curious about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndyZX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
- when do most interviews take place? middle/end of the week?
- how free are you to schedule your interviews?
- is it possible to block together interviews, so you can interview at a couple of places in one trip?

any info appreciated. later.

Members don't see this ad.

i love being on in the middle of the night. i get to be the first poster a ton!

as for your questions:

- usually, schools try to make them on mondays or fridays, because they know you'll have to miss school or work. some schools interview every day, some schools only two days a week or something like that. but if a school has limited interview days, usually one of the days is near a weekend.

- depends on the school. some schools will send you a list of 10 days and ask you to pick one. some will ask you to send them a few days of availablity and give you one of those days. some schools will just give you a day to interview without asking if you're available. if you have a conflict with an interview day, you can always call to reschedule (your rescheduled day might be as much as a couple of months after your originally scheduled day, so if you're like most people who want to interview as early in the interview season as they can, you might just try to work around your conflict).

- again, depends on the school. most schools try to be accomodating about this sort of thing, but some just won't budge. if you know you're going to be interviewed by two nearby schools, you can pretty easily arrange to have them on consecutive days, or something similar, so you only have to make one trip. and if you know you've got an interview from one school and you're still waiting to hear from a nearby school, you could write an email to the admissions office letting them know that you'll be in the area on this certain day, and ask them if they know if they'll be offering you an interview so you could schedule to come at the same time. make sure you say that if they're not ready to consider your application yet, that's fine too. i did that with northwestern, and they sent me an interview invitation two days later. but some schools won't do that. it all depends on how nice you are and how nice the admissions people are.

hope this helped :)

I had interviews on every weekday except for Thursday. Most often was Monday and Friday.

Interview scheduling is generally handled by one person in each adcom office. The scheduler is generally friendly and flexible; his/her goal is to get each interview day filled. Often they will give you a range of dates to choose from.

The actual interview days are fixed, because the school needs several different departments free to talk to you. Your usual interview agenda includes adoffice, finaid, lunch, tour, student qs, interview(s).

In a few cases I took one date but asked the scheduler to keep me in mind for a previous (better) date. I got the earlier date at least once. People reschedule or cancel more often than the adcoms would like, so the scheduler likes to have a backup just in case.

One school I was at has a policy where people who have to travel far are interviewed on Monday and Friday, while locals get Tues and Thurs.

If you are trying to chain interviews together, make sure the scheduler knows. Keep in mind that your dream schedule might not happen.

I've heard some people recommend that you call local schools you're interested in if you will be traveling to interview nearby. I imagine this could speed up review of your application, but it didn't work when I tried it. Still, it's worth a shot.

Most schools have rolling admissions, so the adcom will decide within 2 weeks of your interview. It's important to get your application in early and to respond quickly to interview offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 2 responses have summed everything up.... :laugh:

I think you'll find that most schools a pretty flexible with scheduling, especially if you're coming from out of state and want to group schools together. Just be courteous and you'll be suprised how they may bend the rules a bit!

thanks for the replies! :thumbup: