CS2 exam tips/experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vitaminny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4/2010 update to this post: I passed!! Borderline marks in sharing information, so missing out on those summaries hurt me there but was not in danger of failing. Good luck to all about to take it!

Since I was furiously searching the blogs just a few days ago, trying to find any and all help for the CS2, I thought I would post a little about my experiences while it is still fresh in my mind. I'm a "need to know" person so I appreciated all the previous posts! Will come back in a few months to let you know how successful it was :)

I've been off rotations X2 months (and after surgery where--let's face it--exams are about 5 minutes if that), and studied FA book (all minicases, PE/DDx pointers on Practice Cases) with some USMLEWORLD. I watched all the PE videos on the site, and did ~10 cases on my parents along with typing the note on the web sample program, all with strict timing. For all those who are wondering (like I did), this web page is very close to the real experience. I did run out of space in the History section several times, but I had written a lot already. FYI you lose space if you hit return to start a fresh line, so I just did run-on lines (ie. PMH: none. Hosp/Surg: none. Allerg: none. etc). Halfway through the actual exam I realized I was spending too much time on the History section, so I changed my note strategy to DDx and Investigations --> PE --> History. Still forgot several times to put down PE findings that I spent precious time getting! Definitely helped to simulate real timing, as I finished early in practice and either didn't or just barely finished in real time. If you handwrite the note you will see the computer clock, but if you type you lose the clock. Watches are completely banned. I felt I had a good sense of the timing from the practice, though.

As far as the actual exam, I took it in Houston, and the experience was very like the video on the website. There's about 60 min of check-in/orientation, and then they line you up in order and file you into the hall with the exam rooms. You stand in front of the door, wait 30" for the SPs to prepare, and then you start. You get 12 scraps of paper, which you CANNOT write on before time starts (I had hoped to write my crib note earlier to save time--you will get a warning and then be reported if you write!). My strategy was to write the pt name in the upper L corner, followed by "PTBR(=P.T.Barnum Returns) to note any significant VS (if WNL I skipped), then the CC, age and sex. This helped when I typed up the note, I didn't need to check for this info again. Then I drew a quick line, and on the R margin I wrote up-and-down "GULSex(=Gee U Look Sexy") for Gi/diet/wt-Urinary-LMP/OB-SexHx. Another line, and then 3 columns: PMH-H/S(hosp/surg)-FH, A-M (allerg-meds), and C-A-D-Soc ("AM cig, alcoh, and drugs are Social"). The only history I missed using this was Meds on one patient (although I think I asked and just forgot it and didn't write it), got all other info down. I didn't write the LIQORAAA mnemonic though, and missed some of the easy intensity/location/radiation, etc...points. I'm the type that forgets in the heat of the moment, so I need a checklist!

I always sat on the stool in front of the SP, which made sure that I draped b/c you would sit on the drape unless you move it. I also asked them if I could write notes while we chatted. I took very long histories, and still started the PE before the 5 min start, but really didn't get to do closure with very many of the SPs. When finishing the History I would try to restate (but didn't do it so often), and would ask "is there anything else you would like to tell me or ask?" Sometimes this prompted the SP to tell me info I hadn't asked for! This usually also allowed them to ask their Gotcha question, which I tried to answer. Sometimes it was a diagnosis ?, and then I gave several possibilities with the caveat that of course we have to do the physical and get tests. Not sure if that will lower my score, but then if I ran out of time I had at least done some counselling.

I did EtOH counselling where I felt it was excessive, smoking cessation on all but the first (I was going to do it at the end but ran out of time, after that did it when the SPs told me), asked Sex Hx ?s but didn't really counsel since all my SPs said they were monogamous. On my PEs I tried to be focused, and if I couldn't think of anything I would start with the CV/Lung exam. I recommend practicing a quick neuro, or quick syncope, or HTN exam, etc. If you have practiced the motions you won't lose time thinking, like I did!

And of course there were lots of things I realized I should have asked and didn't, I felt a real connection with only a few of the SPs (but by the end of the day I could tell they were ready to get this over too), and more than half the time I was stopped for time in the middle of a sentance or even the PE. I used gloves, always undid the tie and tied it back, asked the SP to pull up the gown while I held the drape for the abdom/supine CV exam. Helped them all lay down/sit up/stand up, had a running commentary while doing the PE ("now I'm going to check your legs for swelling, and check your legs for pulses...etc). I'm not such an outgoing person, so excessive smiling is not something I do well. Hopefully they detected warmth and empathy anyway...

So I don't feel great about my performance, and if the stars align badly I think I could have failed, but I just have to hope for the best! To all those about to take the exam: good luck, and whatever happens at least the day flies by!:p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am panicking now a little bit. I took my exam on Feb 12 and I did the closure on all the patients but I cannot recall if I did the summary.

