CSU Vet Day Mar 30 - Any IS/OOS going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buddhagal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any in state or out of state folks going to this. I'll be coming out from CA to get a second look at the school (also, since the oos do not get interviewed I wanted to try and chat with some students in person.)

Also going to check out neighborhoods in the area, please feel free to chime in if you have any preferences, thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately I cant make it to CSU that week (just so happens my pre-req classes are on spring break this week) so I am flying out there tomorrow and visiting the school this Friday... I am really excited... from all the people I have talked to, past and current students, and people who grew up in denver/ft. collins, absolutely everyone has loved it and has nothing bad to say... so I am hoping I will also be one of them :)

Hope you enjoy their visit day! Ill post anything I think that might be of interest that I come across this week :)

Hey Soxbox, I'll be there Friday too! I'm flying out from CA. I couldn't go the weekend of the 30th.

Buddhagal: When I found out I was accepted to CSU - that was it for me. I'm starting the MBA/DVM program. I have talked to a couple of current students in that program and was very impressed. I'll be looking at real estate while I'm there so I'll pass on any info I can regarding that and anything else I find.

Members don't see this ad :)
soxbox & 4theanimals - thanks! when i'm there next week i'll do the same and post any other tidbits they give us during the talks.

also looking at real estate...

Hi buddhagal!
I'll also be there the 30th (oos).
I've been looking at apartments online and am impressed by how many allow pets (esp. large dogs)
I've also heard great things about fort collins & csu's program. I can't wait to meet everyone there!

I will also be going on the 28-30th. Want to check out as much as possible. Apt, campus, any barns to ride at( hopefully) Although I am still on the alternate list felt I really need to check things out so if the opportunity finally comes- I can make the best decision

hey Rosie and budd, i will also be there that weekend. i can't wait to meet all those people and see the school!:D

Great! towards the end of next week feel free to PM me if you wanna meet up / introduce ourselves in CO next Friday. then we can all share notes on sdn.

I'd love to meet other folks who are in the "I'm-so-excited-but-nervous-and -happy -and-what-am-I-in-for-can't-wait -to-get-started-goodbye-sleep - yippee-vet-school" frame of mind :D

is march 30th the only day? i don't know if i am invited or have to wait until next year (since that is the pvm class i would start the dvm program with). my letter is being mailed today, so i don't know any details. is there a website with info on the day? thanks for any help!

Here is the general website for the open house on 3/30 and 3/31:

http://www.csuvets.colostate.edu/openhouse.htm

I don't know if there is any additional information for those who have been accepted though.

I was planning to go to the open house on Friday afternoon, once my classes finish at 2 (I'm post-bacc at CSU). So if anyone wants to meet up Friday afternoon, send a PM :) It's pretty cool to be able to meet other SDN'ers!

Hi there:
I am a student at Colorado State and I will be helping out with the open house. I will be giving hospital tours on Saturday at 3:00PM, but I'll be around on Friday probably at the AAEP booth or the holistic booth. My name is Sara and if any of you have any questions for me please feel free to ask. All students will be wearing their coats and name tags so that we can be identified easily.

AHH! I feel like I'm the only person on the planet not going on the 30th! I'm going to be back in school and I'm trying to finish work on my condo to get it on the market so there's no way I can make it out there yet. I'll be taking time off of school in May to check things out and hopefully get a house:scared:. It's getting so close! Well I hope you all have a great time and please post about your experience so that I can live vicariously through you all for a few days ;).

Here is the general website for the open house on 3/30 and 3/31:

http://www.csuvets.colostate.edu/openhouse.htm

I don't know if there is any additional information for those who have been accepted

I believe that schedule is for the open house for the general public. I was e-mailed a different agenda when I rsvp'd to the e-mail address listed in the acceptance letter. It was called "Pre-Vet Visit Day" so I don't think it's limited to accepted students, but it's not the same as the public open house.

