CSU VS UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThNeal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a transfer student getting ready to make a decision this semester on where I want to go Fall 2014. As of late i've been really considering going to CSU Chico because they will allow me to take all my Pre-Dental classes, and I have a few friends that I want to live with as well...

I have a 3.75 gpa so i'm not too worried about getting into a UC it's just for personal reasons I would like to attend a CSU. Do you guys think this will affect my chances on getting into a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

If one school had a more active pre-dental society it may sway my decision. But I am going to guess that CSU is less expensive, so I would probably go there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!! 100% that is one of the reasons I want to go to a CSU is because it's much cheaper then the UC...

I've talked to. Few undergrads in random majors, and they are so UC biased it's crazy.. It really scares me when they have little respect for CSUs

I promise you going to a CSU will not hold you back if you do well on your DAT and maintain a high GPA. I went to a CSU and was offered 9 interviews (attended 6 - UCLA, UCSF, Michigan, UPenn, USC, Western) and was accepted everywhere except Western.

Reactions: 1 user
I promise you going to a CSU will not hold you back if you do well on your DAT and maintain a high GPA. I went to a CSU and was offered 9 interviews (attended 6 - UCLA, UCSF, Michigan, UPenn, USC, Western) and was accepted everywhere except Western.
Wow! That's impressive. If you don't mind me asking a few questions?

-what were your stats?
- what csu did you attend?
-was it western university in Pomona?

I'd choose a UC no doubt. Though I am biased. I'm not sure how much dental school admissions hold on undergrad institute prestige however. Go to wherever you'll be most happy and most successful. Having a high gpa is killer, and it's easier to get a high gpa at a csu

Being happy with your choice is the most important factor. I really don't think D-Schools care where you go as long as you do well.

Last edited:
Please choose the cheaper school. I went to CC and did ALL of my prereqs there and got 6 interviews and 3 acceptances. Granted I was waitlisted at USC.. LOL, but still...

Go to the school you'll be happiest at. I went to my state school for undergrad and it didn't hinder my application at all.

I'd choose a UC no doubt. Though I am biased. I'm not sure how much dental school admissions hold on undergrad institute prestige however. Go to wherever you'll be most happy and most successful. Having a high gpa is killer, and it's easier to get a high gpa at a csu
I'm assuming you went to UCSB?
If I were to go to a UC it would be SB!

I went to a CSU that was literally 10mins from home. Parents wanted me to go to a UC, but only because of the name. I didn't care for the environment, at least at UCSD, although it is a fine institution. Graduated debt free and going to D-school (ironically a UC) in the fall. No regrets. Enjoy your experience, just don't f*** around.

I went to a CSU that was literally 10mins from home. Parents wanted me to go to a UC, but only because of the name. I didn't care for the environment, at least at UCSD, although it is a fine institution. Graduated debt free and going to D-school (ironically a UC) in the fall. No regrets. Enjoy your experience, just don't f*** around.
What D school did you get into?

Stats?

What csu did you attend?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Csu is cheaper , has smaller class size, no crappy premed competition, easier access to research opportunity.

I'm assuming you went to UCSB?
If I were to go to a UC it would be SB!
Yessir! And I'll probably never have as much fun again! Hahaha. Go to where you'll be happiest, and where you can get the highest gpa (without sacrificing too much prestige). It all depends on what you want.

However, I do notice you said you are a transfer student. Did you do coursework at a cc or transferring from another university? If you went to a cc, maybe a UC would be a better choice to show adcoms you can perform well against a more competitive class.

Yeah, agree to all of above.
I went to UCLA and I would say:
Pros:
If you want to be challenged/prepared for DS rigors, 9/10 of your upper division classes are gunner pre-meds, so the motivation and will to learn will be there.
Research is abundant (Like no kidding, it is even a requirement for my major)
Connections to dental school (Exclusive for UCLA)
Campus population is huge, so you will be exposed to a lot more, especially in clubs and school activities. This can build character, cultural awareness and exposure to other opportunities outside academia. Personally, this is what made my school worth it for me.

Con:
If you can't keep up with the class curve, even your best can result to a B, B+.
$$$ - Tuition increases even mid-year, in between quarters. Cray-cray.

I can't speak for CSUs, however, but it seems like SDNers who went there did not have trouble getting in this cycle. Go to wherever you see yourself fit well and where you think you will grow the most as a person. That's what I did. If money is a factor, go wherever gives the most money -- you want to get into DS with as little debt as possible.

I'm a transfer student getting ready to make a decision this semester on where I want to go Fall 2014. As of late i've been really considering going to CSU Chico because they will allow me to take all my Pre-Dental classes, and I have a few friends that I want to live with as well...

I have a 3.75 gpa so i'm not too worried about getting into a UC it's just for personal reasons I would like to attend a CSU. Do you guys think this will affect my chances on getting into a dental school?

UC's area terribly academically cut throat (well, depends on which campus you attend). This might bring down you GPA and make your chances worse. Also, at a UC you'll hardly get a chance to get to know your profs and you'll get zero hand holding, as you'll have massive 100+ person lectures. Are you a proficient independent learner? At CSU's however, you have small classes, and generally it'll be lower stress and less competitive academically. If you think you'll need smaller classes and the idea of less competition (and of course, lower price!) sounds appealing then you should attend a CSU. I don't think prestige of the undergrad school you attend matters at all in Dschool admissions.

I went to a UC for undergrad and did some post-bacc classes at CSU, so I've seen both sides of the coin :)

The overall quality of my science education at a CSU was absolutely fantastic. We had professors from UC's, Ivy Leagues, Stanford, etc... and they were all extremely approachable and helpful in office hours and in class because of our small (i.e. ~50-75 student) classes. I got a 22 on my DAT's for studying for maybe 2 weeks for 3 hours a day primarily because of what I learned in my classes.

It's absolutely true that the AVERAGE student at a CSU is well below the AVERAGE student at a UC, but CSU's definitely have a lot of really bright students as well. If you take your classes seriously going to a CSU is a fantastic decision. The reason why CSU's aren't represented as well as UC's in health professions admissions is simply because not as many CSU students APPLY as UC students do.

UC's area terribly academically cut throat (well, depends on which campus you attend). This might bring down you GPA and make your chances worse. Also, at a UC you'll hardly get a chance to get to know your profs and you'll get zero hand holding, as you'll have massive 100+ person lectures. Are you a proficient independent learner? At CSU's however, you have small classes, and generally it'll be lower stress and less competitive academically. If you think you'll need smaller classes and the idea of less competition (and of course, lower price!) sounds appealing then you should attend a CSU. I don't think prestige of the undergrad school you attend matters at all in Dschool admissions.

I went to a UC for undergrad and did some post-bacc classes at CSU, so I've seen both sides of the coin :)
I feel like admissions do put some weight on undergrad campus attended. There's no possible way that a 3.6 at UC Berkeley and a 3.6 at a no name college is weighed the same. If there is no point to go to a hard undergrad, why go?

I would choose a CSU purely for cost of tuition, from what I know and people I've met CSU's will be fine for preparing and getting accepted.

I feel like admissions do put some weight on undergrad campus attended. There's no possible way that a 3.6 at UC Berkeley and a 3.6 at a no name college is weighed the same. If there is no point to go to a hard undergrad, why go?
True, the Berkeley applicant would be favorable in this case. (Not accounting for all the other factors)But as far as I know, they only give "hard" undergrads a few points of leeway. A 3.2 at Berkeley < 3.6 from a "no name" college.