Curious about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyingillini

Self Proclaimed Ninja
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you premeds, how many of you are interested in doing research with only an MD after you graduate from med school? I am just curious because I have heard that getting a MD is a solid way of getting into research, although it does not make sense at all to me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to doing pure research why bother with the MD? A PhD program is free, easier program to get into, and you learn more about the actual research process. Though I'm sure MD's can get into research as well of that's what they really wanted.

Originally posted by flyingillini
... I have heard that getting a MD is a solid way of getting into research, although it does not make sense at all to me.

Listen to your instincts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work in a Research lab and we have 2 MD's who work as post-docs in the lab. However, both also see patients. One of the MD's is an infectious disease Pediatrician Attending Physician who spends about 50% of her time seeing patients and 50% in the lab. She studies Mycobacterium tuburculosis (and its Phospholipases) while she is in the lab which I guess makes sense since she treats several MDR TB cases in the hospital. The other is a current Internal Medicine Resident who I believe wants to do a fellowship in infectious diseases. She studies Pseudomonas aeruginosa (and its phospholipases) effects on epithelial cells of the lung (which again makes sense since she treats a lot of CF patients who are infected with Pseudomonas). However, if you only want to do bench research it would make more sense to do a PhD. However, if you would like to do a little bench research and take care of patients it is possible with just an MD (although an MD/PhD wouldn't hurt although neither of them have a PhD).

An MD is a good way to get into clinical research - some physicians that practice full time have a lot of publications. An MD/PhD gives a researcher (clinical or bench) a lot of credibility, so it's easy to get research published in a better journal.

I think an MD gives one great versatility - there are so many combinations of what you can do. A microbiologist MD/PhD I worked for does research full time 8 months a year and sees patients for the rest of the year. Some do research and see patients simultaneously. I also know an MD who does bench research full time.

I'm interested in doing research but I definitely want to see patients in whatever field I end up in. I hope it makes a little more sense to you now.

Basic science research sux!

I have been advised by several established researchers (both MDs and PhDs) to get an MD instead of a PhD, even if I ultimately want to just do research. One reason they said is because research is very competitive now and some PhDs have to do two postdocs before they're able to get a faculty position. The advantage of having an MD is that there are special programs out there (usually after your residency, I think) that are designed to get MDs into the research arena. So it seems to be less competitive for MDs to get into research and become faculty.

nooges, that's a very interesting comment.

I've heard that if you are sure you want to do only research your best option is to get the PhD...

however if you ever feel the need to do clinical then obviously getting the MD would make sense...

Why not get both? :p

I've heard from several MD/PhD about the dual degree. A lot of them discourage others from persuing this degree because they say that you can easily do research with an MD and get paid more for it then you would as a PhD.

Another beautiful thing about being an MD involved in both patient care and research is that you get two sources of income and you don't have to waste all your time writing grant proposals.

How does a MD get paid more for research?

I originally was interested in the whole MD/PhD thing, but I got turned off by the ideal graduate. At all of the interview weekends, I felt like the only one who wanted to see patients more than an afternoon a week. I figure I can get into clinical or translational research later on if I want. For someone with an MD, there is always an opportunity to get research training down the road through fellowships or whatever. Overall, here's to clinical practice...

Originally posted by hakksar
One of the MD's is an infectious disease Pediatrician Attending Physician who spends about 50% of her time seeing patients and 50% in the lab. She studies Mycobacterium tuburculosis (and its Phospholipases) while she is in the lab which I guess makes sense since she treats several MDR TB cases in the hospital. The other is a current Internal Medicine Resident who I believe wants to do a fellowship in infectious diseases. She studies Pseudomonas aeruginosa (and its phospholipases) effects on epithelial cells of the lung (which again makes sense since she treats a lot of CF patients who are infected with Pseudomonas).

Wow, you're going to be starting med school in the fall and you already understand MDR TB and the relationship between CF and Pseudomonas? Very impressive. :thumbup:

Originally posted by flyingillini
How does a MD get paid more for research?

I don't know why that would be the case. It doesn't make sense to me either but I heard this from reliable sources so I believe it. I assume that the worst MD is not going to get paid more than the best PhD but an MD will get paid more than a PhD on the same level as the MD

In all honesty, it's probably because the research MD's end up doing is largely clinical and therefore, as a result, marketable.

Originally posted by frick
In all honesty, it's probably because the research MD's end up doing is largely clinical and therefore, as a result, marketable.

That makes sense, good call.

Sorry to post here, but I PMed you. Check your messages!