cryptocurrency forum (bitcoin and more)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not sure if you guys know about this website but this seems to be good website to calculate your tax for cryptos

cointracking.info and bitcoin.tax

has any one tried or know about how reliable are those ?? any idea??

Members don't see this ad.

I am very skeptical of buying cryprocurrency. All it takes is a handful of governments deciding to regulate/ban them to completely devalue what you have. Right now prices are flying around due to speculative hype and not necessarily tangible wealth. Once that hype dies down, or there is fear via regulation, the trading of cryptocurrencies will be dead. That's just my 2 cents.

I am very skeptical of buying cryprocurrency. All it takes is a handful of governments deciding to regulate/ban them to completely devalue what you have. Right now prices are flying around due to speculative hype and not necessarily tangible wealth. Once that hype dies down, or there is fear via regulation, the trading of cryptocurrencies will be dead. That's just my 2 cents.
Just remember, governments devalue their own fiat currency every day, including the US dollar. Cryptocurrency is new, but a more secure currency in the long term. And will allow billions more people to become involved in the world economy.

Educate yourself so that you can gain confidence in our new currency system. You will be using it soon enough. We all will.

I suggest starting by reading the Internet of Money. It is easy to read and a great primer on the topic. It is not technical.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very simple guys. Invest what you can afford to lose! Period. I have a huge chunk of 401K in stock/bonds from my employer. I just leave it there 90% and let them invest for me. The rest 10% is playing money. With cryto, I started buying stuff when it's on sale... and resell when it's high. My max play with crypto is no more than 5000USD. Also, I have my own stock portfolio (around 90K) in which I hold 50% large cap tech companies: AAPL, AMZN, FB; 30% is small cap ETF, 10% Gold/silver company and 10% is playing/speculating. Lastly, my house is the safest bet. At the end of the day, I always need a shelter to live in. Gladly I bought it back 2012....at bottom price. It's nearly double up now in Southern California market. I won't sell it, though...because everywhere else around here inflated as much high.

Neo is looking good for 2018. I been following it since it was $15 and sold when it was $27. I got back in there and I think it will be a good hold for 2018. It is like Ethereum and it has a bunch of ICOs. I expect the price to go up because of too many reasons. The most recent ICO whitelist opened last night and closed within 15 minutes because too many people interested. The quality of NEO ICOs are much higher than Ethereum ICOs. Holding NEO tokens also pay dividends in the form of gas. Gas was like $10 and now over $75. Binance pays dividend but bittrex doesn't so be careful where you hold your NEO coins.

Crypto Getting crushed today- does anyone know why? Working and can't follow

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
don't look - it will make you sad - unless you have some fiat to put in - korea said they are not banning - so not sure - probably just a lot of profit taking, and people freaking

It has happened about this time the past 3 years, at least partially due to lunar new year and a great deal of money being spent for celebrations. Add that to China and S. Korea FUD, and general panic, you have the perfect storm for a sell off. But, this is good for market health long term. Patience is very important.

This is why:

BTC will recover briefly then down it goes

Fear is already seeking in. It will take a couple more major events for people to panic. I say if it goes below $8,000, people are going to dump it like crazy.

I might buy some BTC if I can get it at the right price...certainly not $10,000, not even $8,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has happened about this time the past 3 years, at least partially due to lunar new year and a great deal of money being spent for celebrations. Add that to China and S. Korea FUD, and general panic, you have the perfect storm for a sell off. But, this is good for market health long term. Patience is very important.

This is unlike the other times. I think the future of crypto is really called into question here. Governments aren't sitting by letting people sneak money into a rogue currency. I don't own any btc...just my 2 cents.

Time to buy is now that is forsure. Don’t panic sell.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If bad news keep on coming out, what is going to stop BTC from falling? It is all speculation. There is no earning report. It is not linked to some metal or economy.

