Curious about radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocist1121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN pre med here interested in the field of radiology.

I'm eager to hear from radiologists about their chosen field.

Can you briefly describe a typical day of a radiologist? Stress level?
Workload? Hours?

I have a deep interest in anatomy and feel like radiology would be a good fit. I'm low key and a loner if you will. I have no problem interacting with people but I have an introverted personality in the sense that I need my space from time to time.

I know I should wait till med school because my mind can easily sway with expose but I'm sure curious about radiology in particular.

Members don't see this ad.

Before the "you shouldnt worry about your specialty before med school" trolls appear, Rads is pretty average in terms of hours per week. Depends on your job, but it's probably 8-5. IR works longer hours and has call. Workload depends on your work environment, most Rads work in private practice and they work constantly, reading study after study. Unlike other specialties, your brain is at 100% for 100% of your time at work. Stress level is lower than most specialities, as Rads tend to be pretty laid back.

It's ok to be introverted, but Rads isn't all about reading under a dark rock all day. There is still a considerable patient interaction and most importantly a lot of social interaction between your colleagues.

Reactions: 1 users
Before the "you shouldnt worry about your specialty before med school" trolls appear, Rads is pretty average in terms of hours per week. Depends on your job, but it's probably 8-5. IR works longer hours and has call. Workload depends on your work environment, most Rads work in private practice and they work constantly, reading study after study. Unlike other specialties, your brain is at 100% for 100% of your time at work. Stress level is lower than most specialities, as Rads tend to be pretty laid back.

It's ok to be introverted, but Rads isn't all about reading under a dark rock all day. There is still a considerable patient interaction and most importantly a lot of social interaction between your colleagues.

Very wrong. It is not an 8-5 job anymore unless you are a senior partner who owns the whole business or you are in a big university setting that fellows and residents cover after hours. But even then, many academic centers are going towards 7/24 attending coverage.

Good luck with finding an 8-5 job once you are done.

If you call me a troll, I don't care. But I don't understand how come someone who has not had even anatomy course and has not not started medical school yet, can be interested in one field or another. Most of these interests are based on wrong reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I learned about radiology before med school, and I stuck with it during the entirety of med school.

@OP, too many ppl on sdn are cynics, take everything with a grain of salt, even my post

I learned about radiology before med school, and I stuck with it during the entirety of med school.

@OP, too many ppl on sdn are cynics, take everything with a grain of salt, even my post

You learned it wrong esp the hours.

Yeah, 8-5 jobs have a catch - like they're an employed position (get dumped on, no job security) or maybe a VA job (crappy bureaucracy, lower salary) that uses after-hours telerad coverage. Modern day radiology is a 24/7/365 specialty, so if you want the $$$, practice influence, and job security that comes with being a partner, then you need to be willing to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

I appreciate the responses, thank you.

@shark2000
I've taken anatomy class at the university, although it's nowhere near anatomy taught at med school I'm sure.

@colbgw02
Surely its not all doom and gloom? I already work nights weekends and holidays, no change there.

No it is definitely not all doom and gloom, it is a very rewarding job and in a lot of cases nails the diagnosis to properly guide patient care. Radiology is just in a time of transition (like all of medicine).

No it is definitely not all doom and gloom, it is a very rewarding job and in a lot of cases nails the diagnosis to properly guide patient care. Radiology is just in a time of transition (like all of medicine).

Nobody talked about doom and gloom. Going towards 24/7 is not doom and gloom. It is a reality that is not going to change.

Nobody talked about doom and gloom. Going towards 24/7 is not doom and gloom. It is a reality that is not going to change.

Amen, brother...only go into this field if you are truly passionate about cranking out RVU's from ED pan-scans overnights in the boonies after doing 6-7 years of training beyond medical school...it's really simple mathematics, current supply>>>>demand and leadership has recently confirmed that this will not be changing...In private practice when one retires it is not uncommon for a group not to hire (given never ending reimbursement cuts), therefore the demand pool stagnates/grows...stress level is high (never-ending phone calls from techs/referrers etc totally disrupts productivity), ED coverage is particularly spirit-crushing for some strange reason...stick with path/psych or better yet, become an actor, singer, or professional athlete, much more rewarding professions with better lifestyle

If you're an introvert, I'd say pick pathology since I interact with at most one other person on a daily basis ( I consider this a big negative, but YMMV). However, the job market is just in the crapper and I could not recommend it to you in good faith. However, if you're imaging caliber, you'd probably be able to snag a residency position at a major player, since path caliber is near the bottom with family and psych, no offence meant.

