Curious about new CUNY PreMed Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matchboxtasha

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been going back and forth for a while re: taking out loans for an expensive post bacc @ NYU or Columbia (I'm located in NYC) or going the DIY approach through CUNY. After seeing that Hunter's official premed post bacc no longer exists, I thought these were my only options, but I recently ran across a new premed post bacc at CUNY that is a Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer intensive, and guarantees spots in the classes / provides a committee letter, MCAT tutoring, and all of that fun stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone here is currently enrolled, as it's in its first year (I believe). Curious as to peoples' plans on when to take the MCAT, as biochem isn't taken until the summer following the ideal time to take it. I'm assuming studying biochem on your own and taking it at the end of the spring semester is the best route. Also curious if it's a small cohort that takes all classes together, or if you take regular undergrad classes, but registration in the classes is reserved.

Also interested in any opinions re: CUNY for premed or other options in the NYC boroughs.

Thank you!!

Best,
Natasha

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have been going back and forth for a while re: taking out loans for an expensive post bacc @ NYU or Columbia (I'm located in NYC) or going the DIY approach through CUNY. After seeing that Hunter's official premed post bacc no longer exists, I thought these were my only options, but I recently ran across a new premed post bacc at CUNY that is a Summer/Fall/Winter/Spring/Summer intensive, and guarantees spots in the classes / provides a committee letter, MCAT tutoring, and all of that fun stuff.

I'm wondering if anyone here is currently enrolled, as it's in its first year (I believe). Curious as to peoples' plans on when to take the MCAT, as biochem isn't taken until the summer following the ideal time to take it. I'm assuming studying biochem on your own and taking it at the end of the spring semester is the best route. Also curious if it's a small cohort that takes all classes together, or if you take regular undergrad classes, but registration in the classes is reserved.

Also interested in any opinions re: CUNY for premed or other options in the NYC boroughs.

Thank you!!

Best,
Natasha

I am not familiar with CUNY’s new premed program but choose the path that saves you the most $$$.
Likely, wherever you go, the material will be the same. The name of the postbacc has no bearing on your application. Just do well wherever you go and score well on the MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone interested, it's through CUNY City College. It's different from the other City College post-bacc program, which is for 2 years and has no guarantee of getting into the pre-med classes.

According to the website:

Main Features of the Program
  • 43-credit program (Medical Option) or 46-credit program (PA Option)
  • completion of the program in 14 months
  • guaranteed seats in every course required by the program
  • small classes capped at 20
  • state-of-the-art science teaching laboratories
  • Individualized advising by dedicated professional advisor
  • Free MCAT preparation course offered on campus
  • Referrals for practical clinical and research internships
Minimum Admission Requirements
  • Prospective applicants must have received an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
  • Prospective applicants must place into Math 20500 (Elements of Calculus). The prereqisite for this course at CCNY is Math 19500 (Precalculus) with a grade of C minimum.
  • Additional requirements specific to the selected option:
  • Premedical Option: 1 year of College English, 1 semester of Introduction/General Psychology, and 1 semester of Introduction to Sociology
  • Pre-PA Option (46 cr.): 1 year of College English

Additional Information
  • This program will start in June 2019.
  • Application deadline is March 15, 2019. Admission decisions will be made by April 1, 2019.
  • All students admitted to the program are expected to receive a grade of B or better in all courses.
Program Cost
  • Tuition & Fees: $12,260
  • Program Fee: $10,000
  • Total Cost: $22,260

Curriculum

Premedical Option: 43 credits - 14 months
CourseCourse No.Summer Session 1Fall semesterWinter SessionSpring SemesterSummer Session 2
Elements of CalculusMath205004
Elements of Calculus & StatisticsMath20900 4
General Chem I w/ labChem103014
General Chem II w/ labChem10401 4
Organic Chem IChem26100 3
Organic Chem I labChem26200 2
Organic Chem IIChem26300 3
Biochemistry IChem32002 3
Biol. Found. I w/ labBio 10100 4
Biol. Found. II w/ labBio 10200 4
General Physics IPhys 20300 4
General Physics IIPhys 20400 4
Total Credits 8123137

It looks interesting but its also a lot more expensive than doing DIY CUNY classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The name of the postbacc has no bearing on your application. Just do well wherever you go and score well on the MCAT
How do you explain the high acceptance rates and linkages of Bryn mar and goucher? Sure they admit people who would likely get in anyway, but also the linkages say the med schools favor those kids.

I had a wonderful experience at CCNY for prereqs and would do this in a heartbeat.

I had a wonderful experience at CCNY for prereqs and would do this in a heartbeat.
Hey can you tell me more about the classes? are they hard? are they manageable?

Kidding aside, I would say both hard and manageable. I mean, they teach everything that's in the textbook. 80% of my profs were great and the remainder were fine, nothing wrong with them.

I would want to really get some answers about guaranteed seats, though. For an extra TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS they'd better be guaranteed.

Reactions: 1 users
I would want to really get some answers about guaranteed seats, though. For an extra TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS they'd better be guaranteed.

did you guys had the option to do all night classes? this is the only way that can work for me :(

I want to say that most, but not all, classes were available at night. It's already going back a little that I was there, though (2009-2012), so the proportion of night classes could have changed for the worse or for the better.

But if you're doing regular CCNY enrollment, not the special extra $10,000 program, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get a place in your desired nighttime section.

When I started, second bachelor's students registered with the seniors, so you had a prayer of getting the class you want. But by the time I left, second degree students registered after the freshmen, but before nondegree students, i.e., no hope of getting anything. This should all be checked with the most current info, however.

Oh wow, I tried Hunter for a semester back on 2010ish, it was... ahem challenging to say the least. The physics professor straight up retorted that she is a tenured professor AND a city employee when someone complained about something. At that time, classes were dirt cheap, 3k for a full course load per semester, Columbia was 1500 a credit (4 credits for class and 5 credits for lab :eek:). There was a cohort of students who tried to provide support for you but in reality you had no class priority and you're essentially on your own constantly refreshing the screen hoping that any of the science classes would open up. I dont think I was ever able to get to talk to the one advisor at the time. Hopefully at 22k you're going to get the support and guidance so that you'll be able to use your energy to do well. The last I checked with instate tuition at stuck at 7k they're probably desperate for ways to get higher paying students. At 14 months though you will probably need to take a gap year to prep for mcat and applications, but if this option was available I would have definitely considered it.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to say that most, but not all, classes were available at night. It's already going back a little that I was there, though (2009-2012), so the proportion of night classes could have changed for the worse or for the better.

But if you're doing regular CCNY enrollment, not the special extra $10,000 program, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get a place in your desired nighttime section.

When I started, second bachelor's students registered with the seniors, so you had a prayer of getting the class you want. But by the time I left, second degree students registered after the freshmen, but before nondegree students, i.e., no hope of getting anything. This should all be checked with the most current info, however.
i am wondering, were you able to manage your classes well by working and attending full time? Did you do well on the classes and got into med school?

I got into med school (University of Cincinnati). My problem was finding a job with a flexible schedule to fit around a class schedule that changed every semester. As I note above, the night section may exist, but there's far from a guarantee that you'll get into it. You have to take what is available. I ended up doing a lot of tutoring and babysitting because I received a high hourly rate and the hours were flexible, and I don't mind saying that I did well. But being a freelancer in NYC is EXTREMELY stressful. I was always thinking about the next month's rent instead of about my classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, important note: I don't know how central your job/apartment is, but if you're willing to travel to other CUNY institutions while remaining primarily a CCNY student, that increases your options. I was just barely able to fit in everything at CCNY, but I had a great experience taking microbiology during the January intersession at Medgar Evers. (EDITOR'S NOTE: FAR FROM UPPER MANHATTAN!) All of their labs were brand spanking new in 2012, so they've got to be pretty new still.

If you're in upper Manhattan (by chance) I would look at Lehman for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I emailed Belinda Smith, the contact person for the program. Figured I'd post her responses/info here for anyone else interested. (NOTE: for the new 1 year CCNY post bacc premedical program)

Q/As:

1. Will there be a program starting summer of 2021? I saw online somewhere that the 2019 start was canceled.
This is correct. We postponed the launch to hopefully start in June 2021. The application deadline will be on or about March 15, 2021.

2. How strict are the minimum admission requirements?
Applications will be reviewed in its entirety and on a holistic basis.

