Curious, how much does a Podiatrist make right after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious because my best friend's brother is a 3rd year resident DPM and my best friend is a PT and sick of his parents thinking he is rich, he is an experienced PT (4 years experience and makes 72K a year). He also asks me I wonder how much my brother is going to make so my parents can get out off his back. What is the realistic salary of a pod. straight out of residency, whats the wait period to get a job after residency if there is one. And I am not asking average or national or anything. I am more looking for a DPM who just graduated and what they are earning.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MD2b20004 said:
I am curious because my best friend's brother is a 3rd year resident DPM and my best friend is a PT and sick of his parents thinking he is rich, he is an experienced PT (4 years experience and makes 72K a year). He also asks me I wonder how much my brother is going to make so my parents can get out off his back. What is the realistic salary of a pod. straight out of residency, whats the wait period to get a job after residency if there is one. And I am not asking average or national or anything. I am more looking for a DPM who just graduated and what they are earning.
Thanks.

Do you mean your brother or your best friends brother?

MD2b20004 said:
Thanks.

There is no waiting period to get a job after residency training. Most of the graduating residents usually try to secure a position before graduating from their residency program.

As for average starting salary for a newly graduated resident, there is no published information on this. There are some published information for salaries for Podiatrists who have been practicing less than 5 years though. The starting salaries varies tremendously based on location, practice situation, compensation package and benefits, types of insurance that patient population have and the insurance reimbursement rates, medical malpractice situation at the location, etc. Some start above 100k a year and others start below 100k a year. There is a classmate of mine that is starting at a salary that is comparable to a starting Orthopedic Surgeon in the local region.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD2b20004 said:
Thanks.
I personally know 3 people that are finishing up a Podiatric Medicine & Surgery 36 (PM&S-36) that signed for 120k, 140k, 150k. It all depends on location and with whom you sign (private practice, multispecialty, ortho, etc).

doclm said:
Do you mean your brother or your best friends brother?
My best friend's brother. His family thinks he is the richest kid and soak up alot of his income because they are not that well off and he is so waiting for his DPM brother to finish that year of residency and chip in.

Can you choose to specialize in a field after Residency? Do the poster above, where in the country are those people getting paid starting salaries of 120k, 140k, 150k, etc.

medschool22 said:
Can you choose to specialize in a field after Residency? Do the poster above, where in the country are those people getting paid starting salaries of 120k, 140k, 150k, etc.

Two in the midwest and one in the southwest.