1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

crying out for advice...please please please help me

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by eleena, May 13, 2008.

1. eleena

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey everyone,
    I need big help so any advice is appreciated.
    I have a very low GPA of 3.19 and oook DAT of Total science:21 AA:20 Pat:21
    Reading:17 Carving :23, i am also Canadian so we don’t have orgo and other parts in our DAT.
    However i have nice up-ride Gpa: starting from 2.76 in CC and finishing with 3.57 in university.
    i have lots of volunteering, research and work experiences from which I got good recommendation letters.
    This is my second time applying and I really want to get in this cycle. I applied very late last year and didn’t get one single interview☹…shame on me
    Now here is my problem:
    I want to apply early this cycle (hopefully by may 20) but I have an unfinished course from last term. I was not able to write the exam due to medical reasons and I have a deferred/ incomplete mark in my transcript. I have to write the make up final exam in mid June and my mark wont be ready until July. This course is not a pre-req course.
    What do I do..
    should I apply in may and leave that course incomplete?
    Or should I wait till july and then apply?
    Do schools look down to Deferred marks?
    And if I apply early should I just send my complete mark to AADSAS again or to schools I apply to?

Help me out of this misery.. I’m getting really depressed. Feel like I wont have chance this cycle either☹

2. SugarNaCl

SugarNaCl Dental Student
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Your situation seems a bit difficult. If you want to try to sure yourself into a program, I'm not so certain I would rush the application. It seems like even though you applied late last year, you still weren't prepared to apply early this year and that I don't understand very well. I suppose you have a shot, maybe but it will be difficult. If I were you I'd probably wait until next year and take the chance to work up that GPA or extra experience that the schools may want to see (such as an MS or research or dental experience or whatever depending on the school you like). Don't give up, but for some reason, this seems oddly rushed to me. Use your own judgement not mine bc I could be wrong. I think the earlier you apply the better and send them your grades when they come in. Good luck.

3. eleena

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    thank you soo much for your reply
    But do you mean i'm not ready?

4. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I dont think you need to hold just for the one class. You said its not a pre-req and there are plenty of people who apply with a whole YEAR of classes left and they get in. Your one non pre-req class isnt gonna mean a thing. It seems like you are in good shape except the GPA is on the low side but I wouldn't say it was "very" low. You did well in university and that upward trend should mean something. That DAT is pretty good but i don't know all the differences between Canadian and US so its hard for me to judge. i hear only some schools accept the Canadian DAT. Will you take the US?