I don’t think it is too late to get out (yet).

i bought 6 bitcoins in 2014. fundamentals of bitcoin were not very different then and there was plenty of hype and it slowly bled after hitting a top of 1k a few yrs before.

ringing the warning bell here because what's happening now reminds me of what happened then. not much different fundamentals, hype, slow bleed. id get out of coins now and invest in the stock market instead although id buy coins on glaring trading opportunities rather than on seemingly cheap entry points to go long

If bad news keep on coming out, what is going to stop BTC from falling? It is all speculation. There is no earning report. It is not linked to some metal or economy.

Speculation is what is causing it to drop as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confluence of factors contributing here, including the prospective Chinese ban on centralized exchanges and mining, South Korea flatline (no new users on exchanges until end of Jan), Lunar New Year and cyclical correction which has happened every Jan for the past several years. Best time to buy is now - crypto will crash when the whole economy crashes i.e. not yet.

And when it does crash, buy yourself cryptos with real use cases, revenue models and large-scale government/corporate backing - Factom, VeChain, etc.

In the end, governments will regulate crypto, but they won't ban it [and effectively ban blockchain in the process]. You need only read how blockchain alters the way we operate in supply chain and compliance, among other industry laterals/verticals, to see that there's too much at stake to ban it entirely.

Last edited:
Time to buy is now that is forsure. Don’t panic sell.

How high is to high, how low is to low? Only hindsight will be able to tell you for sure. Problem with these coins is there is really no type of analysis for them. Just wild speculation and greed. No technical analysis or fundamental analysis. Dr. Google says there are at least 1384 different cryptocurrencies and growing daily. Which ones will be the next magic ones that go through the roof? We should start our own and sell when the price goes up. Pharmacoins? Maybe "drugcoins" which should be a big winner. We can talk it up on forums. Could be a lot of social media how its run by clinical pharms, or old pharms, so it has to be good. Heck if facebook ads "may" have helped elect a president it should make us rich. let the new grads have our jobs. We would all be retired. My idea so I want a percentage of them at a fair price. Everybody in?

Odd, but it might actually work.

How high is to high, how low is to low? Only hindsight will be able to tell you for sure. Problem with these coins is there is really no type of analysis for them. Just wild speculation and greed. No technical analysis or fundamental analysis. Dr. Google says there are at least 1384 different cryptocurrencies and growing daily. Which ones will be the next magic ones that go through the roof? We should start our own and sell when the price goes up. Pharmacoins? Maybe "drugcoins" which should be a big winner. We can talk it up on forums. Could be a lot of social media how its run by clinical pharms, or old pharms, so it has to be good. Heck if facebook ads "may" have helped elect a president it should make us rich. let the new grads have our jobs. We would all be retired. My idea so I want a percentage of them at a fair price. Everybody in?

Odd, but it might actually work.
Look up "Dentacoin" - crypto for dental offices. :laugh:
There are a lot of crap coins out there, and hype takes them all the way to the moon. And then there are the coins with compelling value props that are playing the 3-5 year long game and could change entire industries - e.g. Ambrosus in supply chain integrity and/or actually already HAVE F100 clients, working product and revenue e.g. Factom in data management.

People anchor their attitudes to cryptocurrencies from the namesake - but there's more to it than just store of value. You may not be able to run a traditional fundamental analysis but you can certainly measure relative value through due diligence and gap analysis.

Last edited:

What's your buying range and why?

Look up "Dentacoin" - crypto for dental offices. :laugh:
There are a lot of crap coins out there, and hype takes them all the way to the moon. And then there are the coins with compelling value props that are playing the 3-5 year long game and could change entire industries - e.g. Ambrosus in supply chain integrity and/or actually already HAVE F100 clients, working product and revenue e.g. Factom in data management.

People anchor their attitudes to cryptocurrencies from the namesake - but there's more to it than just store of value. You may not be able to run a traditional fundamental analysis but you can certainly measure relative value through due diligence and gap analysis.

I am not sure you can really due a gap analysis on something of this nature. These things are in some ways like new beanie babies. A fad that may or may not last. a craze where everyone wants to get rich.

As far as crap coins that hype takes them all the way to the moon- I am fine with that. If our "Drugcoins" go even half way to the moon. I am good with that.

qYafwZW.png

Bitconnect imploded first and seems to have precipitated a chain reaction.

And now...to the moon?

Edit: Maybe just a false start, but it plays out 2 ways. A. It goes up and I enjoy my gains, or B. It stays low and I get extra disposable income on Friday.

Last edited:
I am not sure you can really due a gap analysis on something of this nature. These things are in some ways like new beanie babies. A fad that may or may not last. a craze where everyone wants to get rich.

As far as crap coins that hype takes them all the way to the moon- I am fine with that. If our "Drugcoins" go even half way to the moon. I am good with that.
I guess it's all relative - you can do relative gap analysis, not based on financial performance but other fundamentals. i.e. If I know that Nebulas (NAS), a 3rd gen blockchain platform that aims to be the Google of blockchains with a search engine, eliminate hard forks, utilize lightning network, be dApp capable and introduce Proof of Devotion, is currently 300M market cap with an all-star leadership team, and other 3rd gen blockchain platforms like EOS, NEO and Cardano are 5-20B, you can bet I'll be putting my money there. [And yes, I'm shilling it, go buy it, it will 10x within a few months unless crypto crashes hard]

The difference between the beanie babies/tulips crazes and this one is that blockchain is truly a revolutionary technology and will up-end contemporary practices in a number of sectors. Marketing does matter and will make people a ton of money, but only until the real competitors come to play. See How blockchains could change the world | McKinsey & Company.

I'd liken it more to the internet craze, where 1000s of companies sprang up, and only a few remained once the ashes cleared. There will be tech unicorns borne out of this. Question is which ones will be the next FAANG?

Last edited:
What's your buying range and why?

Who knows...there is no way to value BTC. If you can't value BTC, then it is not an investment. It is just pure speculation...like putting your money on red. You might get lucky like betting on amazon.com or you might not like betting on pets.com.

The way I see...every time there is a major drop, it goes back up but not to the previous level. This shows it is getting weaker and weaker. I think something major needs to happen like a couple of times before people start to loss confidence in cryptocurrency. When that happens, people are going to rush for the exit like fire in a club.

If I were to "invest" in BTC, I would get in and out....it is not a long term investment. I certainly wouldn't buy it now. Maybe when it goes down 90% from its high.

Who knows...there is no way to value BTC. If you can't value BTC, then it is not an investment. It is just pure speculation...like putting your money on red. You might get lucky like betting on amazon.com or you might not like betting on pets.com.

The way I see...every time there is a major drop, it goes back up but not to the previous level. This shows it is getting weaker and weaker. I think something major needs to happen like a couple of times before people start to loss confidence in cryptocurrency. When that happens, people are going to rush for the exit like fire in a club.

If I were to "invest" in BTC, I would get in and out....it is not a long term investment. I certainly wouldn't buy it now. Maybe when it goes down 90% from its high.

Amazon is lucky?

I guess it's all relative - you can do relative gap analysis, not based on financial performance but other fundamentals. i.e. If I know that Nebulas (NAS), a 3rd gen blockchain platform that aims to be the Google of blockchains with a search engine, eliminate hard forks, utilize lightning network, be dApp capable and introduce Proof of Devotion, is currently 300M market cap with an all-star leadership team, and other 3rd gen blockchain platforms like EOS, NEO and Cardano are 5-20B, you can bet I'll be putting my money there. [And yes, I'm shilling it, go buy it, it will 10x within a few months unless crypto crashes hard]

The difference between the beanie babies/tulips crazes and this one is that blockchain is truly a revolutionary technology and will up-end contemporary practices in a number of sectors. Marketing does matter and will make people a ton of money, but only until the real competitors come to play. See How blockchains could change the world | McKinsey & Company.

I'd liken it more to the internet craze, where 1000s of companies sprang up, and only a few remained once the ashes cleared. There will be tech unicorns borne out of this. Question is which ones will be the next FAANG?

