Cure for Burnout???

Started by Ishihara
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ishihara

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I originally starting to score from a 30 and 32 on my first two MCAT practice tests. Since my third, my scores have been dropping two points per test. Is this burnout or am I misinterpreting what could just be content gaps?
 
I originally starting to score from a 30 and 32 on my first two MCAT practice tests. Since my third, my scores have been dropping two points per test. Is this burnout or am I misinterpreting what could just be content gaps?

Don't think you know what burnout is..

Burning out is studying TOO much to the point you don't really feel like studying anymore. Motivational, not performance related.

Likely content gaps.. have you been reviewing the questions you got right/wrong? Are they concentrated in a few topics?
 
2 points is not likely to be related to burnout...maybe you were just weak on a topic and that MCAT exploited that weakness...if however, it is due to a bunch of miscalculations or errors from being absent-minded (that is, you are sure you would have never missed that question), then yes, it could be that you are getting burnt out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In all honesty i feel really negative as if my efforts towards this test have been wasted after three months of studying. I truly feel like an idiot for the first time in my life and it's depressingas hell. I feel like my next exam is going to drop to a 20
 
Maybe you need to take a day off. I know it's hard to let yourself have a break since we tend to think that more studying is better. But I got like you at one point and decided to take a day off to spend with my dad and have some fun. After that, my scores finally started to go above 30. You can fatigue your mind so a break can be very beneficial.
 
In all honesty i feel really negative as if my efforts towards this test have been wasted after three months of studying. I truly feel like an idiot for the first time in my life and it's depressingas hell. I feel like my next exam is going to drop to a 20
Take a break. This happened to me when I was studying and it was definitely burnout. I took 2-3 days off, did some fun things, rested, and tried not to think about anything MCAT related. I returned refreshed, motivated, and able to think much more clearly.

Also, I know it's hard, but try not to feel bad about scoring lower on your practice tests. Take it as a learning opportunity and try to improve from your mistakes.

Good luck! You can do it. 🙂
 
I think this happens to everyone who has ever studied for this test. Just force yourself to take a day off and do whatever you want. I did that a few times and came back with a much clearer mind and much better performance.