CSU Equine Reproduction Lab Burns Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard about this just now. The loss is not just in the building, but anyone who's ever been in the Repro Lab will realize just how devastating this is. The amount of genetics research and study that went on there was mind-blowing, and much of the technology in there was top-of-the-line and latest, including machines and other things that CSU invented itself and were one of a kind...the building can be rebuilt, but what was inside is going to take a long, long time to replace.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is awful. I'm glad no people or animals were hurt.

Any info on the cause?

If not accidental, I'd be looking closely at the AR's in CO.

Omg this is so awful! I have known since I was a kid that csu is THE place for equine repro. I was actually wanting to go to grad school there if vet school didn't work out. My scientific heart is breaking for all those people that lost years of hard work. : (

That's so sad. I can't imagine how devastating it is for the researchers to lose so much of their work.

Hopefully they'll be able to salvage some of their research and get an awesome new lab built to continue in. Thank goodness the horses were all ok too!

This is terrible, but I'm sure most of the research data was backed up on offsite computer storage. As far as the equipment, without a doubt it was insured and will be covered.

This is a setback for sure, but I'm positive they will rebuild and come back better than ever.

I am so thankful that no people or animals were injured.

I just hope the fire was not started intentionally.

It's probably not so much the data as the samples that they will have had in the liquid nitrogen/-80oC freezers. Those are probably samples from animals that are may now be deceased, and are now irreplacable. Hell even the loss of hundreds (prob more like thousands) of PCR products/cloning etc will take years to recover, if it's possible.

Fires in the lab is always a huge concern of mine, when I was getting ready to defend my dissertation I had so many copies of everything bc if something like that happened, I'd be so screwed. I'm glad the horses and people were ok, but damn. all that research.

It's probably not so much the data as the samples that they will have had in the liquid nitrogen/-80oC freezers. Those are probably samples from animals that are may now be deceased, and are now irreplacable.

Yes, that. All the oocytes, sperm, cell culture, etc... That's got to be devastating. And the staff that may be out of work for a while.

It's probably not so much the data as the samples that they will have had in the liquid nitrogen/-80oC freezers. Those are probably samples from animals that are may now be deceased, and are now irreplacable. Hell even the loss of hundreds (prob more like thousands) of PCR products/cloning etc will take years to recover, if it's possible.

Fires in the lab is always a huge concern of mine, when I was getting ready to defend my dissertation I had so many copies of everything bc if something like that happened, I'd be so screwed. I'm glad the horses and people were ok, but damn. all that research.

Exactly. Damn. :(

And the staff that may be out of work for a while.

OHhhh yeah, I work right next door to ERL and they are conducting interviews with all the staff right now. Supposedly the fire started in the attic but no one really knows how it happened. Fortunately they got a lot of the nitrogen tanks out in time but they still lost a lot of other valuable stuff. Considering how dry it has been here and the amount of flammable materials close by, its amazing more of the Foothills campus wasn't affected by the fire.

Thanks for the update on the situation Erin. Glad to hear they got the nitrogen tanks out and the horses and everything, and that no other buildings like the Equine Center and Pickett Arena burnt. Still a disaster though, I know CSU has the financial means to rebuild, that's not really an issue, but sadly the money will not bring back the research :/

I was so sad when I heard. A fellow alumni called to tell me. I am so glad the mare motel didn't burn etc. The amount of research and genetic material that they lost is irreplaceable.

Glad to hear they got some of it out. I spent a lot of hours in the ERL and even more just at the Equine Center.