cryptocurrency forum (bitcoin and more)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can always use a credit card, and it is instantaneous.... just pay off your card lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Only $750 per week or so via the CC, though. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Check out coinmarketcal.com. It is a cryptocurrency calendar that lists upcoming events/announcements/updates for various coins. Given the lack of historical data, this might be the best information to use to get an edge.

Jan and Feb could be good months for litecoin. March important for IOTA.

Cardano is scheduled to update their roadmap tomorrow. After that, not much listed. Due for a pullback?

Disclaimer: I am a novice crypto investor and these are my biased predictions. :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Purchased Bitcoin and Litecoin on coinbase about a week ago but still waiting for the purchase to go through. Was planning to transfer that and purchase XRP and some others.....too late to buy XRP or you guys think it will continue to go up?

Wish these transactions happened faster so I could have cashed in on the huge gain.
I think it has reached its ceiling for now - it is at over 1/2 the market cap of BTC- the highest market cap of any cypto ever other than BTC - there just isn't any room for it grow. XLM is a main competitor to XRP - it is at 10% of the marketcap of XRP - put your money in it

Okay, now you are making me want to buy some of this stuff.
It's too bad pharmacists in general are so risk averse. Most of us are in the perfect position to retire off this.

Purchased Bitcoin and Litecoin on coinbase about a week ago but still waiting for the purchase to go through. Was planning to transfer that and purchase XRP and some others.....too late to buy XRP or you guys think it will continue to go up?

Wish these transactions happened faster so I could have cashed in on the huge gain.
Next time wire the money from your bank. It only takes 2 or 3 business days.

Anyone here can explain to me how to use the stop-limit buy-sell option on binance? I really could have used it when XRP topped out and plummeted way below what I bought it at.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The stop is the trigger to sell or buy. Sell in your case. The limit is when the trigger will be actuated, or better. So, you can set the limit at the same price, or slightly lower or higher.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of cashing out $80k in pure gains to pay off my student loans. I'll worry about the taxes next year.

That's awesome! When and how much did you invest to make that?

I think it has reached its ceiling for now - it is at over 1/2 the market cap of BTC- the highest market cap of any cypto ever other than BTC - there just isn't any room for it grow. XLM is a main competitor to XRP - it is at 10% of the marketcap of XRP - put your money in it

Why are you saying XLM is a main competitor for XRP? In what ways?

I'm having a hard time figuring out the initial cost of some of my investments. Unless I physically wrote them down (which I did for the majority), I don't know how to calculate the initial cost to see gains or losses. Someone halp. (using binance)

Taking the advice above completely on faith and with no expectations I'm in with:

TRX (Tron): $200 @ .22 (usd)
XLM (Stellar Lumens): $200 @ .73

Holding Ethereum in Coinbase as reserve in case something else comes up, and the week/month growth looks none too shabby.

ETH (Ethereum): $300

Goal: Make $1000 over the $750 I put in, pull it and they play with the house's money.

Like a dumdum I shifted things around and found myself with 660 because of transfer fees, but made it back to 700 with an ethereum spike before it got transfered to Binance. So far everything looks like it's roughly gone down 12%, but I feel naively confident holding the top two. I'm strongly considering putting in $250 more somewhere to make my investments a nice round grand. Any suggestions for diversification of the Etherium?

I'm having a hard time figuring out the initial cost of some of my investments. Unless I physically wrote them down (which I did for the majority), I don't know how to calculate the initial cost to see gains or losses. Someone halp. (using binance)

I only use the app so far, but if you go to "Trades", up in the top right there's a "Trades History" button that will tell you the amounts of your transactions. You'd have to calculate the costs from there I guess.

I only use the app so far, but if you go to "Trades", up in the top right there's a "Trades History" button that will tell you the amounts of your transactions. You'd have to calculate the costs from there I guess.
yes - it is a pain in the butt to calculate fifo accounting - I simply make a note every time I sell/trade/ Sold XRP X number of shares at $1.00 traded into BTC at 15,450 per BTC for xx number of BTC - orginal price of XRP was 0.25 for a realized gain of XXX. I use coin stat (iphone app) to keep track of my cyprtos It might be overkill, but if I do make it big, I don't want to get screwed over by the IRS.

