CSAO vs. NBEO exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dogod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On ODWire.org thread "Imminent Oversupply in Canada. How many Canadian OD's in US schools?" State of Optometry section, post #31 one OD recounts his recent experience and comparison of the Canadian and American board exams.

http://www.odwire.org/forum/showthre...ht=IOBP&page=2

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree with his assessment of the CSAO; I've written both; but I would go a step further and say that the CSAO is far to easy on testing ocular and systemic (I don't think there was any!) disease.

Well, that's probably because we can't treat anything up north! lol

Thats not true at all, here in BC I can treat anything I need to except glaucoma and anything requiring orals. Ontario is the only province left to implement TPA's, but that is coming in the near future (the legislation has already passed) and we'll then have everything there including glaucoma and oral antibiotics.

Given the direction of optometry in Canada the CSAO is setting the minimum competence level too low IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hasn't Ontario (where I'm from) said pretty much every year that "this is the year we get it" and never do? It seems that way for the past 5 years. Like has an exact date actually been given?

The legislation passed about three years ago, but what has taken considerable time is the drafting of the regulations surrounding TPA's. The process was further set back b/c of the lack of participation of ophthalmology on glaucoma management, in response the HPRAC then recommended that OD's get independent glaucoma treatment privileges - which has further set the process back. I would hope that it's going to happen within the next 12months.

So do you really only need to pass the NBEO not the CSAO to practice in BC? I read some posts saying that but I can't find any verification. I'd rather no take the CSAO if Im already taking the NBEO and don't need to .

So do you really only need to pass the NBEO not the CSAO to practice in BC? I read some posts saying that but I can't find any verification. I'd rather no take the CSAO if Im already taking the NBEO and don't need to .

No, you still need to take the CSAO for BC, it was apparently the last province to still accept the NBEO, but that changed some time ago. However, I believe the Yukon still accepts the NBEO!

Recent ruling from BC this month: For OD's that have not previously been licensed in North America (new grads), CSAO is a requirement for licensure in BC.
However, OD's that have been licensed for at least 1yr in North America, NBEO can be accepted instead of CSAO for licensure in BC.
This year federal legislation (AIT) to facilitate movement of professionals between provinces has passed. Thus, as it stands now with AIT, once an OD is licensed in any province such as BC (maybe even Yukon territory), they can transfer to another province without too much red tape.

Last edited:
Recent ruling from BC this month: For OD's that have not previously been licensed in North America (new grads), CSAO is a requirement for licensure in BC.
However, OD's that have been licensed for at least 1yr in North America, NBEO can be accepted instead of CSAO for licensure in BC.
This year federal legislation (AIT) to facilitate movement of professionals between provinces has passed. Thus, as it stands now with AIT, once an OD is licensed in any province such as BC (maybe even Yukon territory), they can transfer to another province without too much red tape.

Dammit, this could have saved me thousands of dollars and all the stress of that stupid stupid exam! :mad:

The legislation passed about three years ago, but what has taken considerable time is the drafting of the regulations surrounding TPA's. The process was further set back b/c of the lack of participation of ophthalmology on glaucoma management, in response the HPRAC then recommended that OD's get independent glaucoma treatment privileges - which has further set the process back. I would hope that it's going to happen within the next 12months.

The biggest reason that TPAs are stalled in Ontario is the College of Optometry. Filled with such a high level of dysfunction - similar to the dysfunction that permeates Waterloo - that getting TPAs will likely be a few years yet. The clinical experience with management of ocular disease at Waterloo is dismal. I have yet to work with a recent Waterloo grad that I would trust with TPAs. After a few years of clinical practice they certianly narrow the gap between themeselves and their US-trained colleagues. Something needs to change at Waterloo...and it goes far beyond just getting TPAs.

SG: where did u graduate from?

SG: where did u graduate from?

I am a US graduate.

The first OD I worked for as an associate was a Waterloo grad. He was extremely impressed with my knowledge of ocular disease. He was the first to tell me that Waterloo needs to change. I have since heard it from a few other Waterloo grads, and have observed it myself with my colleagues/associates.

What you say has been observed for a long time.

Given that UW has always existed in a non-TPA jurisdiction (and therefore all the clinicians who work there as well), there's probably only so much "disease knowledge" you can really expect from graduates there.

That should change (however slowly) as Ontario begins to adopt TPA use.

Ontario was supposed to get TPA's as far back as the late 90's. Every few years it has been 'TPA's are imminent' followed by a flurry of TPA upgrade and refresher CE programs :rolleyes:.
Even though legislation has passed, I am tired of telling patients over the years "next eye exam I will be able to prescribe this (eg Patanol) for you. In the meantime take this report to your family doc." I am not holding my breath, even though I want to believe it is coming down the home stretch.

Last edited:

I actually don't disagree with this.

The following has just been passed by the BC Board:

1. All registrants who are registering for the first time in any jurisdiction
must complete the CSAO in order to be eligible to apply for registration in BC.

2. Any optometrist who has been registered/licensed in another jurisdiction for
more than one year will be eligible to apply for registration in BC, with the
NBEO considered as equivalent to the CSAO for application purposes.

Just heard that Alberta now accepts the NBEO. This could spell the end of the CSAO.

As it stands once you get registered in one province, you can transfer to any other province via AIT.

You don't need CSAO to practice in BC anymore! As long as you've passed NBEO, you are allowed to take the BC exam without CSAO.

Cheers!

Ontario has higher CE hour requirements than other provinces. So somebody who is short a few hours in their 3 year rotation could technically register in another province and then legally transfer it to Ontario via AIT. I suspect the one day practice clause is to try and throw a hurdle into that.
Check out Newfoundland, Quebec (maybe the Yukon) for relaxed registration requirements, especially if the CEO/CSAO goes kaput as provinces accept NBEO.
AIT is forcing provincial health colleges to create universal requirements which may still take years for optometry.