3. How flexible is the set curriculum? Is it possible to substitute these courses with other courses?
Unfortunately, the curriculum is set and structured. Students must take the courses as they are outlined. We are unable to permit students to "cherry pick" courses, and we cannot permit students to substitute courses.

4. Does the program provide the potential to receive a committee recommendation letter?
Absolutely.

We are committed to starting this program next summer. An application should be available at some point this fall term.

Wow, I read this thread just at the right time! But I have been asking Belinda Smith if I could apply for this program as I was never Pre-Med in undergraduate, but just a science major, but decided to be pre-med this past Wednesday after months of consideration. So does anyone know if I could. Like I only took some of the course, listed and do not mind taking them again.

Wow, I read this thread just at the right time! But I have been asking Belinda Smith if I could apply for this program as I was never Pre-Med in undergraduate, but just a science major, but decided to be pre-med this past Wednesday after months of consideration. So does anyone know if I could. Like I only took some of the course, listed and do not mind taking them again.

I remember it says most or none of the courses.
By the way, I wondering if they will put everyone attending this program in the same classes the whole entire 14 months..

I emailed Belinda Smith, the contact person for the program. Figured I'd post her responses/info here for anyone else interested. (NOTE: for the new 1 year CCNY post bacc premedical program)

Q/As:

1. Will there be a program starting summer of 2021? I saw online somewhere that the 2019 start was canceled.
This is correct. We postponed the launch to hopefully start in June 2021. The application deadline will be on or about March 15, 2021.

2. How strict are the minimum admission requirements?
Applications will be reviewed in its entirety and on a holistic basis.

3. How flexible is the set curriculum? Is it possible to substitute these courses with other courses?
Unfortunately, the curriculum is set and structured. Students must take the courses as they are outlined. We are unable to permit students to "cherry pick" courses, and we cannot permit students to substitute courses.

4. Does the program provide the potential to receive a committee recommendation letter?
Absolutely.

We are committed to starting this program next summer. An application should be available at some point this fall term.
WHAT!! she just said this fall??? last time she told me application will be open this on March.. damn this is confusing

I remember it says most or none of the courses.
By the way, I wondering if they will put everyone attending this program in the same classes the whole entire 14 months..

I asked her about this as well. Here's her response:

1. I noticed the classes sizes are guaranteed and capped at 20. Does this mean the classes will only be postbacc students/separate from undergrad?"

YES, students in the accelerated track are in their own sections with other accelerated post-bac students.

WHAT!! she just said this fall??? last time she told me application will be open this on March.. damn this is confusing

It's possible she meant the application deadline is in March? Online, even though it's not updated, said March 15, 2019 was application deadline. I asked her these questions ~Aug 1-9th 2020.

@singaBird18 @drhong @LakeOntario8 any update on this program? Will it be starting next summer? Process of application etc.?

Also, doesn't the course load seem intense? Especially for people with little to no science background. A start with a summer of calculus and chem scares me a bit.

@aceegreene Due to budget constraints, the accelerated post-bac certificate program for pre-med and Pre-PA has been placed on an indefinite hold. I received the email from the director (Belinda Smith) back in September. At that time, she didn't have a confirmed date as to when it will be launched. I haven't really checked in for any updates since though...so don't know what's going on.

Also, I think that's typical for post-bacc premedical programs....I'm not sure how else you would start the program other than a basic/general chemistry/biology course.

@aceegreene Due to budget constraints, the accelerated post-bac certificate program for pre-med and Pre-PA has been placed on an indefinite hold. I received the email from the director (Belinda Smith) back in September. At that time, she didn't have a confirmed date as to when it will be launched. I haven't really checked in for any updates since though...so don't know what's going on.

Also, I think that's typical for post-bacc premedical programs....I'm not sure how else you would start the program other than a basic/general chemistry/biology course.

Thanks for your response! I also emailed Belinda Smith and got the same response. That program looked like a solid option.

Hmm, I guess I haven’t looked at the ones that start with two summer courses then. Actually calculus scares me more than Chem.

Thanks for your response! I also emailed Belinda Smith and got the same response. That program looked like a solid option.

Hmm, I guess I haven’t looked at the ones that start with two summer courses then. Actually calculus scares me more than Chem.
Yeah unfortunately that was my top option bc I wanted to stay in NYC and the tuition wasn't too bad compared to the other nyc programs.