Members don't see this ad :)
AHH! I feel like I'm the only person on the planet not going on the 30th! I'm going to be back in school and I'm trying to finish work on my condo to get it on the market so there's no way I can make it out there yet. I'll be taking time off of school in May to check things out and hopefully get a house:scared:. It's getting so close! Well I hope you all have a great time and please post about your experience so that I can live vicariously through you all for a few days ;).

i won't be able to go either, so, yes please, do tell us all when you return...

and for anyone else who can't make it.... we'll be sure to get all the info and post for you. :thumbup:

It also seems like a few of us are looking at real estate, maybe after the trip we can all chat about what we found. Feel free to PM me...

To everyone going this week, have a great time and looking forward to your updates!

unfortunately I cant make it to CSU that week (just so happens my pre-req classes are on spring break this week) so I am flying out there tomorrow and visiting the school this Friday... I am really excited... from all the people I have talked to, past and current students, and people who grew up in denver/ft. collins, absolutely everyone has loved it and has nothing bad to say... so I am hoping I will also be one of them :)

Hope you enjoy their visit day! Ill post anything I think that might be of interest that I come across this week :)

Soxbox- How did the visit go? did you find out any good information?

Soxbox- How did the visit go? did you find out any good information?

Well I absolutely fell in love with the school... Ft. Collins is really an awesome town... there is basically every sort of store/restaurant you could imagine, all pretty close to the school, yet it is pretty easy to get around by foot (and there were also a lot of bicycles there too)... it has a town feel to it rather than a big city (and driving around wasnt too bad at all either).

So the school is really cool... you spend the first 2 years on the main campus... freshman have what they call "cubes"... theres about 15 or so people per cube... you have a desk, some space to keep your things, theres some computers, fridge, microwave... its supposed to be a great place to meet your classmates, study, just sort of a central area for all the first years... the anatomy lab was also really cool... at each station there is a computer with very detailed anatomy software... its open 24 hours as well

a lot of tests are done online at CSU... they also go by a strict honor code. if you have a test online, sometimes the professor will say its closed book, no classmate help and its up to you to abide by that... sometimes it will be open notes but no classmates, or vice versa... its policed by the students so if you see someone in violation its up to you to report it.... i think our student tour guide said there was one violation this entire year, so that is pretty cool (you can do a lot of these exams at home)

Also I found out that CSU is a pass fail school... you will get grades on tests and stuff as they do rank students (if you were pursuing internships, etc) but other than that its just pass/fail... they have been doing that for I think 6 years now... its supposed to eliminate any competition amongst students (and our guide also said that last year the top ranked student didnt match for an internship, but the last ranked student did!!)

I asked a few people and most everyone recommended the first year trying to live close to school (though if you are really close you tend to end up in very high undergrad populated areas... which can = parties all the time :) ) When you accept at CSU they will give you your username and password and they have an online housing list that you can access that is updated daily with new rentals and whatnot... from the looking that I did, I would say about 75% of the places were pet friendly!!

Another great thing about CSU is that they have tons of clubs to join, each having its own vet based theme (ie: feline, bovine, surgery, equine) they are pretty cheap to join, like $10 a year, and they have a lot of wet labs and speakers that come... so its a good way to get some hands on experience...

your last 2 years are spent at the hospital (which is about 1 mile away from campus)... all classes and everything else are there... but we were told that as first or second years, there are lots of opportunities to work in the hospital... you just have to go and find them...

so overall I think I am sold... (if only it didnt come with a $200,000 price tag!!) but really, it seems like a really cool place to go to school for 4 years!! (and all you have to do is look over your shoulder and there are the rocky mountains... so cool!!!!)

I am so happy I went to visit... and next week it looks like its going to be quite the place to be with the open house going on as well... I also got to meet 4theanimals :)

So good luck and I think I am sending out my acceptance next week!!

soxbox- thank you very much for posting the feedback. sounds like CSU is very AWESOME!:)

yes, soxbox, thanks so much, and hope you join us there!! one more thing to add... we get a discount on pet care and food, is my understanding - which wasn't the same at wsu.

yes, soxbox, thanks so much, and hope you join us there!! one more thing to add... we get a discount on pet care and food, is my understanding - which wasn't the same at wsu.

oh yeah... important point :) most foods students get for free... there are some (I am guessing perhaps the prescription diets?) that there is a slight charge for... and normal pet health care (ie: vaccines, heartworm tests) are $3-$5 or so... and any procedures done, students get a 40% discount at the hospital... so definitely not too shabby :)

Soxbox, thank you so much for the feedback! I am so excited/anxious about starting school. Do you know anything about whether or not we need to get any vaccines before August? I haven't received anything and a lot of people have been talking about it here (on SDN). I'd just like to do it sooner than later. Did they say anything about working during school (i.e. are there students that try to work and what type of work do they do (animal, waiting tables...))? THANK YOU SO MUCH AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE!!!!!

