Cube Counting Method

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pk62281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd just like to share my cube counting method that worked very well for me. It's quick and easy, so you can worry about some of the harder stuff. Please see the attached file. It's pretty self explanatory. I don't I've gotten any incorrect answers since I devised it. Maybe someone else out there already came up with this, but I'll share it anyway.

Here are the steps
1. Setup the L's by cube level
2. Fill in the number of exposed sides in the corresponding L
3. Answer the question

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• cube.JPG
    cube.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 443
Anybody ever tried anything like this or am I the first one? IMHO this is wayyy better than tallying them up one by one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice this is a good idea, this is the 1st time I have seen this method done, and believe me I've looked for other methods!

Great method! I just did the cube counting method on one of the Crack Dat Pat tests and got all 12 right, and finished all of them in just over 10 minutes. Thanks!!!!

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd just like to share my cube counting method that worked very well for me. It's quick and easy, so you can worry about some of the harder stuff. Please see the attached file. It's pretty self explanatory. I don't I've gotten any incorrect answers since I devised it. Maybe someone else out there already came up with this, but I'll share it anyway.

Here are the steps
3. Answer the question

Good luck!

Can you please explain it a little more?...it's probably my meat-head brain on spring break but I don't really see what you're doing :oops:

This method seems to be a bit time consuming to me. you'll be counting the cubes twice. 1st to make your setup/table, then again when the questions. Assuming you're like me, with the tally method, once you tallied up all the cubes write out the number of tallies all I do when each question comes up is glance down and select. Not saying you're method is wrong. We each have our own methods.

Hi Guys,

Here are the steps
3. Answer the question

Good luck!

never thought about this is great ..thanks for sharing !

Can you please explain it a little more?...it's probably my meat-head brain on spring break but I don't really see what you're doing :oops:

going from top to bottom, you set up the L's in sections. haha... its hard to explain. Did you take a look at the picture? I feel like that picture is worth more than thousand words.

What were your other methods on the other sections of the PAT?

For Aperatures, I didn't have a set method. I just made sure that I was not "tricked" While finding the solution, sometimes you get excited and jump at the first answer that seems to fit. Often, there is some minute detail that differs from the two. In the beginning, I would average about 40% right, now it's almost 100%, so practice practice practice. If you're stuck between two choices, it's most likely proportions that willl set one apart from the other (one is too long, or too wide or short, etc.)

For top bottom view, no set method. I'm an engineer and I deal with engineering drawings at work. It just comes naturally to me, so there was no need for a strategy.

For hole punching, GRID METHOD ALL THE WAY. There's a good post on how to do it. I don't know where it is, but you can look for it. Draw a 4x4 grid (draw 5 lines across and 5 lines down). Make sure you somehow mark the hole punches that dont have paper on the underside of it.

For angle ranking, I used the hill method if the answer was not obvious, and I bent my head back and forth to get one of the lines to be flat. Make sure you look at the answers first so that you're narrowing down your comparison between 2 choices. Block the lines from the angles if 2 angles have a big difference in the lengths of lines. If one angle has one long line, and a short, and the other is setup differently, I think it can create an optical illusion in your head, and can mislead you.

For pattern folding I had no set method, I just practiced a lot. One piece of strange advice. At first, I would start each question by always starting from A, then B, etc. I found that I would often choose A or B as an answer, and I thought that was strang, and I would show in my scores. My score actually improved after I chose a random answer to start with.

i just used this method for cube counting on my first cdp test. Although it looks like a good method, its just not feasible with the time limit. This is just my personal experience, maybe others work better with this method. It just took too long drawing all the L's first and making sure they were placed right.