This sucks! :bang:

Do we have to tell the SP all of the work-up tests we are going to order?

And if we order an MRI or a CT scan of a certain body part, are we obligated to explain what a CT scan or an MRI is? or do we only do that if the SP asks us what they are?

Thanks.

At the very least, I did tell every SP the workup I planned on doing and for what reasons. Though I didn't necessarily get into specifics (e.g. CT vs. MRI) if there wasn't time.

That seemed to suffice as a nice way of ending the encounter and provide the SP with the knowledge and comfort that I was working to address their complaints.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't tell the SP ALL the tests I was going to order because 1)I thought I was running out of time and 2)I couldn't think of them at the time :). Just make sure you tell them at least a few things you're going to order and explain why. I did not explain what an MRI/CT was since the patient did not ask.

Last edited:
I did not explain what an MRI/CT was since the patient did not ask.
This is what I was mainly wondering about.

Even if the SP doesn't ask, do we have to explain what an MRI/CT scan is?

Oh and, since you said you didn't explain what they are, did you still pass the exam?

EDIT: I might be nit-picking here but whatever; when addressing a Female SP upon entering the room, should we use "MS. xyz" or "MRS. xyz"?

Last edited:

Oh and, since you said you didn't explain what they are, did you still pass the exam?

EDIT: I might be nit-picking here but whatever; when addressing a Female SP upon entering the room, should we use "MS. xyz" or "MRS. xyz"?

Etiquette-wise it is best to use MS. when you don't know a woman's marital status.

I don't think you have to explain them unless asked. And I passed.

Question about the Patient Notes, specifically about the Review of Systems (ROS) part:

The Patient Notes in the Step2 CS FA book usually includes the ROS in the HPI.

Then, in the ROS section, they write, "Negative except as above".

Is this how you guys did it for the most part? Something about it seems a little shady, but maybe that's just my paranoia. Is it a good method?

Considering the post above this one, can someone please address this post of mine:
Question about the Patient Notes, specifically about the Review of Systems (ROS) part:

The Patient Notes in the Step2 CS FA book usually includes the ROS in the HPI.

Then, in the ROS section, they write, "Negative except as above".

Is this how you guys did it for the most part? Something about it seems a little shady, but maybe that's just my paranoia. Is it a good method?

Also, about writing the vitals on the Patient Note, FA just writes "WNL" and only specifies abnormal values. Any thoughts about this?

1. Runnermd-for ROS, i also wrote down "pt denies..."
2. Vitals-I wrote down WNL and if it was abnormal, listed those values

whats the difference between a closure and summary for the SP? do you have to tell the SP all the ddx you are thinking or the pertinent ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took mine today and am majorly freaking out...somehow i didn't write vital signs on ANY of my notes and I didn't realize we had to seperately list review of systems. I just wrote "Patient denies......" Is that a permissible way to present the info? I just figured if it was there, it was ok.......omgggg i cannot believe i did this...Also, didn't include meds or allergies on the 7-8 patients.....

NO WORRIES!! That is how I wrote every note! "Pt admits to nausea, vomiting x2, and heartburn. Pt denies Fever, chills , wt loss or any other associated symptoms."

And I passed!!

AND I did NOT give a FULL plan to every pt...Most I did...A few I just said "ok, we are going to get some blood work/labs and see if we cant get you feeling better soon okay? Do you have any questions for me?"

I said something like that to all...But dont worry guys, if you were considerate, friendly, spoke clearly....listened to them....wrote to check OMM in the A/P or somewhere on a few...you are ok!

And I PASSED.

One other question: when it comes time to write the patient note, how/where do we write it? On a blank piece of paper? On a computer (if so, how does that work)? The OP mentioned something about a web sample program..... anyone know what that is?

I did not read the whole thread so perhaps some one answered this:

You can find for the PN sheet and the computer-based PN program here:

http://www.usmle.org/Orientation/2010/menu.html

Best of luck!

My experience was that the patients were MUCH nicer and friendlier than the practice patients we had at my school. While I had some combative patients for my OSCE, the CS patients were all even-tempered with no "problems" in terms of interactions. I had all straightforward cases with nothing as difficult as during the OSCEs. I read First Aid for about a week and practiced with 2 friends (non-medical types) 2 days before the exam (12 cases). Oh, and I was panicking about my score since I forgot to do many things like look at the part of the body that was in pain if they came in complaining of particular body pain. I just ran out of time during the encounters. But, you have to maintain your composure and not let it "defeat" you. You will NOT remember to do everything, but will still pass just fine.

how do you address the sp? ive been saying im a medical student, should i just say dr? is that what they expect?

I always introduce myself as Student Doctor ______.

ya i do that too, ill stick to it, i feel like lying if i say im dr....

this is my intro: "hi my name is ________, I'm a student doctor here. I've been asked to take your history and perform a physical exam."