PS - look at KIN - to be used on the KIK chat platform - still dirt cheap -0.0007 or something - I bought a million coins - not a big cost, but looks fun on paper.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you saying XLM is a main competitor for XRP? In what ways?

I think they will both compete for the same bank to bank transactions - sort of like how Fedex and UPS each compete for a companies shipping. A bank likely won't use both. Although Swift (not a cyrpto) currently has a monopoly on foreign bank transactions - and is roling out an upgrade this year - if it doesn't go smoothly - both of these cyrptos will moon.

XLM dipped <0.6 but I missed it. Gonna wait a couple more days to see if it goes back down. I bought a bunch of litecoin when it dipped <$215. I like dips.

TRX down to .16 (vs my .22 buy-in, holding) and looking swingy today so I'll try something saucy. Setting up a buy at .12 if it happens for $150, then make some fast profit if it goes over 14. Not sure if that will happen while I'm at work for the next 5 hours but if it does it will be entertaining.

TRX down to .16 (vs my .22 buy-in, holding) and looking swingy today so I'll try something saucy. Setting up a buy at .12 if it happens for $150, then make some fast profit if it goes over 14. Not sure if that will happen while I'm at work for the next 5 hours but if it does it will be entertaining.
Just bought a few thousand shares. If it gets back up to 22 going to cash out and call it a $200 day sitting on the couch. Don't see this one going much higher long term

Just bought a few thousand shares. If it gets back up to 22 going to cash out and call it a $200 day sitting on the couch. Don't see this one going much higher long term

That's what I'd do, too. Where I'm at, I'm willing to wait a week or so to see if it goes over .25, since at the current standing I lose less than $50 if i panic sell. I'll ride just to get the experience and the lesson.

Meanwhile I tried to side-play that BNB spike last night. Got in at 18.24 and it peaked soon after, dropped to 14. Dear me, I'm going to have to change my name to Peak-Breaker. Set a sell for 19.5 (the last peak) and let it get there, if it doesn't I can always use the BNB for fees. EDIT: Just checked and a peak of 19.42 was reached about 2 hours ago. I swear I'm cursed from making a profit at this so far :) EDIT 2: Looks like it sold at 19.5 per my order, then keeps/kept rising to 23.0. Whatever, I'm up my first $20 from a successful flip (- fees, + etherium value).

End of Shift Sat:
Keeping the open order for $150 of TRX @ .12 (doubt it will happen but still) and wait for a rise.
Keeping an eye out for a drop this weekend in BTC, LTC or ETH to inject that last $250.
Picked up AMB (29 @ $1.5) to quick flip when it reaches my sell order of 1.94 (about +$15 value to my account if it succeeds). I see the transfer fees work out to a fraction of a cent at this level, am I reading this correctly?

Last edited:
Why don't you guys buy and hold? That's usually how you make big gains. Also don't buy at the top, you have to get a coin before it starts getting pumped.

I just started doing this bitcoin stuff, I bought $25 bitcoin on coinbase last night. I plan to buy $25 worth of bitcoin every week for the next few yrs. Then sell when I can pay off my student loans in one go. Am I doing this rite?

I just started doing this bitcoin stuff, I bought $25 bitcoin on coinbase last night. I plan to buy $25 worth of bitcoin every week for the next few yrs. Then sell when I can pay off my student loans in one go. Am I doing this rite?

I hope you're joking (hard to tell sometimes on here), but it's your money to gamble on. Do what you please.

Buy low, sell high (as always).

I hope you're joking (hard to tell sometimes on here), but it's your money to gamble on. Do what you please.

This is obvious advice. But with these coins you never know what they do. A couple of times I sold after multiplying 2 or 3 fold. And then they keep going. Heck I sold ripples after a 1000% gain. Then it almost doubled again. You just never know. I know split the difference and take a little profit and set levels so I preserve my capital but will have some skin in the game.

