CSU vs Penn (OOS for both)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful2414

Reaction score
Hello! I've been accepted OOS at CSU and Penn and was wondering if someone would share pros and cons for both schools (particularly CSU) ? I've seen more info about Penn than CSU so far just reading though the forums.

Is one school more supportive of its students than the other? How easy is it to seek out any sort of academic help if you need it at either place? Is it easy to reach out to professors to set up shadowing/experiences?

I'm interested in small animal and maybe exotics. I loved both campuses when I interviewed, i'm at a total loss here lol.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a current undergrad at CSU, so I don't have a ton of credibility vouching for the vet program. However, I absolutely LOVE Fort Collins. It is a beautiful town and there are always fun events, and there is always something to do. There is a strong community feel here. I don't know where you live now so I don't know what it would compare to for you, but rent is pricey here so most people have to get roommates to cover. My professors for undergrad (some of which teach in the vet program as well) have been super supportive and helpful. I have a few friends in the vet program and they all love it. You get 24/7 access to the anatomy facility and there's a ton of opportunities to work at the VTH and get hands on experience in your first two years. I use to work at the EORC at the VTH and I received hourly pay and got $3000 off my tuition each year. (again this is for undergrad so idk if its the same for grad) Another con would be that the vet hospital and the courses you take in the first two years are in different locations. So unless you work at the VTH you likely won't be there much the first two years (besides for clubs and a few classes). Also, parking is pretty rough here. I am lucky to live in the on-campus apartments so I always have a parking spot. I pay $660 for an annual parking pass and I think commuters pay around $200 for their pass which isn't too bad. However, there's not always spots available. We also have an amazing, safe, clean, friendly bus and max system that you get with your tuition. It's pretty easy to get around using those and they near most major spots around town. I am so grateful for the resources CSU has offered me throughout undergrad and I truly don't think I would have gotten into multiple vet schools without the reputation, support, and resources I have been offered as a student here. I imagine this expands even further for the vet program. I hope this helps, feel free to message me with any specific questions! Also, I can't vouch for Penn here because I don't know much about the program.

Reactions: 1 user
So I'm a current undergrad at CSU, so I don't have a ton of credibility vouching for the vet program. However, I absolutely LOVE Fort Collins. It is a beautiful town and there are always fun events, and there is always something to do. There is a strong community feel here. I don't know where you live now so I don't know what it would compare to for you, but rent is pricey here so most people have to get roommates to cover. My professors for undergrad (some of which teach in the vet program as well) have been super supportive and helpful. I have a few friends in the vet program and they all love it. You get 24/7 access to the anatomy facility and there's a ton of opportunities to work at the VTH and get hands on experience in your first two years. I use to work at the EORC at the VTH and I received hourly pay and got $3000 off my tuition each year. (again this is for undergrad so idk if its the same for grad) Another con would be that the vet hospital and the courses you take in the first two years are in different locations. So unless you work at the VTH you likely won't be there much the first two years (besides for clubs and a few classes). Also, parking is pretty rough here. I am lucky to live in the on-campus apartments so I always have a parking spot. I pay $660 for an annual parking pass and I think commuters pay around $200 for their pass which isn't too bad. However, there's not always spots available. We also have an amazing, safe, clean, friendly bus and max system that you get with your tuition. It's pretty easy to get around using those and they near most major spots around town. I am so grateful for the resources CSU has offered me throughout undergrad and I truly don't think I would have gotten into multiple vet schools without the reputation, support, and resources I have been offered as a student here. I imagine this expands even further for the vet program. I hope this helps, feel free to message me with any specific questions! Also, I can't vouch for Penn here because I don't know much about the program.

Not OP, but this was really helpful thank you!