Please don’t think I’m trying to excuse myself. I feel terrible. Here are the details…They were primary cells that I was culturing and yes, the PI showed me 2 times what the protocol was. So, I did “know” what I was doing. However, I hadn’t done the entire protocol on my own. When it was my turn, I tightened the caps on the flasks too tight and all the cells died. I panicked because I was already scared of this PI but also because I had messed up. Instead of completing the protocol, I said that I couldn’t finish because I had class. Which I did, but probably should have skipped class and tried to find my PI to tell her. Instead, I emailed to let her know what was happening and the cells didn’t get plated in the morning and it was too late.
The issue was they were dead in the first place because I closed the flask caps too tight and I was too afraid the tell her and it kept building because she thought I didn’t care about the assay, when in fact I do. I did beg her forgiveness and for all the other work I did in the lab, I believe I did a decent job. Know I feel like I’m f**ked and all my hard work of getting good grades and trying to build relationships with professors down the drain because she hates me and the whole school will think I’m a *****.
I understand that I messed up, but I told her I would work really hard to do better, but I don't think I changed her mind.