Why don't you guys buy and hold? That's usually how you make big gains.
Also don't buy at the top, you have to get a coin before it starts getting pumped.

I am caught in this thinking as well (HODL 24/7). I can't bring myself to sell any, but then again maybe that would change if I had put more $ into it.

What about dollar cost averaging? Investing a set amount per month in bitcoin. I’m comfortable doing that, Bitcoin has a positive trajectory long term anyway and has survived many instances where people say it should have died

I am caught in this thinking as well (HODL 24/7). I can't bring myself to sell any, but then again maybe that would change if I had put more $ into it.
Hodl until you have enough to pay off student loans in one go, then re buy more bitcoin right after lol

I buy $50 a day. Doing that for a while. Don’t really care about the price especially if you think it’ll hit 50k, 100k and so on

I buy $50 a day. Doing that for a while. Don’t really care about the price especially if you think it’ll hit 50k, 100k and so on
So you’re spending about $1500 per month on bitcoin? Are you buying on coin base and have it automated?

Very good, in a few yrs when the gains manifest you can cash out for a big purchase or keep holding for more money
Yeah its worth it. Bitcoin is so volatile you will regret $20 weekly. It could go up 2-3k in a week. This way with $50/day profits increase faster and its a smaller amount rather than 2k all at once. I honestly just look at it as a second bank account that holds my cash

I’m sitting happy with $TRX $PACcoin $Linda $Mint - all of which have gone up 500% over the past week..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red day today...

Those eth gains have been wild lately!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The time to buy more is upon us my friend.

Are you a long time HODLER? Or a Day Trader?

I have a 3 Coins that I’m HODLING long term (hoping to use them to pay off my student loans when I finish pharmacy school).. but I have a few more that I’m day trading with right now..

What exchange to yo use to buy those? I use poloniex

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use Binance, Cryptopia, Kucoin, BleuTrade, and Gemini.

I transfer money from CoinBase to GDAX then to the individual exchange.. (I made the mistake of skipping GDAX the first few times and paid about 10% in fees..)

I’m trying to get on with Bittrex but they closed their account registration... :/

Nice. I always am nervous about the really small cryptos -any calls for the next week or two? I've yet to make 500% gain!

I would definitely DYOR on these - I don’t want you to come back blaming me for giving you “financial advice”.. (lol).. but I have seen a lot of talk going on about TRON (TRX) for the coming few weeks.. I have ~2500 coins holding strong win them..

If you want to minimize your risk - buy up some PACcoin - they’re fairly cheap - I bought ~385,000 for $10 - because it was only $10 and I got lucky on it - it’s worth about $130 right now..

XLM has so good thing coming in the near future as well..

I’m a believer in Verge and what it can do for privacy so I’m holding around 1,000 coins with them - even though it ranked pretty hard on the first..

Dogecoin is roughly a penny a coin right now and it’s said to gain a lot of momentum here soon as well..

I’m geeky so i bought into the HTML coin @ BleuTrade - it’s gone up significantly as well..

I started trading 12/25/17 so I’m still pretty new to this.. the one thing I have found is that if you’re planning on holding long term - definitely download a wallet or get a hardware wallet (don’t buy one off of eBay - but directly from the manufacturer - see this link: )

Definitely Store all of your long term coins in a wallet..

I can afford to lose $10-$20 on a few <$0.01 coins.. all it takes is one to skyrocket and it pays off in the long run.. lol..

Last edited:
And another thing: I know DYOR is very much a must but could we start a list of credible references, exchanges, maybe even podcasts/YouTubers?

I got about 1.5 hr avg at least when driving to and from work and like to listen to news etc to keep myself updated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would definitely DYOR on these - I don’t want you to come back blaming me for giving you “financial advice”.. (lol).. but I have seen a lot of talk going on about TRON (TRX) for the coming few weeks.. I have ~2500 coins holding strong win them..

