Curious -- Is it possible to turn a 4yr into a 3yr program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am curious here. Is it possible to turn a 4yr dental school curriculum into a 3yr curriculum or are most programs 100% laid out so you can't really get ahead/overload even if you were crazy enough to want to?

Members don't see this ad.

ours is 100% set - you couldnt get ahead if you wanted

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually a real concern in dental academic circles today is that 4 years are not enough since the emphasis in training new dentists has shifted from just operative dentistry to holistic oral health care. Information overload for dental students is becomming a real problem.

Dental school isn't like undergrad where you pick and choose your classes at your convenience. Every hour of every day is layed out for you. Your class will be together all day and enrolled in exactly the same courses. There is simply no way to "get ahead"; the system isn't designed for it.

There are some seniors at my school who have finished clinical requirements and so are basically done - just waiting for graduation and doing procedures they like when they feel like it. But that is just the luck of the draw with your patients and pretty much beyond your control. If you want a 3 yr. program you'll have to shell out the big bucks for UOP. :)

Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
There are some seniors at my school who have finished clinical requirements and so are basically done - just waiting for graduation and doing procedures they like when they feel like it.

This was impossible at my school senior year. No matter how much you accomplished in clinic junior year, there was a whole new set of requirements you had to meet during your senior year - things that couldn't be done in your junior year. And they took attendance in clinic everyday, so even if you didn't have a patient you had to be sitting in your operatory looking bored. At some schools, though, I've heard that if you are done with clinic requirements early, you don't have to show up till graduation. Most schools probably have clinical requirements structured in a way that it pretty much takes till graduation to complete them.

Besides a few senior electives, every class we took was dictated by the school and it was impossible to graduate early, although you could go on the five year plan if you failed a class or had some type of family/medical leave.

I always thought of it this way - those who couldn't handle the science majors at my undergrad dropped down to an "easy" major like Psych. In dental school, everyone is majoring in the same thing - dentistry, so if you can't make it, you drop out.

The way that it's going some people are on a 5yr plan for the clinical requirements :eek: some don't even have half of the requirements done.
I wonder if the people over at UOP even have time to take a **** with the 3 yrs plan ;)

well first let me assure you that i have plenty of time to take more than one **** a day. my opinion, dental school can easily be done in 3 years. i am a student at uop and i think that in all, dental school was a breeze. all you have to do is manage all of the time in your day correctly. do that and the world is at your fingertips.

lnn2 said:
The way that it's going some people are on a 5yr plan for the clinical requirements :eek: some don't even have half of the requirements done.
I wonder if the people over at UOP even have time to take a **** with the 3 yrs plan ;)

who says you can't study on the pot ;) :D

drtacoelf u like finish early don't you?? i see that you finished undergrad only in 3 yers also

lnn2 said:

We don't, at least first year!