Amen, brother...only go into this field if you are truly passionate about cranking out RVU's from ED pan-scans overnights in the boonies after doing 6-7 years of training beyond medical school...it's really simple mathematics, current supply>>>>demand and leadership has recently confirmed that this will not be changing...In private practice when one retires it is not uncommon for a group not to hire (given never ending reimbursement cuts), therefore the demand pool stagnates/grows...stress level is high (never-ending phone calls from techs/referrers etc totally disrupts productivity), ED coverage is particularly spirit-crushing for some strange reason...stick with path/psych or better yet, become an actor, singer, or professional athlete, much more rewarding professions with better lifestyle

I don't know about your level of training. I am an attending and partner in pp in a very competitive market in west coast and I don't agree with many of your points. My stress level is high but never as high as many other jobs. I like my ED shifts and while I agree that my life-style is not as good as path or psych, it is decent.

If you are willing to work overnight you can find a job in almost any city so don't talk about boonies and night together. Practices in the boonies don't have the volume to support one overnight person. Places that can support an overnight person are in a midsize or large size city. Where do all these cases come from if you practice in the boonies? Busy overnight ED is equal to a large city.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about your level of training. I am an attending and partner in pp in a very competitive market in west coast and I don't agree with many of your points. My stress level is high but never as high as many other jobs. I like my ED shifts and while I agree that my life-style is not as good as path or psych, it is decent.

If you are willing to work overnight you can find a job in almost any city so don't talk about boonies and night together. Practices in the boonies don't have the volume to support one overnight person. Places that can support an overnight person are in a midsize or large size city. Where do all these cases come from if you practice in the boonies? Busy overnight ED is equal to a large city.
So you have no chance of finding a decent job in a big city unless you're willing to work nights most of the time? What a prospect after 6 years of residency...

No, you have to be willing to work nights some time. The idea of radiology as some super-cush 9-5 gig with no nights or weekends is antiquated and nobody should think they will be riding the gravy train after fellowship.

You still have to work less-than-desirable shifts in the vast majority of medical specialties. If you enjoy what you do and find it intellectually engaging, who cares? I don't understand this sentiment from medical students that they are owed the good life after "6 years of residency". If you can't fathom working overnight some of the time, radiology is not for you nor are you for radiology.

Nights are the best anyway, play your favorite music, way less bull**** phone calls or questions, mostly just reading.

Reactions: 3 users
Nights are the best anyway, play your favorite music, way less bull**** phone calls or questions, mostly just reading.
I enjoy nights as well, less commotion more peace. How many images do you read in any given hour?

We tossed around the idea of having a permanent night float team that I considered trying to get in on. There's something to be said for avoiding rush hour, getting the choice parking spots, and enjoying the relative peace and quiet of the hospital at night (no horrible Muzak, no overhead announcements, etc.). Plus, no BS admin stuff goes on because all those clowns are sound asleep. It ultimately didn't happen, and it's probably for the best, because I normally have a change of heart mid-week when I'm sleepwalking to the cafeteria.

So you have no chance of finding a decent job in a big city unless you're willing to work nights most of the time? What a prospect after 6 years of residency...

I didn't mean that. I meant that if you are willing to work night shifts you can find a job almost everywhere with little difficulty. Many night jobs are one week on and one week off and pay partner level salary. Some are one week on and 2 weeks off and pay good.

Right now, if you do IR or mammo you can find a job in a big city. For MSK, most can find a job in a big city. Neuro and body have much harder time finding a day-time job in big cities. Still many neuro and body people find jobs within 1-2 hours of big cities.

The market is bad. But not what people tell you. Radiology is dependent on volume. In the boonies with no trauma and limited other service, the volumes does not exist. If a place does not have an oncologist, they also won't have PET scanner. The same for trauma. So the statement that most people work in the boonies is wrong. SImply the volume does not exist.