If you want to minimize your risk - buy up some PACcoin - they’re fairly cheap - I bought ~385,000 for $10 - because it was only $10 and I got lucky on it - it’s worth about $130 right now..

XLM has so good thing coming in the near future as well..

I’m a believer in Verge and what it can do for privacy so I’m holding around 1,000 coins with them - even though it ranked pretty hard on the first..

Dogecoin is roughly a penny a coin right now and it’s said to gain a lot of momentum here soon as well..

I’m geeky so i bought into the HTML coin @ BleuTrade - it’s gone up significantly as well..

I started trading 12/25/17 so I’m still pretty new to this.. the one thing I have found is that if you’re planning on holding long term - definitely download a wallet or get a hardware wallet (don’t buy one off of eBay - but directly from the manufacturer - see this link: )

Definitely Store all of your long term coins in a wallet..

I can afford to lose $10-$20 on a few <$0.01 coins.. all it takes is one to skyrocket and it pays off in the long run.. lol..

Also, if your life savings is only 34k don't put it all in crypto.

Red day today...

Those eth gains have been wild lately!

ETH is what's been holding me even through the XLM/TRX short term drops.

I pulled the trigger and put in the $250 into BTC @1440, even shifted some ETH into there. I'm betting (no foundation for this assumption) that BTC may spike over what I'd gain in ETH in the short term, so I'll sit on this a few days and see. Were I not trying for aggressive gains/losses, I'd hold with ETH.

Also, if your life savings is only 34k don't put it all in crypto.
Diversification is the best thing you could do with anything... if you’re going to play the crypto market, which is extremely volatile, you need to diversify your funds between the risky and the safe(r) coins... bitcoin is considered the Gold of the crypto world and Ethereum is considered the Silver..

Binance and cryptopia aren't allowing new users at this time :-/

Binance just sent out a tweet on Twitter that they opened registration back up..

If you haven’t signed up yet, would you mind using my referral link/code?

www.binance.com/?ref=16870132

I haven’t seen anything from Cryptopia yet - but if I do, I’ll let you know..

Same thing with Cryptopia - if you don’t mind, use my referral link: Cryptopia - Register

I use Binance, Cryptopia, Kucoin, BleuTrade, and Gemini.

I transfer money from CoinBase to GDAX then to the individual exchange.. (I made the mistake of skipping GDAX the first few times and paid about 10% in fees..)

Is it better to go through GDAX when extracting as well?

Do you guys leave money in coinbase or tansfer them to blockchain? To limit fees do you guys send them to gdax then Blockchain?

Do you guys leave money in coinbase or tansfer them to blockchain? To limit fees do you guys send them to gdax then Blockchain?

I'm working with Coinbase and Binance only, but I didn't know the gdax trick so I'm out that 10%.

I put another 250 on Ethereum in Coinbase that I'll leave there.

Hoe many of these coins tha are associated with business have actual use/value? Meaning being used today, not just an idea for the future? Bnb is. any others? If so, what is their actual use. Not just theoretical use/value.

Only one coin to my knowledge has actual serious use and that is Monero (XMR) which is a ring-signature anonymous coin that is used for over 500,000,000 USD worth in transactions a year on the dark net markets mainly buying illegal drugs. Most of the illegal drug exchanges are switching from Bitcoin to Monero for security reasons. Sure other coins like Steemit are used for some things but it's hardly significant.

can you buy these altcoints on sites like bittrex with USD, or do you have to get bitcoin in Coinbase and transfer that over and use bitcoin to buy the other coins?

You have to use Coinbase then transfer to the smaller exchanges like Bittrex. Bittrex doesn't deal with fiat. In fact almost every exchange doesn't accept USD bc it opens up a can of worms for US laws.

I couldn't sworn i posted this:

I'm seeing a lot of chatter about XRP actually being a conspiracy by "Big Banks" to gain control of all of the BTC.

What do you guys think?
I don't like XRP. The whole point of crypto is decentralization and Ripple is the opposite of that.

Glad I've got my bulk in ETH right now.