CS/Tech to Med School Advice -- when to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayrads

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I graduated with a CS degree in 2019 thinking I'd be a software engineer. I've been drawn to healthcare especially working with underserved communities so after college I turned down industry software engineering gigs to work in the biotech world, but I've realized that this is unfulfilling for me and I would love to practice medicine. I've worked directly with physicians so I've been able to see their day-to-day and am eager to leave tech industry altogether to pursue medicine. I've also done some medical interpreting and virtual shadowing to confirm this. I did a year-long public health program in my undergrad as well.

My problem is that I don't have many clinical hours or any of the science prereqs besides all of the math, Physics I, and Psych. I have done a lot of volunteering but mostly in the education field and community outreach in underserved communities. My ECs mostly consist of mentoring and using my CS background to highlight disparities in health.

My undergrad GPA is 3.63, though probably around 3.9ish in the relevant courses (ie Calc I-III, Stats, Physics I, Psych, Neuro, Public Health). I have one coauthor publication but its mostly CS-related.

My question is-- would it be at all possible to start my med school applications next year (apply Fall 2022 for Fall 2023 admission)? My current plan is to take 2-3 prereqs each quarter starting this spring (Chem I and Bio I, maybe Physics II) and try to scale my work hours down to part-time or find a different part-time gig. I'll probably also have to take out some loans to cover the cost of tuition unless I keep working full-time.

I also plan to do more volunteer medical interpreting, more shadowing, etc, though I'm worried that this wouldn't count as clinical experience since it's virtual. I also plan to keep up with my current volunteer work in education and outreach. I'll be prepping for the MCAT while doing all of this. Does this seem reasonable aka would I have any chance at all of potentially getting an acceptance somewhere or should I plan on waiting 2 years instead of 1 year to apply? I'm super new to this so any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

One year time frame would be incredibly tight to complete all year long sequences, adequately study for the MCAT, and prepare a well rounded application with clinical experience and shadowing. I would plan on two years unless you are in a favorable area for taking courses and getting the experiences you need.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar spot to you but my timeline is more like 2-3 years because I've got to continue working. I'd say probably 2 cycles from now would be better than trying to cram too much meat into a sausage and burning out before you even get there, imo. Good luck!