Hello All,

So I took my CS yesterday, and have been freaking out majorly. I made stupid mistakes here and there, forgot to ask certain key questions, however in one case, i completely missed a diagnosis. I couldn't think of the name of the disease during the encounter. Of course, as soon as I got to the next encounter, I knew what I had missed.

Do you think this could lead to failure??? I am seriously stressing out. Has anyone missed a Dx and passed?

thanks

Hello All,

So I took my CS yesterday, and have been freaking out majorly. I made stupid mistakes here and there, forgot to ask certain key questions, however in one case, i completely missed a diagnosis. I couldn't think of the name of the disease during the encounter. Of course, as soon as I got to the next encounter, I knew what I had missed.

Do you think this could lead to failure??? I am seriously stressing out. Has anyone missed a Dx and passed?

thanks

(1) I made numerous stupid mistakes- too numerous to recall
(2) Missed the diagnosis on at least 2 cases; there was at least one case where I completely blew the diagnosis (or so I thought)
(3) My notes were handwritten and WAY TOO LONG, with numerous things crossed off, and many notes missing certain aspects of the hx/PE
(4) After leaving the center I was 100% convinced that I was going to FAIL, to the extent that I planned my retake date and retained all my study materials.

Score report: aced everything, even the patient note that I was convinced was sloppy.

Lesson: don't sweat it for the next 6 weeks, just relax. if you do have to retake it, figure out a date that allows you to start residency w/o issue (assuming you are a MS4).

Reactions: 1 user
Bumping for major score release today.

I took it within 1-2 weeks of ending third year.

Preparation: A few evenings reviewing First Aid for Step 2 CS. Very very helpful in getting used to the format of thinking like the testmakers. I recommend plowing through the whole thing (reading it all) before the exam. There are written practice sheets for each case that I did not do.
I also went through all the practice materials / sample notes/videos on the website.

In the hotel room the day/evening before the exam, I had planned to review some of the physical exam skills that I had forgotten, as well as some of the other finer details I had forgotten since mid third year (Peds stuff, Psych stuff, etc.). But I was busy listening to 311 and Dave Matthews Band and chilling. :cool: And then I felt like I should actually buckle down and review a few things but then the season premiere of Big Brother was on TV. Then I got lazy and really tired and went to bed.

Test Day: So surprised how quickly it went by. Knew I didn't ace it, and got a nice headache during Case #4 or 5 that lasted all day, but I just treated it like another day on the floors. Wore gloves to save time (rather than washing hands) - and only went the full 15 minutes on ONE case. This is after running out of time on nearly all my standardized patient cases in the first 3 years of med school. I guess instinct took over on this one.

Score Report: PASS in all sections.
Got the single asterisk (*) on all the ICE components. That and Professional Manner and Rapport were my best scores. Pretty happy with that considering how rushed I felt all day, how I nearly burst out laughing several times with one of my patients because she was either really really out of it or just a horrible actress, as well as how I didn't review all the things I felt I should have before the test. But I must say I felt pretty good about the notes and differentials I was submitting all day. And I credit First Aid for Step 2 CS for that.

How the hell was Spoken English Proficiency my worst component on the exam? :laugh: Not by much, but still...

Last but not least, do not underestimate how anxiety-provoking this exam can be... two nights before the exam, I didn't sleep a wink. I guess there are so many horror stories out there about people getting docked for B.S. technicalities and subsequently failing the exam. Don't blow this off.

Pretty difficult to tell what those component bars mean, and where I fall relative to students nationwide... I don't know and more importantly, I don't care. Don't need to shoot for the moon on this one.

Also, about writing the vitals on the Patient Note, FA just writes "WNL" and only specifies abnormal values. Any thoughts about this?

Somewhere in the orientation materials, I believe it mentions that you don't have to include vitals within the PE portion of the note unless they are pertinent.

At most I wrote things like "Afebrile" on patients that had something that could be quasi-ID, and noted hypertension when it was present. I don't think I had any other abnormal vitals, certainly no high RRs or big-time tachys.

As to everyone freaking out: remember, the pass rate for US grads is about 97% percent. Do you really believe you did worse than 97% of your peers? NINETY-SEVEN PERCENT. I am certain that 100% of people who take CS screw up at least one thing. That is obviously not grounds for failure.

Taking CS next week and having been reading FA this week. One question - in FA it sometimes mentions doing orthostatic VS in the PE. Does anyone actually do this? Seems like it would take a lot of time fumbling with equipment, and we certainly don't have time to do it properly (i.e. having the patient lie down for at least 1-2min). Is it every acceptable not to do it but tell the patient about it and include it in the note under the work-up?

Looking at FA a little more they appear rather inconsistent. Ex: Case 14 (dizziness), they list Dix-Hallpike under PE, but then also under work-up. Thoughts?