If you're worried about calculus you could always find courses and material online to prep. Easier to do online since it doesn't need a lab component.

I know I'm a massive CUNY booster, but I would totally look into taking classes for a DIY postbac even if the fancy new program does not exist. Just be prepared for trouble registering. It's worth it, IMHO. Make sure you go second degree instead of nondegree, or else you'll be even more f'ed in registration matters.

@samc Do you think it's reasonably possible to finish all the required class in 12 to 14 months or so through second degree? Assuming you're working a flexible part-time job. One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards post-bacc programs is the ability to finish all your classes fairly quickly in a year.

For anyone interested, it's through CUNY City College. It's different from the other City College post-bacc program, which is for 2 years and has no guarantee of getting into the pre-med classes.

According to the website:

Main Features of the Program
  • 43-credit program (Medical Option) or 46-credit program (PA Option)
  • completion of the program in 14 months
  • guaranteed seats in every course required by the program
  • small classes capped at 20
  • state-of-the-art science teaching laboratories
  • Individualized advising by dedicated professional advisor
  • Free MCAT preparation course offered on campus
  • Referrals for practical clinical and research internships
Minimum Admission Requirements
  • Prospective applicants must have received an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
  • Prospective applicants must place into Math 20500 (Elements of Calculus). The prereqisite for this course at CCNY is Math 19500 (Precalculus) with a grade of C minimum.
  • Additional requirements specific to the selected option:
  • Premedical Option: 1 year of College English, 1 semester of Introduction/General Psychology, and 1 semester of Introduction to Sociology
  • Pre-PA Option (46 cr.): 1 year of College English

Additional Information
  • This program will start in June 2019.
  • Application deadline is March 15, 2019. Admission decisions will be made by April 1, 2019.
  • All students admitted to the program are expected to receive a grade of B or better in all courses.
Program Cost
  • Tuition & Fees: $12,260
  • Program Fee: $10,000
  • Total Cost: $22,260

Curriculum

Premedical Option: 43 credits - 14 months
CourseCourse No.Summer Session 1Fall semesterWinter SessionSpring SemesterSummer Session 2
Elements of CalculusMath205004
Elements of Calculus & StatisticsMath209004
General Chem I w/ labChem103014
General Chem II w/ labChem104014
Organic Chem IChem261003
Organic Chem I labChem262002
Organic Chem IIChem263003
Biochemistry IChem320023
Biol. Found. I w/ labBio 101004
Biol. Found. II w/ labBio 102004
General Physics IPhys 203004
General Physics IIPhys 204004
Total Credits8123137

It looks interesting but its also a lot more expensive than doing DIY CUNY classes.
I have been in touch with Belinda Smith, who is in charge of this program. They have placed the accelerated version of their post-bacc on indefinite hold because of budget constraints. The only option now is the two-year program.

@samc Do you think it's reasonably possible to finish all the required class in 12 to 14 months or so through second degree? Assuming you're working a flexible part-time job. One of the main reasons I'm leaning towards post-bacc programs is the ability to finish all your classes fairly quickly in a year.

No. The reason is registration. There is no way, at CCNY, you will be able to get into all the classes you need in 12 to 14 months. Two years is, in fact, highly ambitious. When I started in 2009, second degree students registered with the seniors, so you had to be aggressive, but everything worked out in the end. Now, AFAIK, they register after the freshmen (changed in ~2012, my last year of study, when I was already done with the basics). If I were starting in the CUNY system right now, I would go for a more obscure four-year campus (Lehman? Medgar Evers? York?) for the basics, so that I could actually get into classes, and then take some upper level classes specifically at CCNY, since they have a strong division of science and real research going on.

But I would call or email the registrar to make double-sure about the current registration priority for second degree undergraduate students. The website is nonspecific.

I guess the real question is if non-New York med school adcoms care about the difference in rigor between CCNY/Hunter and the other four-year schools. I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a postbacc at CCNY starting in around 2014, and I never had a problem not getting into classes I wanted. Registration was never easy perse, but I got what I needed in the semester I needed.

I was able to take classes at night mostly while working full time. Despite this, I did do some summer courses that were only available to take in the morning. Luckily, my work was flexible.

It's interesting that this new program is on hold due to budget constraints when the cost is around $10k more than I what I paid for my DIY postbacc. Perhaps since the courses are supposed to be only for the people in this new program, there wasn't enough early interest to sustain it until they built up enrollment numbers.

the only two perks that I see with CCNY are:
- half discount for Kaplan courses (Kaplan was a CCNY grad)
- It's the only school in NYC alongside Columbia that hosts the annual medical school fair

Otherwise, honestly, I'd just do a post-bacc close at a CUNY where you live or work

I did a postbacc at CCNY starting in around 2014, and I never had a problem not getting into classes I wanted. Registration was never easy perse, but I got what I needed in the semester I needed.

I was able to take classes at night mostly while working full time. Despite this, I did do some summer courses that were only available to take in the morning. Luckily, my work was flexible.

It's interesting that this new program is on hold due to budget constraints when the cost is around $10k more than I what I paid for my DIY postbacc. Perhaps since the courses are supposed to be only for the people in this new program, there wasn't enough early interest to sustain it until they built up enrollment numbers.
Considering I quit my job and can do any times for classes , do u think I’ll be able to get in all the pre requisites for medical school within 12 to 14 months or 16 mayb

I don't know if the requirements for med school have changed, but I needed Physics 1 & 2, Bio 1 & 2, Chem 1 & 2, Orgo 1 & 2, Biochem 1, Calc 1, Psychology, Sociology, and an English class. It took me three years b/c I was working full time and usually took just 2 classes each semester (including summer sessions).

I suppose you could finish it in 12 months (Fall semester, Spring semester, and Summer session) if you needed the same number of classes by taking 4 classes for 2 semesters and 5 classes 1 semester, but I think that'd be pretty difficult because scheduling would have to work out perfectly (not to mention being difficult academically). Sixteen months would probably be more reasonable (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall).

Take this all with a grain of salt though. I did my postbacc many years ago and I don't have any idea about if it's easier or harder to get the classes you really want nowadays.

I don't know if the requirements for med school have changed, but I needed Physics 1 & 2, Bio 1 & 2, Chem 1 & 2, Orgo 1 & 2, Biochem 1, Calc 1, Psychology, Sociology, and an English class. It took me three years b/c I was working full time and usually took just 2 classes each semester (including summer sessions).

I suppose you could finish it in 12 months (Fall semester, Spring semester, and Summer session) if you needed the same number of classes by taking 4 classes for 2 semesters and 5 classes 1 semester, but I think that'd be pretty difficult because scheduling would have to work out perfectly (not to mention being difficult academically). Sixteen months would probably be more reasonable (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall).

Take this all with a grain of salt though. I did my postbacc many years ago and I don't have any idea about if it's easier or harder to get the classes you really want nowadays.
I did my Bachelors in Engg( From India). But Should be able to transfer Phy 1 , Chem 1, English , Psychology , Calculus 1 and 2.
Wont be re taking any Maths or Physics courses or English or such.
Just need Biochem , Org chem, Gen chem, Biology 1 and 2.

Wanted to know how easy it is getting i to Medical school from state colleges.
Another issue which I had was that is ut easy for Non-degree students to enroll in classes( as I have heard that they get the last priority) * * *

Please let me know that

I am considering going to CCNY .
Other options are Hunter and Brooklyn college or John Jay.

Is it easy to enroll for classes is my only concern for now??
when you did Post Bacc how was your experience overall?
Did they provide any support with MCAT?

Is it easy to get into Medical school if you have hood GPA and MCAT irrespective of the college name

I am considering going to CCNY .
Other options are Hunter and Brooklyn college or John Jay.

Is it easy to enroll for classes is my only concern for now??
when you did Post Bacc how was your experience overall?
Did they provide any support with MCAT?

Is it easy to get into Medical school if you have hood GPA and MCAT irrespective of the college name
I took courses at various CUNY schools and I'd say it was just fine. No major issues really. I was non-degree so I just enrolled myself. I opted not to do any formal program.

Strong numbers are needed. Name has some influence but it's not as strong your metrics.

That said, given what I just read about your background, see what medical schools require citizenship/residency if in the case you don't have it and look at whether an American bachelor degree or large amount of credits from a school in the country is needed.

So for CCNY, you should hit up their pre-med office as well as their international student advising center.