Was an attending at churn/burn permanent pp in the northeast, now on my 2nd fellowship...you may have been fortunate to land a good job with an equitable group but I would say that this is increasingly difficult to do...not only are we pumping out too many new grads but they are now only BE not BC, if you do not think that this field is in bad shape then we will simply have to disagree...boonies is a relative term, I worked in a 200-bed hospital in what I considered to be the boonies (about 3 hours from a large city) and the ER there was extremely busy, private practice community practitioners order a lot of imaging...ED overnights in a large city usually means 7 on/7 off, not a longterm sustainable deal for most

No, you have to be willing to work nights some time. The idea of radiology as some super-cush 9-5 gig with no nights or weekends is antiquated and nobody should think they will be riding the gravy train after fellowship.

You still have to work less-than-desirable shifts in the vast majority of medical specialties. If you enjoy what you do and find it intellectually engaging, who cares? I don't understand this sentiment from medical students that they are owed the good life after "6 years of residency". If you can't fathom working overnight some of the time, radiology is not for you nor are you for radiology.

So I'm curious, when you guys are talking about working overnight, does that mean you work 9-5 pm, then work an overnight shift, and then the next day keep going again from 9-5pm? Or how do they transition you from a day shift to a night shift?

Was an attending at churn/burn permanent pp in the northeast, now on my 2nd fellowship...you may have been fortunate to land a good job with an equitable group but I would say that this is increasingly difficult to do...not only are we pumping out too many new grads but they are now only BE not BC, if you do not think that this field is in bad shape then we will simply have to disagree...boonies is a relative term, I worked in a 200-bed hospital in what I considered to be the boonies (about 3 hours from a large city) and the ER there was extremely busy, private practice community practitioners order a lot of imaging...ED overnights in a large city usually means 7 on/7 off, not a longterm sustainable deal for most

First I hope you can find a good job in the location that you find.

I agree with you that the term boonies is a relative term, however a place that has such a busy ED should be a decent size city. I have come across some radiologists who live in the boonies. Simply put, the volume is not there and almost all use telerad. Their daily work flow is (much) slower, the salaries are higher and the job security is there.

I may have been lucky and our definition of boonies may be different.

So I'm curious, when you guys are talking about working overnight, does that mean you work 9-5 pm, then work an overnight shift, and then the next day keep going again from 9-5pm? Or how do they transition you from a day shift to a night shift?

I know of a few groups that use a traditional call schedule, meaning that you work a full day and then work overnight, but I don't know of any that also expect you to work the next day, much less a full day. I don't know if this is relevant, but these are very large groups, so maybe the call is infrequent enough that such a model is sustainable?

Other groups, to include my own practice, uses a nightfloat system with weekend call. For example, f I'm the nightfloat guy, I go home at the normal time on Friday, but don't go back until Monday evening, eventually finishing my week on the following Saturday morning. I also have to take weekend call, split into day and night shifts.

I know of a few groups that use a traditional call schedule, meaning that you work a full day and then work overnight, but I don't know of any that also expect you to work the next day, much less a full day. I don't know if this is relevant, but these are very large groups, so maybe the call is infrequent enough that such a model is sustainable?

Other groups, to include my own practice, uses a nightfloat system with weekend call. For example, f I'm the nightfloat guy, I go home at the normal time on Friday, but don't go back until Monday evening, eventually finishing my week on the following Saturday morning. I also have to take weekend call, split into day and night shifts.
How often is night float and weekend call?

Depends entirely on the size of the group and how many are in the call pool. Personally, I cover 4-5 weeks and 5-6 weekends a year.

Heh, I was expecting you to say something like 3 months of night float and call every other weekend.

Depends entirely on the size of the group and how many are in the call pool. Personally, I cover 4-5 weeks and 5-6 weekends a year.

This is interesting. How many hours a week would you say you work (including call and night float)?

This is interesting. How many hours a week would you say you work (including call and night float)?

My "normal" day is 9 hours, which includes a working lunch, so 45 hours. If I'm on call that weekend, it adds another 16 hours. For the past couple of years, I've been doing some work on the side as well, which tacks on between 10-15 hours per week, but hopefully I'll be stopping that soon.

ETA: I should also say that my vacation is considerably less than most other radiologists.

Last edited:
The standard night job in my city amongst multiple groups is 1 week on 2 weeks off. These tend to favor ER or Neuro fellowship trained people. They are becoming popular choices among those who desire maximal off time.

