cultural competency class at your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

l0405

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard about the possibility of a cultural competency class 'coming soon to a school near you.'
Does anyone know about this at your school? Is it a required course or an elective? What's the general feeling out there on a) the need for a class like this and b) the effectiveness of a class like this with regard to improved access?
(Personally, I think more resources should be devoted to practice management curriculum, but that's just me... anyone out there who can change my mind??)

Members don't see this ad.

We have periodic courses like this and they are completely unnecessary in my opinion.

In fact, we get bombarded with so much political and diversity junk, that it becomes a running joke amongst students.

This is especially true given the guise under which our administration often operate--completely opposite to that which they proclaim to be teaching us.

l0405 said:
I've heard about the possibility of a cultural competency class 'coming soon to a school near you.'
Does anyone know about this at your school? Is it a required course or an elective? What's the general feeling out there on a) the need for a class like this and b) the effectiveness of a class like this with regard to improved access?
(Personally, I think more resources should be devoted to practice management curriculum, but that's just me... anyone out there who can change my mind??)

Sounds like a waste of time and resources to me. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
LSR1979 said:
Sounds like a waste of time and resources to me. :thumbdown:

For sure, we have it and it's horrible. :thumbdown:
Cultural diversity, common....

UNLV has it too. The idea of it is good, but in all reality we don't have time for busy work. It is nothing you can't learn in a CE course in one afternoon.

ItsGavinC said:
We have periodic courses like this and they are completely unnecessary in my opinion.

In fact, we get bombarded with so much political and diversity junk, that it becomes a running joke amongst students.

This is especially true given the guise under which our administration often operate--completely opposite to that which they proclaim to be teaching us.

Amen GavinC, as if we didn't have enough on our plates as 2nd year dental students. Oh well, I supppose we can turn it into a positive experience...your only homework consists of NOT killing your classmates when they get on your nerves, right? So far I'm doing well in that respect.