Cspm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovefeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to CSPM for the Fall of 2013?

personal thoughts (in general) from applicants and current students are appreciated.

please&thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied there as well. Would love to live in Cali.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st and formost... I was born and raised in the Bay Area, I know it like the back of my hand. I have been living in Texas last 5 years, and would love to study there.

2nd I hear they have good rotations, and you will get good clinical experience.

3rd I want to align myself well to get a residency at on of the Bay Area Kaisers.

4th California seems pretty friendly to Podiatrist. If anything gets rolled out further advancing the profession it will probably happen there.

Only thing I like about some of the schools such as DMU, and AZPOD (also Western?) is they are integrated with DO's for some classes, having that integration is good exposure for all. I'm CSPM is on par academically, and just as challenging.

Yeah the fact that there isn't a DO program at SM just kind of worries me. IDK why and I am probably just being picky but something tells me that in like 10 years the programs that run along with the DO programs will be the leading programs.
How are the classes at SM? Since at somewhere like Western where you attend classes with other doctoral students, at SM its mostly nursing and physician assistant programs. It seems like the classes wouldn't have very many students in them.. I mean are the classes like anatomy shared with PA students and nursing students?
The other thing that worries me about SM is the cost of living around there. It's just so expensive..
All this aside I am still applying there and would be pumped to go there since I grew up in the north bay. One podiatrist told me that Western is the way to go and CSPM is dying out.. but I don't know how much weight this holds..

Yeah the fact that there isn't a DO program at SM just kind of worries me. IDK why and I am probably just being picky but something tells me that in like 10 years the programs that run along with the DO programs will be the leading programs.
How are the classes at SM? Since at somewhere like Western where you attend classes with other doctoral students, at SM its mostly nursing and physician assistant programs. It seems like the classes wouldn't have very many students in them.. Not sure what nursing and PA programs have to do with anything. It's not like you'll be sharing classes (or instructors) with them. As for class size, I've found that most people coming from big-time public universities with huge classes are glad to finally be in smaller classroom environment. Maybe that's not you though.I mean are the classes like anatomy shared with PA students and nursing students? No classes shared with anyone.
The other thing that worries me about SM is the cost of living around there. It's just so expensive.. They give out scholarships for that reason.
All this aside I am still applying there and would be pumped to go there since I grew up in the north bay. One podiatrist told me that Western is the way to go and CSPM is dying out.. but I don't know how much weight this holds..

Being affiliated with a DO program is a good thing for advancing recognition and reputation of the profession. For sure! But on the other hand, being in a class with DO's isn't going to automatically make you learn more. It's not like sitting next to people with higher MCAT scores is going to give you osmosis of knowledge. Doesn't work like that.

Plus 6 out of the 9 podiatry schools aren't affiliated with DO programs. That doesn't mean 2/3 of pod students are getting an inferior education. All 9 schools will prepare you well for residency if you work hard and stay disciplined. A top student at one school will be a top student at ANY school. Same for those at the bottom of the barrel.

I do prefer the smaller class sizes but I just assumed that since nursing students and PA students probably all take anatomy, I was wondering if they would just combine them. I don't really have a problem with that, I was more just thinking about it. Does cspm give out big scholarships like the schools more towards the east coast? It seems like everyone on here talks about big scholarships from like ocpm and des Moines where they have way bigger class sizes.