Currency exposure for listed on American Exchanges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

07mcattaker

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone field this one?

If I buy a stock in a foreign company using American depository receipts, and then the foreign currency appreciates against the dollar although the price of the stock does not change, do I realize a gain on the investment?

Thx
 
Can anyone field this one?

If I buy a stock in a foreign company using American depository receipts, and then the foreign currency appreciates against the dollar although the price of the stock does not change, do I realize a gain on the investment?

Thx

If the price of the stock doesn't change, then no. But typically, if the dollar weakens and all else remains the same, the price of the stock goes up.

At least that is how I understand it.

BTW the phrase "realizing a gain" means actually selling the shares, which it doesn't sound like you meant from the context.