At my place, people work 4 weekends per year, 2 weeks of nights, and get 12 weeks of vacation. Pretty reasonable if you ask me.

That's awesome. I'm interested in radiology/IR. The current talk about the job market makes me wary but it's going to be nearly a decade before i'd be looking for a position so there's no point in worrying about it now.

The market will become better. I have posted somewhere on this forum a few months ago about IR fellows at USC. I think 10 out of 12 of the ended up getting a job in South California. The other 2 also go jobs in nearby states and we don't know whether they chose to leave the state or ....

I personally agree that the market is tight, but it is not even close to what people say.

Night work depends on your group. Some groups have their own nighthawk. Some not. If a group has 40 radiologists obviously the call is different that a group of 10 radiologists.

You have to expect to work weekends, evenings and some nights in your career. The days don't end at 5 PM. Not uncommon to work late even if you are not in evening shift. Night schedule is generally better because it is a shift work and you can do it in week blocks.

The market will become better. I have posted somewhere on this forum a few months ago about IR fellows at USC. I think 10 out of 12 of the ended up getting a job in South California. The other 2 also go jobs in nearby states and we don't know whether they chose to leave the state or ....

I personally agree that the market is tight, but it is not even close to what people say.

Night work depends on your group. Some groups have their own nighthawk. Some not. If a group has 40 radiologists obviously the call is different that a group of 10 radiologists.

You have to expect to work weekends, evenings and some nights in your career. The days don't end at 5 PM. Not uncommon to work late even if you are not in evening shift. Night schedule is generally better because it is a shift work and you can do it in week blocks.

That's good to hear. A lot of these market issues must be somewhat regional too, right?
Is night call generally a little less hectic?

Am I wrong to think that it won't get better?

What reasons give you hope that the job market will get better?

I often hear "a lot old radiologists will retire soon" and the only reason they stuck around was because of the bad economy in 2008 when their retirement portfolio took a hit. But can't you say that about every other field too and those fields aren't doing as bad as rads or path even now?

Rad residency positions has never been as high as it has been right now and there is absolutely NO indication that academics are willing to cut it down.
Refer here: http://www.acr.org/~/media/ACR/Docu...ractice/APPA/The Crisis in Academic Radiology
Back in 2006 they were bitching about how they needed more residents to help staff the academic practices and how they argued that pp radiologists should be sensitive to the academic crisis at the time.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the advent of PACS it wouldn't surprise me if rads become more corporate like path in terms of take overs and their employee model. We might not even see the worse of the job market yet.

IR is different (at least from what I read) bc it's less of a commodity because the physician actually has to physically be in the hospital.

Am I wrong to think that it won't get better?

What reasons give you hope that the job market will get better?

I often hear "a lot old radiologists will retire soon" and the only reason they stuck around was because of the bad economy in 2008 when their retirement portfolio took a hit. But can't you say that about every other field too and those fields aren't doing as bad as rads or path even now?

Rad residency positions has never been as high as it has been right now and there is absolutely NO indication that academics are willing to cut it down.
Refer here: http://www.acr.org/~/media/ACR/Documents/PDF/Membership/Legal Business/Group Practice/APPA/The Crisis in Academic Radiology
Back in 2006 they were bitching about how they needed more residents to help staff the academic practices and how they argued that pp radiologists should be sensitive to the academic crisis at the time.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with the advent of PACS it wouldn't surprise me if rads become more corporate like path in terms of take overs and their employee model. We might not even see the worse of the job market yet.

IR is different (at least from what I read) bc it's less of a commodity because the physician actually has to physically be in the hospital.

You can not say the same about other field because your 76 year old trauma surgeon can not or is not willing to take a night shift. But a 76 year old radiologist or pathologist can easily work.

PACS has been out there for more than a decade and we have passed that stage. In fact, the trend is going the other way. Teleradiology business is drying up and more and more groups are taking back their own nights.

If you feel that bad about radiology, go into another field. I personally believe that the market is not as bad as what people say since I have seen many recent graduates.

Anyway, it seems that you are a medical student. I appreciate your curiosity about different fields and the time that you put into learning about radiology. However, in your last 30 or more posts you have always talked about how bad radiology is. My impression is that you already have made up your mind and you already decided that this is not the right field to go into. I don't see what is the point of repeating and asking again and again. You seem very stressed and very pessimistic about radiology. Go to another field dude.

