more uncomfortable as a doctor I'm sure. If you ask me a question I'm going to give you an honest answer and if tears roll down my face because I can't believe how far I've come so what? If it costs me an acceptance then that wasn't the school for me. I know it sounds crazy but some people actually are compassionate and aren't just applying to medical school because they have good grades and clinical experience.

The bolded is a great way to point out that this can cost you an acceptance....which happens to be the only useful purpose to whaleface's post

And where might that time and place be? I never heard of people structuring their tears into their schedules like one may do a workout.
Really? You've never heard of people holding it together during a stressful time when it's important to be composed, and then dealing with their emotions later, when they're in a better environment to process their feelings? That's basically how I've gotten through life. It's also something I think will be very important in the medical field. You're upset that your patient is dying? Yeah, I don't think they want to be comforting you as you're bawling in their room...

Really? You've never heard of people holding it together during a stressful time when it's important to be composed, and then dealing with their emotions later, when they're in a better environment to process their feelings? That's basically how I've gotten through life. It's also something I think will be very important in the medical field. You're upset that your patient is dying? Yeah, I don't think they want to be comforting you as you're bawling in their room...

I've shed tears in the room with dying patients and their families. Like a couple escaped the corners of my eyes while I kept my $#!^ together and soldiered on. If you don't let yourself fall apart, a couple of tears shows the family that you are a human being, too, and that you share some small fraction of their grief. I've had a lot of people tell me that it let them know that I cared, that I wasn't just going through the motions for a paycheck.

If you need to sob, though, you gotta wait until you are alone. If anyone feels like they need to comfort you, you are doing it wrong. If you can't figure out how to do that, maybe go talk to someone about an antidepressant, or else consider a less emotional line of work.

Reactions: 8 users
I used to cry a lot more easily, and have a lot more difficulty controlling it. It was rare that I made it through a single day without bawling about something or other.

Then, I started on testosterone as part of gender transition from female to male. My tears dried right up. For several years, I couldn't cry if I wanted to. My eyes just wouldn't make tears, no matter how sad/angry/frustrated I might feel. Only in the last couple of years can I cry even a little. So, part of the reason that "boys don't cry" is that their bodies don't always let them.

The point is that tearfulness is partially a biological issue. Hormones really are mind altering drugs, and if your body's recipe is interfering with your capacity to function in some way, that is a legitimate reason to seek medical intervention. I can't recommend testosterone as a first line therapy... it comes with a lot of side effects, such as masculinization, which may be undesirable to some. But there are likely other pharmacological interventions that could assist in reducing emotional lability, or at least the uncontrolled expression thereof.

My favorite part is he teaches the kid how to read but writes things like "thought them the word blessed."

Anyway, I probably wouldn't bring it up if you'll cry. I had a stress interview attack me, my past, and my family history and I kept my composure in the interview and cried like a b**** in the car. Save your emotions.
English isnt my first language, and the same for the kids who I am trying to help. So in some ways I can identify with the struggle they have with reading ,as you can see I haven't mastered the language fully as yet. But I understand it enough to spot when someone is making a joke on someone else expense the term for that is a d1ck and that's what you are portraying right now.. Good job

English isnt my first language, and the same for the kids who I am trying to help. So in some ways I can identify with the struggle they have with reading ,as you can see I haven't mastered the language fully as yet. But I understand it enough to spot when someone is making a joke on someone else expense the term for that is a d1ck and that's what you are portraying right now.. Good job
Welcome to the internet.

It's just that it's a professional setting, and crying is something that is somewhat of a stigma in the medical profession. At least here in the states! It's unhealthy, I admit. But it's a cultural aspect that you have to accept. Flexibility with a diverse range of cultures is one of the qualities med schools want to hear about in secondary essays, so you can infer that it is an important selection factor. : P

I cry when I don't get an interview.

Reactions: 4 users
At least here in the states! It's unhealthy, I admit. But it's a cultural aspect that you have to accept.: P

No we don't. Say no. I wouldn't hire a sobbing loser and I'd recommend you did the same.

Welcome to the internet.

It's just that it's a professional setting, and crying is something that is somewhat of a stigma in the medical profession. At least here in the states! It's unhealthy, I admit. But it's a cultural aspect that you have to accept. Flexibility with a diverse range of cultures is one of the qualities med schools want to hear about in secondary essays, so you can infer that it is an important selection factor. : P
I agree with everyone it is a bad thing to do at a interview ..
No we don't. Say no. I wouldn't hire a sobbing loser and I'd recommend you did the same.
Because I am touched by something im a loser ??? I agree it is wrong to do in a interview. This has been established now. argument finished..

So I have recently been volunteering helping kids who are reading below their grade level improve there reading skills. How this program works is that we are matched with one individual for a year . I have been with my kid for 3 months and I recently thought them the word blessed. One day in a writing project he wrote that he felt blessed that I was in his life. This moment made me felt so good and made me saw the importance of me volunteering one hour of my week. After 4 months he has now become a much better reader and I am so happy to see this improvement. But I cant seem to tell this story which is the reason why I love this project and want to continue to do it without tearing up/crying . Even at bars I kinda tear up. And this isnt like me im not a usually emotional guy.. Just wanted to know if this happened to anyone during interview and what response they got from being emotional....

Knew of an interviewee who cried during an interview- It was like the kiss of death for her.

Don't cry during your interview, cry after!

I agree with everyone it is a bad thing to do at a interview ..

Because I am touched by something im a loser ??? I agree it is wrong to do in a interview. This has been established now. argument finished..
They just don't understand. I also tutor disadvantaged children a couple hours a week over the course of two years and have seen fantastic progress in my kids. Reading comprehension, yes. But for my kids, moreso the work ethic, mindset towards school work, and having some kind of future goal in mind.

It's hard not to be touched by their stories... unless you're a robot or hate kids.

They just don't understand. I also tutor disadvantaged children a couple hours a week over the course of two years and have seen fantastic progress in my kids. Reading comprehension, yes. But for my kids, moreso the work ethic, mindset towards school work, and having some kind of future goal in mind.

It's hard not to be touched by their stories... unless you're a robot or hate kids.

Because a potential employer laughs at you and assumes you are a loser when you lose it in an interview doesn't make it so. However, an inability to maintain your emotional composure for 30 minutes or less makes you unprofessional and that is why you will not be invited back.

Reactions: 1 user
Because a potential employer laughs at you and assumes you are a loser when you lose it in an interview doesn't make it so. However, an inability to maintain your emotional composure for 30 minutes or less makes you unprofessional and that is why you will not be invited back.
No argument there.