CTE Deadline Questions -- Really Important Advice Needed Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My SO is in a predicament. Has an A with a CTE deadline of mid-June, a full 6 weeks before orientation even starts (end of July). My SO is on a WL on their dream school (for many reasons including family obligations/ties) whose orientation doesn't start till the end of August. Of course we're hoping the A comes in by some miracle but here are my q's:

1. In regards to the school where the A is held, is the CTE unreasonably early (almost 6 weeks before orientation starts)?

2. Also has anyone had any luck explaining their situation to see if an exemption can be made to delay the CTE for even a little bit to see if the other WL will come through (given the extenuating circumstances of the WL school being a significantly better fit, not life or death but close to it)? I feel like we are all human and there is that aspect that sometimes gets overlooked with respect to how many lives are affected and potentially upended.

3. What would happen if we couldn't extend the CTE and stayed on the other WL and somehow got in? Would only the deposit be lost and does the other school even know the CTE has been given to the first (currently accepted school)?

TYSM for any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

As wishful as your thinking may be, no school plans to wait until August to get their class roster set.
1. The 6 weeks between commitment and orientation is time the school uses to collect all the paperwork needed for registration, verification of credentials, collecting vaccination records and asking students to get re-vaccinated if needed, and reviewing the background checks.
2. Unlikely they will extend the CTE date. Your explanation of why is pretty vague
3. If they CTE they are expected to drop off all WLs. If they don't CTE by the due date they could be dropped from the one class where they are accepted. Does this sound like an acceptable risk to you?

Having a medical school acceptance is not a terrible predicament, it is a successful application cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, 6 weeks is unreasonably early, since 3 weeks is what AAMC recommends. As you have seen, however, schools are free to do whatever they want with this. And no, telling a school you want an extension because they are not your first choice is not going to get you anywhere.

It is against the protocols to remain on WLs once you are CTE at a school. Most schools honor this and will not accept you off a WL once you are CTE elsewhere, so it's a longshot and not worth the risk of getting caught.

It is what it is. The only move is to call the WL school the first week of June and explain the situation. If they have a spot and want you, they will accommodate you. If not, you withdraw and it's over.