"cult" as an acitivitY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostLost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I was a member of Loyola University Bible Fellowship but quit that group because I had disagreement over some theological matters.... no i am reading on the web that this group is actually a controversial evangelical group that some people have labeled as cult. Now should I list this as an activity? I was originally planning to list LUBF and Totus tous (another Catholic student org) together as Faith Involvement on the activity list. I was in LUBF for about a year studying bible and in totus tous for about a year also. But knowing what i know about LUBF Should I list it?

Members don't see this ad.

That's tricky...especially the "some people label it as a cult" bit. What sort of people? A lot of people? I see every religion as a cult but that doesn't mean they are all full of bad experiences. So, if you feel that this experience helped you in any way than go ahead and mention it. It's not like it's the ELF or anything.

Is studying the Bible really an activity that should be listed on AMCAS?

It's like me listing studying biochemistry with a group as an activity. My biochemistry group wasn't labelled as a cult by the media, thank goodness.

I may have misunderstood your involvement with that group.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's tricky...especially the "some people label it as a cult" bit. What sort of people? A lot of people? I see every religion as a cult but that doesn't mean they are all full of bad experiences. So, if you feel that this experience helped you in any way than go ahead and mention it. It's not like it's the ELF or anything.

Do I even want to respond to that?

http://ubf-info.de/index.en.htm

I highly doubt the schools would look into the activity and find out that it is considered by 'some' as a cult. That being said - I think you can lump together all your faith-based groups into one activity so if you feel uncomfortable putting it, leave it out and just list the others.

There is a huge negative connotation when people think of a cult (though there are many misconceptions of most of them). Don't list it.

Edit: Never mind. A Bible study group isn't a cult.

Last edited:
Do I even want to respond to that?

No probably not, I didn't mean it in a bad way, honestly.

I still say that if you feel it was an important experience that helped you grow and mature (and you devoted a lot of time to it) go ahead. If it was more just a Bible-study group like someone mentioned above, I wouldn't mention it.

I still say that if you feel it was an important experience that helped you grow and mature (and you devoted a lot of time to it) go ahead. If it was more just a Bible-study group like someone mentioned above, I wouldn't mention it.
It's too bad your tone sounds a bit condescending, and the fact that you brought up your own opinion on religion almost sounds like you wanna start something, but whatever.

That would still be me.

And claiming that you think of every religion as a cult can only be taken in a bad way. I'm merely pointing out that such statements serve no purpose in the discussion because they are extremist in nature. Ironically, that may be what you hate about "religion"/cults to begin with.

As a man of faith, I have listed a couple of activities like this, but there was more to it than Bible study (even though that's very important). I had leadership roles, we did things for the community, etc. If you feel like there is enough to this group that you could talk about it for awhile, then you can probably list it. But don't just try to fill up the 15 slots.

As a man of faith, I have listed a couple of activities like this, but there was more to it than Bible study (even though that's very important). I had leadership roles, we did things for the community, etc. If you feel like there is enough to this group that you could talk about it for awhile, then you can probably list it. But don't just try to fill up the 15 slots.

Yes, I agree with this. Bible-study is not an activity that will earn you brownie points with the ad coms. However, a faith-based activity/club that works on bringing awareness to the public to its faith through acts of service is commendable indeed.

you should join scientology, then you can put down a real cult in your activities

Well I was a member of Loyola University Bible Fellowship but quit that group because I had disagreement over some theological matters.... no i am reading on the web that this group is actually a controversial evangelical group that some people have labeled as cult. Now should I list this as an activity? I was originally planning to list LUBF and Totus tous (another Catholic student org) together as Faith Involvement on the activity list. I was in LUBF for about a year studying bible and in totus tous for about a year also. But knowing what i know about LUBF Should I list it?

UBF is the controversial group, not necessarily LUBF.

Last edited: