HELP! Willing to reinvent myself.... but 1. how much have I shot myself in the foot? 2. re-exams?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurenjdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To put a long story short, I've had an absolute devastating start to my academic career in podiatry. I'm a first year student and I failed two out of my first four courses.
The reasons were figuring out the proper methods of studying [I am a nontraditional student and have not been in school for a number of years], working, and dealing with family issues. I know what I have to fix and am committed to doing so.
I'm confident in my work ethic that I can turn things around by going over and beyond and giving maximal effort and focus to my studies. My concern lies in the damage that I have already done to myself.

1. I have recently learned that class rank and GPA are the top factors when getting into a residency. I imagine two F's on my transcript being an absolute death sentence to getting into a residency on the east coast (where I go to school). I am not sure how schools view upward trends and things of that nature.
2. I now have to take and pass two remedial exams for the courses that I have failed over the Summer. If I fail those, I have to repeat the year.This terrifies me - is it feasible to study concurrently for two monsterous beasts of an exam and still pass? Does anybody have any experience with this?

I am posting to simply field as much information and advice as I can. I have already contacted the dean at my school to set up a meeting, and I will voice my concerns.
Any kind of feedback at all is appreciated beyond your comprehension.
Happy holidays all.

Members don't see this ad.

Forget about residency and matching; you have to make it to the next semester, first.

That said, did you seek any help while you were failing the two classes over the term? Everyone has family issues (or other distractions), but I am not sure why you were working when being a full-time student. Hopefully, you are not working anymore and solved other issues unrelated to school.

Your best way to prepare for the remedial exams is 1) the professors 2) students who may have remediated in the past; I am not sure how much time you have to prepare but get their help soon (unless they're already on a break). Most remedial exams require that you get at least a 70 (out of 100), and you get a grade of say C- or C but you pass and move on, so you don't need to get the high 90s but find out what it is for you.

It might be more helpful if you can tell us which classes and when the remediation date is? (feel free to PM me)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Let us know what school in the east coast as the timeline of all the exams does really matter. The class also does matter so let us know that. Each school has different policies and different timelines. For example, I go to Scholl, and any remediation exam has to be taken in the summer, but first year students also take biomechanics over the summer. Studying for 2 remediation exams plus taking biomechanics is a very monstrous task, especially after finishing a full course-loaded Spring semester! In those cases, I would definitely petition to the Dean to take the exams on separate occasions giving you ample time to study for them while also taking anything that you guys have to take in the summer.

As far as GPA goes, it will definitely affect your first year GPA, but typically, there are numerous students that get C's in classes their first semester. This is why it is important you let us know what school and class you are talking about so we can maybe help you more! I am assuming a clinical anatomy class and maybe biochemistry? Just try your best to do a B or above on lower extremity anatomy (LEA) as that is definitely going to look worse if you remediate in that.

As long as you pass the remediation exams, granted your school does give you a C as a grade, you ~should~ be okay since the pod schools that I interviewed at had "GPA booster" classes towards the end of your pod school career (usually 3rd+4th year). At Scholl, they call them "Capstones." Acing these classes are a little easier than acing anatomy, biochem, etc.

Bottom line is, pass your remediation exams, kill it this spring semester (especially if you are taking LEA), really should stop working while in a rigorous program like this, and get the help you need (tutors, other students, group studying, academic support that teaches you better study habits).

If you are working cause you did not apply for loans/take loans out, I would highly suggest taking the gov loans out since it is potentially making you stay back a year in pod school!

Feel free to PM me with more info or on here! I am a first year as well so can definitely give some studying pointers if you would like!