You can not say the same about other field because your 76 year old trauma surgeon can not or is not willing to take a night shift. But a 76 year old radiologist or pathologist can easily work.

PACS has been out there for more than a decade and we have passed that stage. In fact, the trend is going the other way. Teleradiology business is drying up and more and more groups are taking back their own nights.

If you feel that bad about radiology, go into another field. I personally believe that the market is not as bad as what people say since I have seen many recent graduates.

Anyway, it seems that you are a medical student. I appreciate your curiosity about different fields and the time that you put into learning about radiology. However, in your last 30 or more posts you have always talked about how bad radiology is. My impression is that you already have made up your mind and you already decided that this is not the right field to go into. I don't see what is the point of repeating and asking again and again. You seem very stressed and very pessimistic about radiology. Go to another field dude.
Nah I'm still considering radiology. I just want to make an informed decision. If you think I'm being too anal to dedicate more than half a decade of training along with debt up the wahoo then I apologize.

Nah I'm still considering radiology. I just want to make an informed decision. If you think I'm being too anal to dedicate more than half a decade of training along with debt up the wahoo then I apologize.

You will make a better informed decision by meeting some rad attendings at your school and asking your questions about job outlook, typical schedule, etc. Forums are great but meetings with attendings will yield more info.

Job market is improving but it is difficult to make long term predictions (bundled payments, ACOs etc). I do think that clinical fields overall have more stability...you should pick a field where your starting income as an attending is equal or greater than your overall debt

USC posts their post-fellowship placement for all of their fellowships online.

Here's the list for Neurorads: http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...Program/Neuroradiology_Fellow_Placements.aspx
Body: http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade.../Advanced_Body_Imaging/Fellow_Placements.aspx
MSK: http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...sculoskeletal_Radiology/Fellow_Placement.aspx

These seem decent to me...

Then there's Nucs...*shudders*
http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...e_Residency_Fellowship/Fellow_Placements.aspx

Like Shark said, I also recommend that you choose a different field. If you're having such strong doubts about radiology right now, your satisfaction with the field will not get any better when you start residency.
All the attendings complain about how radiology has changed and the senior residents describe how recent grads are having difficulty finding jobs, are unemployed for many months, and if they do find a job, they have to read 50% mammo.
Go into radiology if you truly love reading images all day and want to learn radiology, because once you start residency, you will have to study a lot and learn physics, it won't be easy if you're not motivated. If you can tolerate going into IM, PM&R, or Psych, I would just pursue one of those fields. They have much better job markets currently and its doesn't require as much studying.

Like Shark said, I also recommend that you choose a different field. If you're having such strong doubts about radiology right now, your satisfaction with the field will not get any better when you start residency.
All the attendings complain about how radiology has changed and the senior residents describe how recent grads are having difficulty finding jobs, are unemployed for many months, and if they do find a job, they have to read 50% mammo.
Go into radiology if you truly love reading images all day and want to learn radiology, because once you start residency, you will have to study a lot and learn physics, it won't be easy if you're not motivated. If you can tolerate going into IM, PM&R, or Psych, I would just pursue one of those fields. They have much better job markets currently and its doesn't require as much studying.
Do you regret?

+1

Current and future job market/prospects are uncertain with ongoing over-supply of trainees, only go into rads if you are truly passionate about image interpretation...if you will be happy in any other field then pursue it (same advice that is given to aspiring actors/artists)

Why does nucs suck so much?

It's hard to tell from that website how many of those nucs graduates are also radiologists. Apart from a subspecialty of radiology, nuclear medicine can be completed both as an independent residency and as a fellowship after clinical specialties like IM, pediatrics, etc. A non-radiologist NM physician is pretty much useless outside of academia.

It's hard to tell from that website how many of those nucs graduates are also radiologists. Apart from a subspecialty of radiology, nuclear medicine can be completed both as an independent residency and as a fellowship after clinical specialties like IM, pediatrics, etc. A non-radiologist NM physician is pretty much useless outside of academia.

Agree. I think most of them are Nucs only residents. Even when the market was good, they had very limited job opportunities. In private practice almost all NM is done by radiologists. In academics, it is a different world and is very research driven. It seems that a small number of NM residents with solid research background join academics and the rest of them either can't find a job or do another residency esp radiology.