Soxbox, thank you so much for the feedback! I am so excited/anxious about starting school. Do you know anything about whether or not we need to get any vaccines before August? I haven't received anything and a lot of people have been talking about it here (on SDN). I'd just like to do it sooner than later. Did they say anything about working during school (i.e. are there students that try to work and what type of work do they do (animal, waiting tables...))? THANK YOU SO MUCH AND I HOPE TO SEE YOU OUT THERE!!!!!

there was not a mention about vaccines or anything... hopefully something will be coming in the mail soon!

on the second tour I went on, the 2nd year student mentioned that one of her classmates was an RN who worked 30 hours a week!! (though I think that is very unusual :)) Our student had said that it is kind of hard to get a job at any local vet clinic because they are inundated with people who are willing to volunteer (however she did not mention about working for $$ in the hospital) I am hoping I qualify for work study and can get an easy job somewhere on campus (ie: swiping ID cards or something like that!)

if you want to work, there really are TONS of retail/restaurants around campus... I definitely plan on working... but hopefully I can make it to second semester just so I can settle in and not be too overwhelmed!

I really wish I would have asked more about working... I was just so excited to actually be there I didnt think of it :)

oh, and does anyone know when we hear anything about financial aid?

its so weird/scary/exciting now that this is really happening!!

I'm not sure what you're looking for in terms of financial aid but I sent my FAFSA in over a month ago. I have since registered on RAMweb and CSU has received my FAFSA. My estimated cost (inc. tuition and other living expenses) according to RAMweb aid status is $50,606- although I expect mine to be a bit less because I wont have rent. My aid award is unavailable because my "verification of acceptance into a CSU graduate program" is unsatisfied. I called about this a few days ago and it has been confirmed in the financial aid office but since the system was upgraded recently they said it may take another week for the system to confirm it. I would really like to apply for some of the scholarships but haven't received anything about them (maybe only for existing students?). I hope that helps :D

Well as Soxbox said we got to meet - how fun! :D She really passed on a lot of what we learned, but some of it is soooo good I might mention it again! I have to agree that I only fell more in love with the school and the town!

The anatomy lab is incredible. Although the building appears a little older, the equipment within was great. And the program soxbox mentioned is incredible. It allows layer by layer views of the anatomy. You can rotate the specimen 360 degrees on the screen. It also allows you to test yourself. And they give this program to you on CD to have at home.

I got the impression that there was a real sense of camaraderie between students. I think the cube setup soxbox mentioned can only help! ANd how nice to have an area like that. The faculty also appear to be incredibally supportive. We were told that they are very available. They even will make time on weekends to give a student one on one time if they are realy struggling.

I also liked the fact that CSU really embraces technology. The program mentioned above, online testing, etc.

The hospital and facilities are HUGE! Hopefully soxbox can remember to second but I believe she said that small animal case load was 18000 a year while large animal was about 3000 or 4000. The place was really jumping for a Friday afternoon.

Coming from CA the cost of housing was nothing! I was looking for a condo to buy since I will be there for five years with the combined program. I have an INCREDIBLE realtor who was recommended by a current DVM/MBA student. If anybody would like her contact information send me an email to covet2be at msn.com. You can get something just a couple miles away from school and miss the undergrad noise/partying but be close enough to ride your bike. You can definitely get a two bedroom/two bath condo or townhome for less than $150,000 (probably much less depending on where you want to live and what work you are willing to do).