Taking CS next week and having been reading FA this week. One question - in FA it sometimes mentions doing orthostatic VS in the PE. Does anyone actually do this? Seems like it would take a lot of time fumbling with equipment, and we certainly don't have time to do it properly (i.e. having the patient lie down for at least 1-2min). Is it every acceptable not to do it but tell the patient about it and include it in the note under the work-up?

Looking at FA a little more they appear rather inconsistent. Ex: Case 14 (dizziness), they list Dix-Hallpike under PE, but then also under work-up. Thoughts?

I'm not saying this is the correct answer at all, but there is absolutely no way I'd waste time doing orthostatics. In order to get an accurate answer you actually have to wait a couple minutes between laying --> sitting or sitting --> standing anyways, and this exam doesn't exactly allow for a couple minutes to be spent obtaining vital signs haha. I think if I were presented with a case where I would want to get orthostatics I'd put "orthostatic blood pressure measurements" as one of my workup items.

What do you all think about me forgetting to SIGE CAPS a patient with fatigue and thinking it was mono/hypothyroidism- but remembering depression on my patient note and putting SIG E CAPS depression screen on my workup? I imagine I will probably lose a good bit of credit on this guy since I didnt ask ANY of the depression screen questions. Just kind of blanked on it for some reason.

Hi, I'm an IMG from Australia. Does anyone out there have any advice about what resources are best for Step II CS? I'm currently using USMLEWORLD Step II CS and it seems pretty good. Has anyone used this for CS and run into any problems? Is Kaplan CS (35 cases) going to add anything to what UW has?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm an IMG from Australia. Does anyone out there have any advice about what resources are best for Step II CS? I'm currently using USMLEWORLD Step II CS and it seems pretty good. Has anyone used this for CS and run into any problems? Is Kaplan CS (35 cases) going to add anything to what UW has?

Any answers are greatly appreciated.

I used First Aid - it really does have pretty much everything you need. I also signed up to USMLEWorld as had used it for Step 1 and 2CK but didn't find it anywhere near as useful for CS (although that's just my opinion).

Jonathan

Do you all keep the cover on the otoscope when you look in the patient's nose? One SP kind of flipped out on me because I wanted to look in her nose with the otoscope with the cover on it.
I am sure it was part of the act, and I gave the good repsonse: "sorry for the discomfort, I just need to evaluate you properly."
But, a part of me thinks she may have broken character and was scared I was going to put it too far up her nose.

Hi just looking for some answers to questions about CS as I am a little nervous, mostly just because of fear of the unknown. I've been through the video and the information online and I also study with UW and First Aid. But I've got a few questions for anyone that has taken the test.

1. For the physical exam, this really needs to be done in about 5-6 minutes so a super detailed comprehensive exam is basically impossible. In FA the cases often suggest CVS, RESP, ABDO, Head and Neck +/- a couple other bits. Is the best strategy to do a general exam that is not too detailed or does one need to target the exam and be very detailed based on the presentation? I'm guessing FA is probably on the right track with a general exam that is not too thorough but I just wanted to hear what others thought.

2. Are the cases in FA and UW consistent with the exam?, and more importantly have people felt that the marking in the actual exam is similar? (ie: candidates are rewarded for a reasonable approach to a problem as opposed to requiring very specific things in differentials, and investigations?)

3. Must all investigations ordered correlate with my differential? For example could I order a TSH in a patient with deppressive symptoms even though thyroid disease is not likely and not listed as a top 5 differential?

4. Can visual acuity be assessed with the patient on the bed or would you have to get the patient to stand up and lean against the back wall?

Any answers greatly appreciated!

Took CS about a week ago, glad it's over!

This might be preaching to the choir but I recommend doing some sort of studying for this - especially for US Med students where your seniors or other students that have taken the test make it sound like you can just roll out of bed, walk into it and ace it (although this is likely true).

It seems a lot of what can screw you over is logistics not actually clinching the diagnosis - did you wash your hands, did you drape appropriately, did you summarize the plan to the patient etc. FA was really good for this and I read most of it in the 48hrs leading up to the exam. Also because of how long ago we might have covered some of the material it's good to get a refresher on certain aspects eg the questions to ask in a pediatric pt - birth hx, diet, day care, sick contacts, are they still active? do they produce tears when they cry? (or other similar question to assess dehydration) - you will likely remember to ask this but may not consistently do so if you aren't cued into the examiners' mindset. Of course FA does go overboard in some cases but whatever you remember after studying it would likely be the more pertinent aspects.

(I'm sure there are other books that work for this exam apart from FA)

All the best!

Hi guys,
Did note taking when patient speaks can affect your score? Did you guys maintained eye contact all the time and wrote the PN without any note?
Thanks