Step II CS tomorrow, last minute question

Started by DCDAWG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DCDAWG

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can you just order a CMP instead of writing electrolytes, Bun/Cr, and LFTs if its indicated on CS? I think first aid said something about ordering these things spearately. Thanks!
 
Can you just order a CMP instead of writing electrolytes, Bun/Cr, and LFTs if its indicated on CS? I think first aid said something about ordering these things spearately. Thanks!

Nope, gotta order it separately. I think the only combo order i put was CBC w Differential...

You can however put correlated ones (e.g. AST/ALT/Bili/Alk Phos) on the same line.
 
Nope, gotta order it separately. I think the only combo order i put was CBC w Differential...

You can however put correlated ones (e.g. AST/ALT/Bili/Alk Phos) on the same line.

so if i want lft's and bmp...id have to put alt/ast/ alk phos/bili on one line and make another line for my na/k/cl/co2/bun/cr/glu ? i cant put all the labs on one line?
thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so if i want lft's and bmp...id have to put alt/ast/ alk phos/bili on one line and make another line for my na/k/cl/co2/bun/cr/glu ? i cant put all the labs on one line?
thanks.

i just put it all on one line....maybe you arent supposed to but i passed so what the hell
 
I wrote CMP, but i wrote separately: AST/ALT. i tend to believe that writing the note can look like one of your SOAPs', since Drs grade them. it's exactly how i wrote mine, w/ many more abrevs than what USMLE has listed on their website. I failed, but...i kid i kid, i passed, and actually my note was one of my higher marks...better than my SEP apparently..yanks man. G' luck to all taking this exam
 
I wrote CMP, but i wrote separately: AST/ALT. i tend to believe that writing the note can look like one of your SOAPs', since Drs grade them. it's exactly how i wrote mine, w/ many more abrevs than what USMLE has listed on their website. I failed, but...i kid i kid, i passed, and actually my note was one of my higher marks...better than my SEP apparently..yanks man. G' luck to all taking this exam

How do they give you your score breakdown? Data gathering, patient note, SEP, and CIS? I thought the data gathering and patient note were supposed to be combined into one score...
 
How do they give you your score breakdown? Data gathering, patient note, SEP, and CIS? I thought the data gathering and patient note were supposed to be combined into one score...

DG and PN are combined to give you the ICE portion, but are graded separately. ask the questions from LIQA etc, or whatever you use, and put that info into your note, you're golden.
 
How do they give you your score breakdown? Data gathering, patient note, SEP, and CIS? I thought the data gathering and patient note were supposed to be combined into one score...

Right, but you only have to pass the ICE portion as a combined score, not the DG and PN separately- correct?

i don't think that's correct, i've seen ppl write that they've failed one portion of the ICE or CIS, and so failed the entire section; and subsequently the exam. i don't work for USMLE, but it seems you need to pass all subsets, in order to pass.
ICE, to me, seemed like the most objective section: ask all the questions from your mnemonics = DG; PN graded by a Dr, which by the end of your 3rd yr, is pretty routine. NO feelings involved, just check check check.
CIS, put on a pretty 😀 and ACT accordingly