The realtor also told me that Laporte (just outside of Fort Collins) was a place that a lot of people with horses live. This wouldn't be too far to drive. I also saw a few places for horse boarding within town, but not a ton. Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask, but the school has a huge equine center on the west edge of town. They might allow you to board there. There are some other small towns around where you might also be able to find something depending on how far away you want to live.

Bikes are definitely the way to go! The town is flat and there are bike paths literally everywhere. You can also ride the bus for free - it is included in the tuition. So there are plenty of possibilities for transportation.

In case anyone is interested in the DVM/MBA program I also met with the director of the distance MBA program. Once again I was so impressed. The first year you go to the MBA school Tues/Thurs night from 5:30 to 9:10pm. You then take a one unit vet course in addition to bring you to full time. You take a couple classes over summer and then one class a semester (in addition to vet school) for the next two years. The students currently in the program handle the load really well. Apparently, currently in the vet school classes an MBA/DVM student is ranked number one and their are a couple more in the top ten.

The entire distance MBA class is around 30. Again, with the technology. They have the electronic white board where they write on it and that can then be transferred to an electronic document. The room is set up in a horseshoe shape so that everyone can see each other. Each seat has an electrical outlet and a place for ethernet cable. The entire building is wireless so you can also use that. There is a printer in the room that you can print to. There is also an "air projector". Apparently anyone in the room can hook up to it and project whatever they are working on in their computer.

It was so hard to leave! I can't wait to get started. If you need something else I can try to answer.

Some of the scenic beauty in Fort Collins. This is Horsetooth Reservoir at the West side of town.

Attachments

• house hunt 015b.JPG
    house hunt 015b.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 121
Your enthusiasm is rubbing off! i can't wait to visit this week! Funny you should mention the Mba combined program- I was just looking at that this weekend and sent off some e-mails to inquire about the program. Thanks for getting me excited!

Funny you should mention the Mba combined program- I was just looking at that this weekend and sent off some e-mails to inquire about the program.

Obviously, I am not an expert about the program, but I have spoken with a couple of current students, etc. Your welcome to email me at covet2be at msn.com with questions and I'll help you if I can. I have found the school to be incredibally responsive though so this may not be necessary.

4theanimals, were you accepted into the combined DVM/MBA program? I thought you had to apply for that in the supplemental. I really wanted to do it but have NO business experience and since they only accept ~5 students for it per year I decided not to. Are you looking into getting into it now or are you already in it? If not the latter, will you let me know what you find out please :D? Thanks for all of the info and picture and everything! I hope everyone else is as excited to start as I am. Are you going to be moving out there earlier in the summer. I think I'm going to be moving by mid-June. We should all get together before school starts- that would be FUN!!!

Hey QTKitty:

I actually applied specifically to the MBA/DVM program completing the additional/supplemental information required. I doubt there is anyway you can retroactively (for lack of a better term) get into the program.

I haven't hammered out the move yet but I definitely plan to be there by July 1. I agree - we will all have to keep in touch and meet.

Congrats on getting into the program! I had a feeling that's the way it worked but thought I'd make sure. I don't even finish school until June 9th so I can't move until after that :rolleyes:. Anyway, we'll definitely have to keep in touch!

Thanks for the comments from everyone who visited the school last week. They are sooooooo helpful :).

For the folks going this week, are you going to all the lectures, etc.? I will be, and feel free to PM me so we can make sure to all meet, get names, etc.

I am getting more excited each day....

"My estimated cost (inc. tuition and other living expenses) according to RAMweb aid status is $50,606"
QTkitty
Can you tell me how the site came up with this figure? Like what the breakdown is? I was figuring a little less for out of state. Thanks

Hey horsybaby, here's my breakdown...
Books and Supplies $1,224.00
Health Care Allowance $1,300.00
Personal Expenses $2,392.00
Living Allowance $7,624.00
Tuition and Fees $38,066.00
Total: $50,606.00
I'm going to try to take out 50K per year in loans for tuition and "other stuff". I think you could get away with taking out less if you wanted to though. I finally got my hold cleared and the office of financial aid says I should receive my aid award by mid-april (YAY!) :D

Don't worry....it's not the end of the world. You missed some good tours, 2 donkeys, a few good talks by important people, and mock surgery for 8 year old kids. (I know, the 2 donkey part makes you regret not coming).

I am sure the students who came out had a great time, but we can always give you tours and chit-chat with ya at other times. I didn't make it to open house last year and came a few weeks later....tour I got was still THE BOMB!

There are so many students that want to help ya'll out....just call the Dean's office and ASK!!!!

-Ash-
CSU PVM2010 Prezzzzidentee:laugh:

P.S- If you haven't killed anyone lately, haven't robbed a bank in the last 4-6weeks, and are semi-sane....I might be able to find somewhere for you to stay during your visit.

anxiously awaiting posts from those who went last weekend... what did you think?? any news for next year?

Hi - sorry for the lag in posting info from last weekend. I sent in my acceptance, and am now just desperately waiting for my fin. aid paperwork to process as I need the full amount of loans....:scared:

All the teachers did presentations of their areas, and since this was a "pre-vet" day it wasn't necessarily focused on "us" (class of 2011), so they also did alot about the role of vets today, misc info, etc. I definitely had to go and find folks to introduce myself and once I did, everyone was VERY nice, approachable, etc. They grabbed teachers from different areas: equine exclusive, exotic, LA, SA, mixed, etc. so you could chat with anyone and get a good feel for what you'd be doing.

Meeting some of the teachers and students was key for me. It's really important to me that the students work together, respect each other, have access to teachers, practical application, etc.

Students were asked pros/cons: pros: student/teacher ratio, overall access to teachers, great facilities, ops to work (they said a high amount of students work with teachers on research projects for extra $). cons: 1st/2nd years are on main campus, then 3rd/4th years are on the hospital campus. I spent alot of time with the students and asked as many questions as I could, and everyone was great, gave me their email addresses, said to contact them for anything, etc.

Since there were so many people there, I wasn't able to find any SDN folks (maybe I should have written "buddhagal" on my nametag:D) so that was a bummer but I do hope everyone who did go can add their thoughts and impressions...and I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Sorry it took so long to respond, after leaving CSU, have hit the ground running! The Open House was informative and gave me a great feeling for the atmosphere of the school. I found Sherry Stewart's talk on the admissions choice process very interesting. She reiterated that it is not one cut and dry factor they are looking at in an applicant- it is the whole package. Someone they think would fit into the CSU program. But it is done by people and is subjective. The students I met were all great, down to earth and seemed to LOVE the program. Fort Collins was easy to get around and in the 3 days I was there, I got a "friendly" feel. Basically for what type of vet med I am interested in- I was sold. The equine experience was my dream come true. I found myself getting excited just driving up the road!Now, To get off the alternate list and to find where to get the 50 grand needed /year! Also was fortunate enough to meet up with Rosiemoll3 and Peco- enjoyed meeting fellow SDN ers and hope to be able to spend more time with them next year. Sorry to have missed buddhagel- but tough to ID without a name!

That's all so great to hear! I'm going out there the weekend of the 20th and am so excited. I'm going to go on a tour of the 1st year facilities on Friday but don't have time for much else as I'm really going out there primarily to look at property. Thank you so much for posting about your experiences and I can't wait to meet you all!

Haha, it seems like everyone got to respond today… …. I just finished the things that I got to do and now I have some time to breathe before the semester ends… sorry for the late post:) .

So, I went to the pre-vet day on Friday and the open house on Saturday, and I found that ….

CSU is AWESOME!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

First, ok, I have to talk about the anatomy lab again. It is SO COOL! That anatomy software is definitely impressive. Also, when I was having the tour there, there was an undergraduate class in session. Even though those students were not vet students, I could feel the energy of the environment (the lab). The students were so active in learning and interacting etc. To me it’s very interesting that there are speakers hanging up on top of the ceiling playing music while everybody was learning!! I have never seen such a lively lab in my life.

Second, the vet students say the faculty are very nice and their relationship is pretty close. Someone told me that the faculty treat students as colleague rather than ‘students.’ In the pre-vet session, the faculty say that even they are big in research, they put a lot of attention to teaching too.

