Curiosity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many pre-meds miss out on being a physician because they refuse to apply to DO schools? I.e. The student who applies MD several cycles and never gets in. It bewilders me.

Members don't see this ad.

How many pre-meds miss out on being a physician because they refuse to apply to DO schools? I.e. The student who applies MD several cycles and never gets in. It bewilders me.
There must be several factors contributing to their refusal to apply to DO schools. Perhaps they are ignorant of DOs or have never taken the time to shadow a practicing DO. Perhaps they have heard negative (and usually false) information about DOs. Unfortunately, the ignorance of the majority of the populace regarding the existence of DOs contributes heavily to the above issues. Who knows? Ultimately, it could just be pure pride and snobbery.

I'm just glad I don't have to compete with or go to school with these kinds of applicants. I purposefully applied to osteopathic medical school, and I am grateful for just having a little knowledge of osteopathic principles. I look forward to learning a whole lot more.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think those students usually go to the carribean. If they had stats to get into DO schools then they could probably get into the big 4 schools.

Probably a lot, but most of these students are not as dedicated to becoming a physician in the first place.

I got on the college/premed train a few years after I graduated from high school. One year early in my pre-med years I went home for the summer and got a job at a local pizza place. A kid I had graduated high school with came in for a pizza one afternoon, I asked him what he was up to and he said he had just graduated from college and was apply to med school for the second time around. He said if he didn't get in he was going to look at going Caribbean. I asked him about applying to DO schools and he said, "No, I just don't really know enough about DO."

I'm thinking to myself, "Who's fault is that?"

A year ago today I didn't know what a DO was, though I had been planning for medical school since I was 6 years old

My story is probably not unique

Reactions: 1 user
The public will know the DO degree in the next 10 years or so (when we are all attendings). We should make up at least 20% of all med students by then.

It's a good time to go to DO school.

Not to be a jerk, but... hey, the boat's kind of getting full. If someone misses the opportunity to apply DO, someone else would be happy to take their place.

I think people are way to obsessed with initials.. I mean really.. I know of people who think that going to some med school in the Caribbean that is not of the big 4 mind you, and doesn't even require the mcat is way more prestigious then going to "DO" school as they put it. Simply because they will have a "MD" after their name.

I'm going to go with ignorance. I didn't have any idea what a DO was until I started applying for schools my junior year of college. I decided to go DO because I saw the osteopathic principles which really fit with my way of thinking about medicine and I saw the GPA/MCAT averages were a lot closer to my stats than MD schools I was looking at.

Last edited: