Cube Counting rules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HowAboutDAT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question on the rules of cube counting... see attached. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• cube question.docx
    46.7 KB · Views: 186
The back raw has 2 cubes only, Kaplan mentions that the only hidden cubes are the ones necessary to support cubes in the figure ( the case in your second figure).

the second figure does not have a hole in the middle, it has a cube with 2 sides because the the middle 2 cubes are resting on it.

Hope this will help

There are two cubes in the back row. Why?
If you don't see it, it's not there.

No, there is not a whole in the middle of the second figure. See the attached file!

Attachments

• cube question.docx
    66.8 KB · Views: 120
I agree with u nze 82 but not seeing the cube doesnt necessarily mean it is not there. In the second figure you cant see the middle cube but it is there. If there are no cubes above the cube that you can not see then it is not there.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, It has 2 sides. The cube has 6 side. the upper is attached to the cube with four sides exposed. The lower side does not count so that leaves 4 left. 2 are attached to the cubes that are in the middle of the external lines ( the ones that have 2 sides exposed and got shaded by nze82). This will leave 2 sides exposed.

No, It has 2 sides. The cube has 6 side. the upper is attached to the cube with four sides exposed. The lower side does not count so that leaves 4 left. 2 are attached to the cubes that are in the middle of the external lines ( the ones that have 2 sides exposed and got shaded by nze82). This will leave 2 sides exposed.

People are looking at this picture from two different views. One has the fourth pillar (the one in the back) extending from the middle cube, while the other has the fourth pillar (the one in the back) occupying a fourth corner.

I color coded BOTH views and added a top-down view to clarify. In my opinion, I believe the first one is correct, and there IS a hole in the middle, only because I have never come cross another cube problem where cubes from both sides are cut out with a center column extending from it. And yes, I do recognize this picture from Crack DAT PAT. Both could be correct I guess...but yea.

Attachments

• pat.docx
    49.6 KB · Views: 96