Curious about my nontraditional résumé. Any advie is welcome!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOldChick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I am a nontraditional student, 35 yo.
I received a BS in Science in 2001 but have a low gpa 2.6. I was a Lab TA for 3 years in college.
In the fall, I will retake 4 sci/ math classes that I made a D or C in but app deadline is Jan. I wanted to apply early.
I worked for 8 years as a research assistant at a top cancer hospital in texas.
I have 4 manuscripts published in high and low impact journals as a result of research on carcinogenesis.
I compounded on a bioterrorism project our lab was working on. (this is what made me fall in love w pharmacy)
My Pcat diagnostic score is 440 before taking Kaplan prep class. I expect it to go up to a 500 at least.
I am volunteering in a pharmacy 10h a week.
2 professors who teach in the college of pharmacy are LOR.
for 3 years, I was a 7th grade science teacher.
I have 10+ years of extensive community volunteering including disadvantaged children and stewardship of environment. Oh and church.
Do you think my gpa will overshadow all other credentials?
Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you checked with the schools if they will still accept the 10+ year old classes that you're not retaking? With the classes being that old you will probably have to retake all your pre-requisities, not just the 4 you did bad in.

Thank you.
Yes, bc of my continued use of my science background my classes are fine. Moreover, I will need to rock the Pcat to prove retention of knowledge. So, hopefully, my Pcat scores will weight heavier than gpa compared to my younger counterpart.
What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes doing very well on the PCAT will help. I would try to get your GPA above a 3.0 if possible. You also want to make sure the schools you apply for don't have a minimum GPA requirement.

You also want to make sure the schools you apply for don't have a minimum GPA requirement.

Yup. A 2.6 is lower than the bare minimum required (regardless of all other attributes) at a number of schools.