Third, we also got to tour the repro lab. It is located in another campus, but it’s not that far away from the main campus. It’s just about a 5mins drive. We also got to see a demo of semen collection from a stallion. Then they brought the collected semen to the diagnostic lab and showed us how they analyzed it. The lab is obviously another great facility. Also, they have a few arenas and so many barns.

Fourth, the vet students in CSU look really happy. They look like they have a pretty balanced life. For example, from the student panel, they said at least 1/3 of the class have part time job (correct me if I am wrong). They really have time to do outside classroom things. I have visited some other schools, and I definitely met some students who were overwhelmed by classes and looked a little depressed. I am sure this happens in every school, but I didn’t get this impression much from CSU students. Would that because I met them during the open house where everybody was in the ‘hosting/welcoming’ mode?

Anyway, these are something that I want to point out in addition to what others have said in this thread. Hope these help you to love CSU you even more! :laugh:

thanks everyone for posting!!! i am so excited (like everyone else). i'm heading down again in late may, early june to find housing, find a bank, and all the other things i have to do and don't know about.

well csu finally received my acceptance letter today :) nothing like waiting until the last minute... I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes before I get some sort of information (ie: student ID number) so I can register on Ramweb and register for classes (as it says that I should do on that orientation webpage) Janet from admissions said in an email that I will hear from DVM admissions in May with an information packet, but I believe QTkitty, you were able to register on Ramweb and see your financial aid and all that stuff already?

Also, how do I get this info... via email, snail mail?

Thanks for any info :)

Hey soxbox,
Can't wait to see you in August!
Janet said she'd received my acceptance as of April 4th, and that it would take a few weeks for CSU to process my stuff and send me an ID# and everything.
I'll let you know as soon as I get something...
:hardy:

hi all,
did you all communicate with Janet via emails? i sent in my letter but i didn't get any email. i called though and she left me a message saying that she received my letter and has started processing my stuff. she said i will receive the student id and such (from the general admission, not DVM admission) via snail mail. i haven't got anything yet. it has been 3 weeks since i sent out the letter, i believe.

Yeah, soxbox!

There is a letter that you will receive via snail mail which has your "EID". That allows you to see financial aid, etc. At this time it is just your required need not your financial aid award. My situation was different since I got my acceptance so early, but it took 2 1/2 months to get it. That is really all I've received. They have just started posting some of the orientation stuff. I imagine once that is firmed up they will send a comprehensive package. And in regards to the EID I am able to see some registration stuff but I think it says you need an advisor approval or some such so you can't do anything on that front anyway.

soxbox - did you get the link to the newbies page at least? the orientation is one week and looks rad...

Hello to all fellow rams, can't wait to meet you in August.

I gave them my acceptance at the CSU vet day, and got my EID on the ramweb page, here's the info: "Current Students: Contact the Registrar's office at (970) 491-7148 and explain that you need your CSUID."

Still waiting for my loan award info, like someone said it takes about 2 months....but you can check off some of the basics. I'm looking forward to getting more info ....

wildfocus, what's the newbie page?

Hey all! I'm glad to see so many SDNers are going to be attending CSU in the fall! Anyway, I sent my acceptance to them in January and I think it did take nearly a month before I got my EID. You may be able to call that number and get it early (as buddhagal suggested). On RAMweb, my financial aid status shows that everything is in, etc. and that the awards will be posted for grad students by mid-April (so I guess any day now...).

Wildfocus- I haven't seen anything about this newbie page either, how was it sent to you?

i got the URL with my acceptance letter - and the page includes links to orientation, survival skills, the honor code, the business program, child care, etc. did no one else get? there is still a lot of info from 2006, but none of it seemed classified. now i'm afraid i put my foot in my mouth, and they will disqualify me or something (yes, i am still obsessed that i didn't really get in)... i'll look tonight when i get home and see if i can pm the link to you all.

thanks for all the info :) I do have the orientation link and I can send that along... it has stuff like the books we need to buy and all that sort of stuff..

Janet said that in sometime in May we would be getting an information packet from the DVM admissions group, but she didnt really say what was in it, but not to expect anything from the vet school for at least a month...

I am really starting to get excited (and scared sh*tless all at the same time) :)

see you guys in august!!
lauren