C's on my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted98530

Hey,

I got 2 C's in chemistry and I was wondering if osteopathic schools will accept that because I heard that C's were not accepted. I would retake those classes but I have time conflicts with other classes I need. But I took orgo and got A's in that and I have taken a bunch of upper level science classes and gotten A's in those as well. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

buckeyegirl said:
Hey,

I got 2 C's in chemistry and I was wondering if osteopathic schools will accept that because I heard that C's were not accepted. I would retake those classes but I have time conflicts with other classes I need. But I took orgo and got A's in that and I have taken a bunch of upper level science classes and gotten A's in those as well. Thanks

C is the lowest grade you can get for them to be "accepted." However, I would strongly suggest that you retake the classes in order to be competitive (unless you have a great MCAT score). Do it during the summer at a CC if you have to. Remember, the second grade REPLACES the first grade on the AACOMAS application.

The fact that you got As in upper level sciences is good, but it still will only help you to retake the classes where you got Cs.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
buckeyegirl said:
Hey,

Don't retake C's.

Osteopathic schools take lots of C's. Allopathic schools take some C's too.

The person who told you that osteopathic schools do not take C's should be sent this way, so he can be dealt with appropriately.

Dr Trek 1 said:
C is the lowest grade you can get for them to be "accepted." However, I would strongly suggest that you retake the classes in order to be competitive (unless you have a great MCAT score). Do it during the summer at a CC if you have to. Remember, the second grade REPLACES the first grade on the AACOMAS application.

The fact that you got As in upper level sciences is good, but it still will only help you to retake the classes where you got Cs.

Good luck!

I disagree. If you are applying to MD schools, then you may consider retaking C's, but it is overkill to do that for DO schools.

Why do people make it seem like as long as you are decent then you are a shoo-in for osteopathic schools? I have a 3.3 gpa, 3.15 sci, and I am very worried about getting in. My MCAT will be 30+ if it is anything like my practice scores, but everyone has to remember that for DO schools there are like 9000 applicants at every one of the 20 schools.

PS. I would retake the C's

buckeyegirl said:
Hey,

C's? You're on top of your game. you're all over that ball like white on rice.
Don't retake...just smile and say, see....c!

DRKUBA said:
Why do people make it seem like as long as you are decent then you are a shoo-in for osteopathic schools? I have a 3.3 gpa, 3.15 sci, and I am very worried about getting in. My MCAT will be 30+ if it is anything like my practice scores, but everyone has to remember that for DO schools there are like 9000 applicants at every one of the 20 schools.

PS. I would retake the C's

If you make a 28 and have those stats, you WILL get in somewhere if you apply to enough places.

They key is applying to enough places.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you make a 28 and have those stats, you WILL get in somewhere if you apply to enough places.

They key is applying to enough places.

Ive read that over and over again. but I still don't understand how that can be said when there are soo many applicant for osteopathic schools. Isn't the stat that 1/2 get into MD schools and 1/3 get into DO schools? I realize that the stats are lower for osteopath, but I cannot imagine 5000 applicants with much worse stats per school.

HunterGatherer said:
you are fine as long as they are not C-'s

Best avatar ever....I'm totally in love with that caveman.

To the OP - who cares, it's chemistry.

DRKUBA said:
Ive read that over and over again. but I still don't understand how that can be said when there are soo many applicant for osteopathic schools. Isn't the stat that 1/2 get into MD schools and 1/3 get into DO schools? I realize that the stats are lower for osteopath, but I cannot imagine 5000 applicants with much worse stats per school.

Pay less attention to the applicant numbers. They are misleading. People get accepted to multiple schools and do not attend them. Other people get accepted to MD and DO schools and attend the MD school. Other people apply to the school and drop their application.

If you have the time and are really worried about it, then I would retake. But I wouldn't rearrange my schedule just to do it or freak out about it. They might look at those and ask you about them though (I know I always did when I helped do some interviewing), but they are not a big deal. I had a C too and it was in gen chem (suck...). You need to be stellar in other areas as well. EC activities, shadowing experience, LORs, etc. Be interesting and original (but not weird), and you'll do fine.

Sure, if you get a 28+ on your MCAT I wouldn't worry about retaking the Cs. However, the OP did not say whether or not he or she has taken the MCAT or what his or her score was.

Sure, if you apply to 20 DO schools with two Cs and an MCAT score above 22 you will get in some places. But, isn't it nice to have more of a choice of the school you want to attend? Retaking the C classes (even if you just retake one of them) may give you that extra edge to get into schools where you would have otherwise been on the fence.

If you can't retake them, fine. Study hard for the MCAT. But if you do retake them, it can only help you in being more competitive for a DO school you want to go to.

buckeyegirl said:
Hey,

Forget it. If your grades since then have been stellar, then there's no reason to worry about it. A lot of people have some C's and still get in.