curious, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTgirl416

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone.

i'm so sick of the "what are my chances" posts. i am more interested in what overall and prereq gpas are in certain schools. for example, some schools say they require a 2.7 or 2.8 overall gpa but usually average a 3.4 or something, so it's misleading.

my overall is a 3.0 and for most schools, my prerequisite gpa is 3.3 to 3.7. my question is, What Schools Would You Suggest I Apply To, knowing those stats? Are there any schools that anyone knows of that are more lenient as far as overall gpa? i know it's kind of a shot in the dark but i'd appreciate it so i could edit my list of schools if need be. Thanks! and congrats to everyone accepted this year!

Members don't see this ad.

I understand exactly what you are talking about, and I'm sure you have already seen this, but apta.org has a page that lists all the PT programs in the country by state. Occasionally on the individual program page it will list some of their recent stats, such as avg. GRE or GPA. Hopefully you can find something on here that is helpful!

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm...schools/acc_schools_map.cfm&process=3&type=PT

Last edited:
I was accepted into AT Stills Univ in AZ with a below avg GPA. I had a lot of good experience and other experiences which helped my application.

UPs: great teachers, big class size (60, better chance to get in), incredibly high board pass rate, nice facilities, private health science univ (get free teeth cleans from Dentistry)

DOWNs: expensive (~26 a yr), terrible chairs in some of the classrooms, consumes my life (I'm sure any DPT program would though)

I have been on one ortho rotation this summer and once a week neuro rotation during this quarter, and it will all be worth it. Truly a wonderful profession!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you both so much! I completely forgot about apta's listings so i'll check it out again. and yes, atsu is definitely one of my top choices. i'm glad i've been hearing great things about this school. it'll be nice to get away for school. thank you again!

PTCAS also has an info page available for each participating PT program in their system. To get to the pages, you don't have to login, just look for the program info link somewhere on their main page. If you scroll down a ways on the info page, there is a table with mean gpa/gre info, and other class statistics, though not all of the programs I applied to supplied the data. Hope this helps! :)

thank you for the ptcas suggestion! i actually have been living off of ptcas since i first discovered it months ago, but i'm getting frustrated because a bunch of schools that i'm curious about leave those spots blank =/ but thank you!!

I personally would suggest that you just go ahead and make a list of prospective schools based on everything BUT grades and GRE scores and then e-mail or even better visit the schools and consult with a representative of the admissions committee. From there you can discuss your options with them directly. This way you do two things: 1) You get the information from the "goats mouth" so to speak 2) You put your name in their heads as someone who is going above and the beyond to get into their physical therapy program. Good luck!:)