Curious about BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutastha

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I've always wondered, and now I just can't hold back anymore... I've been reading SDN for some time now, and I guess I have learned to take what I read with a grain of salt. Now with all the interview talk, and the gpa and MCAT results, I want to pose this question to the forum: How much of what you think is posted is true and how much is BS?

Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

Why would people lie? There is no point to it on a forum with unknown people.

i think one should take advice from *any* stranger with a grain of salt. that said, my impression is that people on this board are, overall, very genuine. i know that everything that i've posted is true. this forum is a far cry from the PR board and that is why i continue to read and post here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kutastha: hey that rolls from the back of your mouth off your tongue. Nice name! :D

Last year when I started reading this board (long before I felt insightful enough to post) I too was hesistant to believe the things posted. The main reason was b-cuz of TPR boards, but also because the stats of those who DID post seemed so high.

The reason was that I didn't KNOW any people like them at my school. Through all kinds of activities/classes, I've met a large number of pre-meds and until the end of my Jr. year I only met one that had >31 MCAT. So these were still all 'fictional' characters to me anyway ;)

My conclusion is that these people tend to be more confident in their app than those that did NOT do as well on the MCAT or are a few weeks behind in the app process or for whatever reason feel inadequate relative to the big dogs posting here. So although a majority of these posts are real/not bragging, they do not represent the avg SDN reader, let alone the average applicant. What's everyone else think?

Yeah, I have to say that the personalities as reflected in the posts kinda indicates higher caliber premed students. Bull, my experience is not unlike yours as I don't know too many outstanding applicants. On this board, however, you can find them. It is good to be associated with them as they are very helpful people.

Yes, that includes you Andrew. (your not BSing us are ya?)
:)

If you think about it, how many premeds are anal enough to post on a computer board for premeds?

I post here, so no offense to anyone, but I think this forum is over represented by gunners, just because of what it is, a premed forum.

I agree with usef!

Like two-dawg said, this place is gunner central. I bet there's 250 kids reading this post right now, with 38s, 3.9s, 4 papers, going "hmmm...is he talking about me?" And yes, I am. Most people here are on top of the game, and many are looking to stroke themselves that they're *so* on top of it. As for me, ummm...i'm here for the women, that's it..the women. --Trek

Cool- that last rant was my "senior member post". Time to get my boys Jack Daniels and Ron Bacardi and do a little celebrating :)

Hahaha...
Yes, the women are the only reason I am here too!

Hell...I'm not even applying this year!

Wait a second...I'm not even PRE-MED!!!!

I am actually a 25 year old computer programmer and I fear I may be losing my job soon..so I am looking for a female doc who will be able to support me when the time comes.

Oh yea..everything I have ever posted..it's a lie. Basically, I just have low self esteem and I needed people to say congratulations to me so I could feel happy again. Thanks for the ride folks.

I am off to make more pop-ups for the sites most frequented by everyone on SDN.

I mean..come on!

If you believe everything a giant talking dog says...

then you should really not become a doctor...