Internship Opportunity - Equine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdan21

Reaction score
Internship opportunity for summer 2023; primarily geared towards 1st and 2nd year vet students, but undergrad students are considered.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You are really coming on here to exploit a student for a $7.50/hour job as a VA? Yikes.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not salaried. It's a paid summer internship, with housing provided. I would hardly describe this as exploitation.

Reactions: 1 user
@yogapony it is so incredibly valuable to know the worth of your time, my friend

Reactions: 1 user
You are really coming on here to exploit a student for a $7.50/hour job as a VA? Yikes.
That’s how they find the vet students willing to do this kind of work after they graduate, for pretty equal pay but more responsibility ;)

The equine world is unfortunately like this. Not excusing it, just saying if you aren’t familiar with their approach it can be startling just how badly treated their interns, residents and veterinarians can be.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s how they find the vet students willing to do this kind of work after they graduate, for pretty equal pay but more responsibility ;)

The equine world is unfortunately like this. Not excusing it, just saying if you aren’t familiar with their approach it can be startling just how badly treated their interns, residents and veterinarians can be.
Sad but true. Many practices are trying to change things to keep vets in equine medicine, but there are just as many practices that don’t care or are too busy to be bothered.

What’s crazy about this “internship” is that they’re paying almost $5 below minimum wage in Colorado! For a swing or overnight shift no less. To me it sounds like they’re looking for bodies to help them during their busy season under the guise of an internship, and I bet they get a fair number of applicants. But yeah, as an equine tracker myself there’s no way I would even consider this opportunity! I have a job in our teaching hospital and am paid almost triple what this practice is trying to pay “interns”. I wish more people considered their worth before responding to job ads like this :shrug:

Reactions: 5 users
@yogapony it is so incredibly valuable to know the worth of your time, my friend

And my time isn't worth spending on this conversation beyond this point. I am not your friend. If you aren't interested in the internship, just move along. I don't have a horse in this race, but I can see the value of the experience for the right person. Good luck on your journey.

I did an unpaid equine internship during undergrad. Shoveled **** and handled rank horses 20 hours a week between classes and on weekends for literally zero pay, but I wanted the experience and to put it on my resume. It’s not always about money, this may be very valuable experience for someone trying to break into the horse world (although I am in no way condoning exploitation!)

Reactions: 1 users

I am familiar. The DVM interns at the last equine facility I was at defended their internships. They were being paid the equivalent of what someone in my state would make working 40 hours a week at minimum wage. But they were working roughly 80 hours a week. It was astounding to me. But I guess I was also young and naive at one point too and thought money didn't matter. Maybe this forum isn't the place to encourage people to value their time and understand their skill set, but I'd love to see it happen one day!

Last edited:
And my time isn't worth spending on this conversation beyond this point. I am not your friend. If you aren't interested in the internship, just move along. I don't have a horse in this race, but I can see the value of the experience for the right person. Good luck on your journey.

I am familiar. The DVM interns at the last equine facility I was at defended their internships. They were being paid the equivalent of what someone in my state would make working 40 hours a week at minimum wage. But they were working roughly 80 hours a week. It was astounding to me. But I guess I was also young and naive at one point too and thought money didn't matter. Maybe this forum isn't the place to encourage people to value their time and understand their skill set, but I'd love to see it happen one day!
I’m just going to gently remind everyone that being passive aggressive toward people who may one day be your colleagues isn’t terribly productive.

I have nothing else to add that wasn’t said already by that redhead and Engr, other than this program pays significantly less than I get paid as a PhD candidate (and we don’t get paid well, lol).

Reactions: 9 users
@supershorty shoot I hope you're not talking about me. Because passive I am not. Assertive? Yes, and it is a skill I'm proud to have learned. I'm pretty active in my union currently and among other things, I've helped write emails for 5 (relatively new) employees asking for raises this year. Four of five of which succeeded. I'm never gonna stop encouraging people to stand up for themselves, but I can definitely try and approach it better. Admittedly, I'm better at actions than I am with words.

Our VA's, techs, receptionists, kennel techs, and interns will also all be our colleagues. Care work is hard and demanding, and it's about time for it to be recognized as the work it is. It's so important not to pass along this culture of exploitation. Just because you had to do it, doesn't mean somebody who comes after you should too!

And on that actions note: the equine facility near me is paying their VA's $16 an hour and they are hiring a few folks (I shadow there one day a week unpaid FYI) If anyone wants a link send me a DM.

Last edited:
Maybe this forum isn't the place to encourage people to value their time and understand their skill set, but I'd love to see it happen one day!
All of us vets that have been on this forum for the last 8+ years agree with you, including TRH. We make this point regularly. Her point is that this is pretty standard in a lot, if not the majority, of the equine world. None of the long term vets here is suggesting that because we went through sub-optimal training means that others after us should as well. I took this statement as relatively passive aggressive; but I'm also not sure how long you've been around or how much you've gotten to know the more long-term crowd.

As a separate note for the general discussion, I live and work in the Denver Metro Area and know this facility. The on-site housing itself is worth about $1500/month for the Littleton area, but below $10/hour will still make it difficult to financially function in the area, unless the student never leaves the property.

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Also not meant to be patronizing. I was pointing out the part that sounded passive aggressive to me while also acknowledging that you haven't spent much time here and therefore likely haven't seen how much us long term members advocate for students knowing their worth both before and after graduation.

It's so important not to pass along this culture of exploitation. Just because you had to do it, doesn't mean somebody who comes after you should too!
I don't really know where you got the impression that I was doing, or believe, any of this, tbh.

Having a realistic view of the equine industry* and its shortcomings, including that something like what's being offered here is not atypical, is how g-you get a better perspective of what jobs are worth applying for. I worked as an overnight tech in a job very similar to this and got paid substantially better. At the same time, the reality of some points of medical training is that you aren't going to get paid what you are worth, and it's up to the individual to decide whether they think the ultimate pay-off is going to be worth it. Case in point, internships and residencies.

I don't think this job is at all comparable to advanced post-grad training, so don't interpret it that way. I'm just pointing out that while the idea of always get paid what you're worth is nice, at this point in time, it is not always the reality of the situation, and people have to decide for themselves what financial hit they're willing to take.

That being said, I'll reiterate my point again that I get paid better than this as a PhD student, and I do NOT get paid well. I wouldn't recommend anyone take a job paying that poorly.

*This applies to any industry, not just equine.

@supershorty

Oh I'm sorry, that statement wasn't meant to be personal. I don't think that you personally are intending to exploit people. It was a plural "you" towards everyone, I probably could have said "we" instead.

But on that note I would very much appreciate if folks would stop trying to pick apart my words. There is no ill will behind any of my statements EXCEPT my original comment towards the original poster. I don't know how else I can express that.

Last edited: