CSCS Certification before PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_dpt12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about studying to get my CSCS certification sometime between now and before I would start PT school in the summer. I was wondering if anyone had experience/knows someone who got their CSCS certification before starting PT school? I know a lot of people also choose to get this certification sometime in the middle of their 2nd year of PT school, but I just wanted something to work towards in all this free time I have right now! Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking of pursuing one before PT school, but I ended up getting accepted into a school that starts in January so I ultimately decided against it. But since you have plenty of time until you start, I would definitely recommend it as this will not only make your resume standout, but it will also help with your overall treatment of patients.

I didn't get my CSCS before PT school, but as a first year DPT I will be taking a CSCS elective this spring that my school offers. It will prepare me to sit for the exam at the end of spring and fulfills my elective requirements for graduation. I like the idea that I will be preparing for the exam with my fellow cohort and some of the cohort above me. I think you could honestly take it whenever feels right for you, but maybe look and see if your potential schools also offer a similar elective since that could be another option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I begin my PT program in September, I just started studying for the CSCS and I plan to take it before school for sure. During school I don't see myself having time to prepare for both. And I have plenty of time now so why not. I will likely take it sometime in May hopefully.

I got my CSCS upon graduating from undergrad, and I would highly recommend it! With starting PT school next year I think it’s definitely worth it!

I got my CSCS upon graduating from undergrad, and I would highly recommend it! With starting PT school next year I think it’s definitely worth it!
I definitely think I want to do it! I know it's just an expensive process overall to buy study materials and register for the exam, but any tips/recommendations for studying/prepping for the exam? What study materials are worth getting or not worth getting? etc.? Thanks so much!

I definitely think I want to do it! I know it's just an expensive process overall to buy study materials and register for the exam, but any tips/recommendations for studying/prepping for the exam? What study materials are worth getting or not worth getting? etc.? Thanks so much!
I know it’s so expensive! But I think it’s worth it. So I used their textbook mainly, and just went through it. Besides that I did as many practice tests as possible because part of the work is just getting used to the way they ask questions! There is also a Facebook group which helped. It’s by the NSCA and someone from there posts multiple choice questions often. It’s also a great resource to ask questions like we all do on here. It’s called “NSCA CSCS Exam Prep” and it’s a private group. I hope this helps! :)

I got mine after PT school, but if you have an exercise science background, I think you should definitely get it now! It can only help you.

I know it’s so expensive! But I think it’s worth it. So I used their textbook mainly, and just went through it. Besides that I did as many practice tests as possible because part of the work is just getting used to the way they ask questions! There is also a Facebook group which helped. It’s by the NSCA and someone from there posts multiple choice questions often. It’s also a great resource to ask questions like we all do on here. It’s called “NSCA CSCS Exam Prep” and it’s a private group. I hope this helps! :)
Did you just buy the CSCS Practice Questions and the Essentials of Strength Training books directly from the NSCA website? Or did you look around to find a cheaper/used version of the textbook? And if you had it, did you find the online access for the textbook useful?

Did you just buy the CSCS Practice Questions and the Essentials of Strength Training books directly from the NSCA website? Or did you look around to find a cheaper/used version of the textbook? And if you had it, did you find the online access for the textbook useful?
I had a used version of the textbook from chegg! It was the same version that the NSCA website offers, and just wanted to save some money since the test itself is expensive. So I didn’t have the online access part of the textbook. But the more exposure to the material the better in my opinion so I’d imagine it being helpful! And I was lucky enough to have free access to practice questions/practice exams at my university’s library at the time. I probably would have bought the practice questions if I didn’t have access already though. The questions helped the most, and showed where I needed to study more/how my progress was going. I hope this helps!