Cryo and other blood products in the same line

Started by Low Flow
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Low Flow

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been told not to put cryo in the Belmont for fear of clots forming and necessitating replacement of the tubing. Do you exercise the same caution when it comes to running product through standard blood tubing? I was in a case where someone got on me for hanging platelets right after I hung cryo without first flushing in the cryo with crystalloid. Was trying to avoid giving extra crystalloid when I knew I was just going to be giving more product. I feel like I've done this a few times without it forming a clot in the tubing.
 
Once in a while when following yellows with yellows I’ve had the filter in the blood tubing get pretty gummed up, necessitated replacement on one occasion. never had a line clot off. If you’re slamming them in, who cares. If they’re slow dripping in, I’d give a quick rinse between.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't use the belmont, but I've had the blood tubing filter gum up with fibrin plugs when putting cryo and platelets through the same line, on multiple occasions. Never occluded the tubing itself but occasionally the filter gets gummed up enough that you have to replace it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't put platelets through the warmer so I usually just give those on a separate line/IV. Don't care about running blood through LR for regular transfusions. For Belmont would just use NS because its slightly better for volume expansion or use albumin.
 
I don't put platelets through the warmer so I usually just give those on a separate line/IV. Don't care about running blood through LR for regular transfusions. For Belmont would just use NS because its slightly better for volume expansion or use albumin.
Screenshot_20220209-172402_Opera.jpg