We all know how the technology works. I've been interested in this since the early 10s. Granted, I've avoided it, but it interests me. The problem for me is that there is no reason for the value of the individual "currency" to increase. End users do not care what the value of the "currency" is. They use it as a mechanism of exchange. Let's be honest...this stuff is used to move money to another country like India or Mexico to avoid taxation and fees...and for use on thee dark web. They will be buying X amount of crypto...moving it elsewhere...and converting it to a national currency elsewhere. There are a few zealots that actually try to make this a real currency, sure, but that isn't what is happening in the real world. National currencies aren't being displaced. People are speculating. And as they speculate the fees to actually use the products are rising. As such, there is no reason for the value of an individual currency to be worth anything, really. Just because the tech is awesome doesn't mean that an individual product will be worth anything or avoid being rendered obsolete.

That's what most of us that are avoiding it are afraid of. And that's why I'm not touching it. The economics just aren't there for me personally. I do hope that everyone on here makes a lot of money.

Last edited:
In the late 90s, early 2000s, yes. DotCom Bubble.

So at the point everyone knew Amazon was for real it wasn't?

My point is simple, every day/month/year people say Amazon is too expensive yet it continues to go up. I'm never going to tell someone to get in on something in it's early phase but once it's clear, it's time to get in.

Sure say I'm lucky on Bitcoin or Amazon but I've destroyed the market with both. I already called my top in Bitcoin and it looks pretty good right now. I don't think crypto is over yet though.

We all know how the technology works. I've been in on this since the early 00s. Granted, I've avoided it, but it interests me. The problem for me is that there is no reason for the value of the individual "currency" to increase. End users do not care what the value of the "currency" is. They use it as a mechanism of exchange. Let's be honest...this stuff is used to move money to another country like India or Mexico to avoid taxation and fees...and for use on thee dark web. They will be buying X amount of crypto...moving it elsewhere...and converting it to a national currency elsewhere. There are a few zealots that actually try to make this a real currency, sure, but that isn't what is happening in the real world. National currencies aren't being displaced. People are speculating. And as they speculate the fees to actually use the products are rising. As such, there is no reason for the value of an individual currency to be worth anything, really. Just because the tech is awesome doesn't mean that an individual product will be worth anything or avoid being rendered obsolete.

That's what most of us that are avoiding it are afraid of. And that's why I'm not touching it. The economics just aren't there for me personally. I do hope that everyone on here makes a lot of money.

This is all pointless, you trade to make money.

All that's going on here is a bunch of people trying to be right since they missed out on the easy trade last year.

All that's going on here is a bunch of people trying to be right since they missed out on the easy trade last year.

When something is priced solely via speculation, it isn't an "easy trade." Ever. Because you aren't acting as an objective person weighing data, but as a person that is trying to predict the ebbs and flows of perception and human behavior. If you somehow knew that people would show such speculative behavior, I tip my hat to you. Humans are very hard to predict. But let's not act like it's based on any sort of technical data making it an "easy trade."

I'm just pissed Fry's or Amazon has no 1060s for sale for who knows how long

When something is priced solely via speculation, it isn't an "easy trade." Ever. Because you aren't acting as an objective person weighing data, but as a person that is trying to predict the ebbs and flows of perception and human behavior. If you somehow knew that people would show such speculative behavior, I tip my hat to you. Humans are very hard to predict. But let's not act like it's based on any sort of technical data making it an "easy trade."

Well as long as you view trading this way, you will continue to miss out. I'll get out of Amazon when the market reaches my level where I believe it's time to protect. After the crash though, I'll be right back in it, easily beating the market once again.

Then why even comment?

My point is simple, everyone understands the risks and if not they shouldn't be trading.

I want to retire in my 50s not 60s. I also want my family to live a fulfilling life.

Then why even comment?

My point is simple, everyone understands the risks and if not they shouldn't be trading.

I want to retire in my 50s not 60s. I also want my family to live a fulfilling life.

A) I find it interesting
B) I think risk outweighs the reward in this instance
C) I probably will, too.

A) I find it interesting
B) I think risk outweighs the reward in this instance
C) I probably will, too.

