Rengra

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
3
0
Status
Hello all,
I'm interested in doing a CUNY post-bacc. While the Hunter and CCNY programs look attractive, I live and work in Brookyln and it would much easier for me to take classes there, although they don't have a formal post-bacc program. Will taking the do-it-yourself route at Brooklyn College versus the formal prgram at CCNY or Hunter hurt my competitiveness? Also, would it be possible for me to take some pre-med classes at Brooklyn and then transfer them to CCNY or Hunter? Finally, how difficult is it to get into the CUNY post-bacc programs. While I attended an Ivy Leage school for udnergrad, my GPA was msierably low (2.9) and I'm worried I won't get in. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
 

emeraldsky

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2006
22
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi Rengra, I can't help you with all your questions as I myself am searching for similar answers. But there's one thing I _can_ answer. I was interested in applying to Columbia post bacc's and here's what they wrote to me:
"Also, keep in mind that medical schools prefer the majority of coursework to be done at one institution. Meaning, if you take a class at Columbia and decide not to apply/attend our program and go somewhere else, it might not work in your favor."
And that's an exact copied and pasted quote from the email. Since post-baccs are usually rolling admissions and if you do the do-it-yourself one you can technically start it whenever you feel ready, it might pay off to think about Brooklyn bs. CCNY or Hunter before you make your final decision as opposed to transferring credits or anything. I know how rough it is trying to decide-- I went to an Ivy League and didn't do great either. I wish you the best of luck!!
 

lawnboy313

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
181
1
Gamehendge
Status
Rengra said:
Hello all,
I'm interested in doing a CUNY post-bacc. While the Hunter and CCNY programs look attractive, I live and work in Brookyln and it would much easier for me to take classes there, although they don't have a formal post-bacc program. Will taking the do-it-yourself route at Brooklyn College versus the formal prgram at CCNY or Hunter hurt my competitiveness? Also, would it be possible for me to take some pre-med classes at Brooklyn and then transfer them to CCNY or Hunter? Finally, how difficult is it to get into the CUNY post-bacc programs. While I attended an Ivy Leage school for udnergrad, my GPA was msierably low (2.9) and I'm worried I won't get in. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
Do the formal route through CCNY or Hunter. Good advising and being in an official program with a vested interest in your success are worth the time for the commute. Lots of folks do post-bacs with good stats and don't get into med school--you need all the help you can get. The head of the program at Hunter apparently has a good track record of getting folks into medical schools.
 
OP
R

Rengra

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
3
0
Status
Thanks guys. Your advice is really great. I think the reason I wanted to take classes at Brooklyn first was to prove I was cabable of doing the coursework. I'm really nervous with low grades I won't be able to get into CCNY or Hunter's programs. :scared:
 

lawnboy313

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
181
1
Gamehendge
Status
Rengra said:
Thanks guys. Your advice is really great. I think the reason I wanted to take classes at Brooklyn first was to prove I was cabable of doing the coursework. I'm really nervous with low grades I won't be able to get into CCNY or Hunter's programs. :scared:
I don't know what their GPA requirement is (or if they even have one). Apply anyways, and if you don't get into their program, then do some coursework at Brooklyn. Then, a little later on down the road once you've proved yourself at Brooklyn, apply again! They accepted me with a full year of prereqs already done. Good luck!
 

sumanya

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
14
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Rengra said:
Hello all,
I'm interested in doing a CUNY post-bacc. While the Hunter and CCNY programs look attractive, I live and work in Brookyln and it would much easier for me to take classes there, although they don't have a formal post-bacc program. Will taking the do-it-yourself route at Brooklyn College versus the formal prgram at CCNY or Hunter hurt my competitiveness? Also, would it be possible for me to take some pre-med classes at Brooklyn and then transfer them to CCNY or Hunter? Finally, how difficult is it to get into the CUNY post-bacc programs. While I attended an Ivy Leage school for udnergrad, my GPA was msierably low (2.9) and I'm worried I won't get in. Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
It was great to read your post - I'm also from an undergrad Ivy and also didn't have great grades. I am in the middle of considering CUNY Hunter vs. CUNY Queens College, where it would be much easier for me to take classes. I'm shooting for Hunter though b/c they have a formal program and good advising is important. I think you have a good shot coming from an Ivy at these schools, even if your grades were low. I would love to talk more if you are planning on attending Hunter this fall - let me know!
 

racermike1967

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
14
0
Status
sumanya said:
It was great to read your post - I'm also from an undergrad Ivy and also didn't have great grades. I am in the middle of considering CUNY Hunter vs. CUNY Queens College, where it would be much easier for me to take classes. I'm shooting for Hunter though b/c they have a formal program and good advising is important. I think you have a good shot coming from an Ivy at these schools, even if your grades were low. I would love to talk more if you are planning on attending Hunter this fall - let me know!
Hello,

I applied for Hunter's pre-med post bac program and found out that I got accepted after calling the office. I just hope that I can do well and get into med-school after the program. I am also going to be working full time so I would need to take courses at night. Sumanya, have you received any notification in the mail regarding acceptance into the program or registration for courses? It would be great to make friends so that we could all work together and help each other succeed.
 

kendunk

New Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2006
1
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
racermike1967 said:
Hello,

I applied for Hunter's pre-med post bac program and found out that I got accepted after calling the office. I just hope that I can do well and get into med-school after the program. I am also going to be working full time so I would need to take courses at night. Sumanya, have you received any notification in the mail regarding acceptance into the program or registration for courses? It would be great to make friends so that we could all work together and help each other succeed.
Hi Racermike,
Congratz in getting accepted :thumbup: . I myself have been thinking long and hard if I should apply for the post bacc. program at Hunter. As I too would like to attend classes at night and keep my full time day job. Please let me know how it goes in terms of the course load and if taking classes part-time is feasible or not.

Thanks and congratz again!
 

trendz80

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
4
0
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that CCNY had a walk in on the spot admissions. I don't know if it is over or not, but I have a 2.7 gpa and I got into the post bacc pre med program. I graduated from CCNY but I still did not go through all of the formal application procedure. I went on 7/19/06 and just brought in my transcripts and the application fee and was admitted on the spot that day. I went in to the pre med office, got advised and I registered today. I think you should go there to see what you can do. CCNY is a good school but they are flexible when it comes to being admitted to their programs. There is still time because class does not start until August 29th I think. I would go see what I can do. But if you do, go really early in the morning. It was chaos today!!!! Just to let you know the sat. bio classes are full but they do have night ones and I think some of the daytime classes are not full yet. That is why I just say to go and check and find out for yourself. I had to get an overtally because I am in nursing school and finishing up and cannot take any classes on the weekday until next semester.

Good Luck.
Lashawn


Rengra said:
Thanks guys. Your advice is really great. I think the reason I wanted to take classes at Brooklyn first was to prove I was cabable of doing the coursework. I'm really nervous with low grades I won't be able to get into CCNY or Hunter's programs. :scared: