Crying at interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chelsea FC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have recently been volunteering helping kids who are reading below their grade level improve there reading skills. How this program works is that we are matched with one individual for a year . I have been with my kid for 3 months and I recently thought them the word blessed. One day in a writing project he wrote that he felt blessed that I was in his life. This moment made me felt so good and made me saw the importance of me volunteering one hour of my week. After 4 months he has now become a much better reader and I am so happy to see this improvement. But I cant seem to tell this story which is the reason why I love this project and want to continue to do it without tearing up/crying . Even at bars I kinda tear up. And this isnt like me im not a usually emotional guy.. Just wanted to know if this happened to anyone during interview and what response they got from being emotional....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen this happen only twice in all my years of interviewing, and it occurs just as rarely to my colleagues. I do not think it yields a good impression of the candidates.

So I have recently been volunteering helping kids who are reading below their grade level improve there reading skills. How this program works is that we are matched with one individual for a year . I have been with my kid for 3 months and I recently thought them the word blessed. One day in a writing project he wrote that he felt blessed that I was in his life. This moment made me felt so good and made me saw the importance of me volunteering one hour of my week. After 4 months he has now become a much better reader and I am so happy to see this improvement. But I cant seem to tell this story which is the reason why I love this project and want to continue to do it without tearing up/crying . Even at bars I kinda tear up. And this isnt like me im not a usually emotional guy.. Just wanted to know if this happened to anyone during interview and what response they got from being emotional....

Reactions: 9 users
Need to use the search function more often...
General consensus - Man up, it would be awkward crying at a interview and to become a doctor you need to learn how to talk about touching moments while keeping composure.. Sorry for the redundant thread

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously unprofessional to tear up or cry. Don't mention it if thats the response it elicits.

I forgot who said it (Kevin Ahem maybe?) but the only excuse of crying at an interview is if you had an immediate family member die in the last month. Don't cry at your interview. Keep practicing telling this story to others until you can do it without the tears. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
It's really hard to talk to a sobbing person.

If it's a slight tear, then just say it's allergies. : P

Reactions: 1 users
This should qualify as yet the best selling of a one hour volunteerism a week :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I lost it at the "made me realize the importance of volunteering my one hour every week." hahahaha

But yeah...don't do it. You're going to encounter lots of sad moments as a physician and you can't let it break you so easily.

Maintain your bearing at all times.

I tear up when McDonald's messes up my order, I can't help it, but it doesn't mean I'm an emotional mess?

I tear up when McDonald's messes up my order, I can't help it, but it doesn't mean I'm an emotional mess?

Why are you even at McDonalds, you're a dog.

Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is one part of my interview that I will be asked about and it does illicit a physical emotion response (not severe, like my eyes well up but I don't cry). But this is a part that is crucial to my change as a person- it's not a robotic response, it's me talking from my heart. And I maintain composure as I do so.

But actually crying over a 1 week connection won't end well. Suggest you choose another example to talk about if your result is this. Also, I hate to pull the sexism card, but in the end you are a guy with tears streaming down your face.

I can't imagine where your parents sent you wrong and worse, how did you decide a post like this was your solution. Damn millennials.

Don't do it OP. Crying makes people uncomfortable. Men crying really makes people uncomfortable. That and it's completely unprofessional, pull yourself together and deal with it

Reactions: 3 users
Save your tears for your acceptance letter, or else you'll have to have extra tears to handle the rejection letter.

Reactions: 7 users
Save your tears for your acceptance letter, or else you'll have to have extra tears to handle the rejection letter.

Couldn't help but think of this song

Damn, for aspiring professionals, you all are some RUDE people. I agree you shouldn't cry but some of these comments are just unnecessary

Reactions: 11 users
Damn, for aspiring professionals, you all are some RUDE people. I agree you shouldn't cry but some of these comments are just unnecessary

new.gif

Reactions: 13 users
Even at bars I kinda tear up. And this isnt like me im not a usually emotional guy..

I think it's pretty safe to say the techniques you use to pick up girls at a bar don't need to find their way into a medical school interview.

Reactions: 3 users
No crying, no cursing.

Although I'd like to say that at a student interview both the interviewer and I dropped a couple f-bombs (I did it by accident because the interviewer seemed so laid back and was talking as if I was his childhood buddy). Got accepted :cool:

LOL trust me tearing up at Bars have surprising led to successful nights .. But I have been telling the story in-front of the mirror and not cry so practice makes perfect .

Save your tears until you become an attending so you can do this.

Reactions: 6 users
Although I'd like to say that at a student interview both the interviewer and I dropped a couple f-bombs (I did it by accident because the interviewer seemed so laid back and was talking as if I was his childhood buddy). Got accepted :cool:
Yes, it does happen. I really don't recommend it, though.

Yes, it does happen. I really don't recommend it, though.

Yeah, and I was mortified when I realized what I had done haha.

I personally feel like if you've overcame a lot and are asked to talk about it and you have a real, genuine reason for wanting to get into medicine and you happen to get emotional that it's totally fine. Not everyone comes from this super privileged, "life's a breeze " background, so what if you're uncomfortable? You'll get a lot more uncomfortable as a doctor I'm sure. If you ask me a question I'm going to give you an honest answer and if tears roll down my face because I can't believe how far I've come so what? If it costs me an acceptance then that wasn't the school for me. I know it sounds crazy but some people actually are compassionate and aren't just applying to medical school because they have good grades and clinical experience.

I personally feel like if you've overcame a lot and are asked to talk about it and you have a real, genuine reason for wanting to get into medicine and you happen to get emotional that it's totally fine. Not everyone comes from this super privileged, "life's a breeze " background, so what if you're uncomfortable? You'll get a lot more uncomfortable as a doctor I'm sure. If you ask me a question I'm going to give you an honest answer and if tears roll down my face because I can't believe how far I've come so what? If it costs me an acceptance then that wasn't the school for me. I know it sounds crazy but some people actually are compassionate and aren't just applying to medical school because they have good grades and clinical experience.
Some amazing people I know cried in interviews. They got in, but not at schools where they cried.

I love the responses, even from the so-called experts.

I would honestly do your best not to cry during the interview. I say this only because it can come across as insincere. Otherwise don't listen to the wannabe gunners here on SDN. Be a human being, if it happens it happens but no false waterworks.

I was asked to elaborate about a point on my personal statement during an interview. I am a veteran which was relevant to the question. I got choked up and had to get a hold of myself for a moment. I also apologized at the end of the interview in probably a very awkward but sincere fashion. I got in there.

Be yourself. Be sincere. Be human. Things happen, just don't make them happen.

Last edited:
I love the responses, even from those so-called experts.

I would honestly do your best not to cry during the interview. I say this only because it can come across as insincere. Otherwise don't listen to the wannabe gunners here on SDN. Be a human being, if it happens it happens but no false waterworks.

I was asked to elaborate about a point on my personal statement during an interview. I am a veteran which was relevant to the question. I got choked up and had to get a hold of myself for a moment. I also apologized at the end of the interview in probably a very awkward but sincere fashion. I got in there.

Be yourself. Be sincere. Be human. Things happen, just don't make them happen.
I think I would be more understanding of a vet. you must of gone through and seen things which honestly no one should be put through. Much more significant than me feeling a sense of purpose during my once a week visits at my volunteering gig .. Thank you for your response and your service

At one of my interviews, a chick came out of hers in tears and I think it horrified all of us waiting in line to be interviewed! :scared:
You felt sorry for her because everyone knew that was a bad sign.

At 21, I learned that to be effective at your job, you need to suspend emotion until you get home. You can never predict when something truly horrible will happen, and how it will affect you. The truth is that you will never be able to fully care for your patients if you cannot deal with whatever is thrown at you. It's the strangest part of becoming really good as a health professional, because it's equally important to maintain empathy as it is to keep working when you're dying inside when something awful happens.

Just because of your avatar...

ugh I realize that I often tear up (although I'm not sure the other person can see) when I talk about something I'm passionate about lol. :shrug:

There's time and place for crying, but interviews are not one of them.

I once had an interviewer cry mid interview due to the recent passing of a friend that I apparently resembled. Pretty much everything after that point was unproductive.

There's time and place for crying, but interviews are not one of them.
And where might that time and place be? I never heard of people structuring their tears into their schedules like one may do a workout.

At 21, I learned that to be effective at your job, you need to suspend emotion until you get home. You can never predict when something truly horrible will happen, and how it will affect you. The truth is that you will never be able to fully care for your patients if you cannot deal with whatever is thrown at you. It's the strangest part of becoming really good as a health professional, because it's equally important to maintain empathy as it is to keep working when you're dying inside when something awful happens.

Separating yourself from things at work is a lot different from separating yourself from things that you yourself experienced. its easier for people to separate themselves from things they aren't directly affected by.

Some amazing people I know cried in interviews. They got in, but not at schools where they cried.
I am completely ok with not getting accepted to a school because of that reason. Not saying I'm preparing to cry at interviews but if it happens I don't think that should be the be all end all unless for whatever reason I am uncontrollable and gave a crappy interview afterward.

If you have to ask....

And where might that time and place be? I never heard of people structuring their tears into their schedules like one may do a workout.

At an interview you're supposed to display grace under pressure. You need to have professional reserve because someday you'll be giving bad news to people, or in a different situation, you can't go to pieces when you're facing a bleeding out MVA victim, or a an acting-out psychotic.

am completely ok with not getting accepted to a school because of that reason. Not saying I'm preparing to cry at interviews but if it happens I don't think that should be the be all end all unless for whatever reason I am uncontrollable and gave a crappy interview afterward.

Reactions: 6 users