Your life must be much simpler then mine.

Outside of a recession, I would say Amazon beats the market every single year for the unforeseen future. I see zero risk this year.

Wow, I wish I came across this thread sooner. I've spent the past two weeks reading everything I can about blockchain. Andreas Antonopoulos has some incredible videos on youTube. I really think this will change the world.

One coin I would recommend getting into now is raiblocks the technology behind it is solid and it will soon be on Binance which will make it increase in value dramatically like it did with VIBE.
I invested in Tron, Ripple, Cardano, Verge and Raiblocks what did you guys invest in?

Is BTC going under 10 k again? Second time in a week.

We all know how the technology works. I've been interested in this since the early 10s. Granted, I've avoided it, but it interests me. The problem for me is that there is no reason for the value of the individual "currency" to increase. End users do not care what the value of the "currency" is. They use it as a mechanism of exchange. Let's be honest...this stuff is used to move money to another country like India or Mexico to avoid taxation and fees...and for use on thee dark web. They will be buying X amount of crypto...moving it elsewhere...and converting it to a national currency elsewhere. There are a few zealots that actually try to make this a real currency, sure, but that isn't what is happening in the real world. National currencies aren't being displaced. People are speculating. And as they speculate the fees to actually use the products are rising. As such, there is no reason for the value of an individual currency to be worth anything, really. Just because the tech is awesome doesn't mean that an individual product will be worth anything or avoid being rendered obsolete.

From posts here it doesn't seem like everyone understands the implications of blockchain so that's why I stress it here.

The % of cryptocurrencies being used as dark money hasn't been quantified, and while it is used to move money illicitly I don't think that detracts from the utility of the tech in other spheres. Many cryptocurrencies don't even aim to displace fiat now, even if that was the original aim with BTC. Now, whether these utility tokens can generate returns for investors is anyone's guess and depends on speculation in the short term and adoption rate and obsolescence in the long term. I'm willing to take the risk. As always it's a DYOR type of thing. I thought I'd at least put forward the other side of the coin for other people to draw their own conclusions and act accordingly.

One coin I would recommend getting into now is raiblocks the technology behind it is solid and it will soon be on Binance which will make it increase in value dramatically like it did with VIBE.
I invested in Tron, Ripple, Cardano, Verge and Raiblocks what did you guys invest in?
You're better off with NEO and Monero than Tron and Verge :)

Is BTC going under 10 k again? Second time in a week.

Entirely possible. BTC dipped twice last year in Jan. CME futures expire this Friday. Support lines at 9200, 8600, 8000.

Last edited:
I know you still have money in the game.

I posted way back when I was out.

Keep posting though so you can say I told you so.

BTC buy time is approaching. Correction over about mid February.

It's dot.com 2000. Gamble away. Maybe you luck out, maybe you lose it all :)

Don't worry you won't see anyone posting their losing trade in the internet, all of their gamble make $, they are all winners. That's just how internet works.

I posted way back when I was out.

Keep posting though so you can say I told you so.

sounds a bit salty for someone who supposedly doesn't have skin the game anymore.

sounds a bit salty for someone who supposedly doesn't have skin the game anymore.

My issue is simple. People want advice and while the lazy advice is index and you'll be fine, some people want more. If you do your research and not get greedy, there's nothing wrong with having play money that you try to double up on. I made nearly 6 figures off of 200k last year. You have indexers with nearly 2 million who barely did better.

I desperately want back in but I don't see the momentum yet so no I've been out. I'm a good trader not a greedy one.

It's so funny seeing the excuses though especially I made money too. Well yeah we all did but if you own the stock, you made so much more.

Any specific reason you think this or just historical and chart analysis?

Analysis fueled by hope.

BTC is fighting the $10,000 level. It needs good news for it to get out of this hole.

Any specific reason you think this or just historical and chart analysis?

A combination of many sources, including TA and market history. BTC has been bouncing off of $10000, with previous support line at about $8700. Once the Bears get tired of selling, money will move back in across the board.