Current 3rd year - are residencies going to be almost a must with coronavirus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunshineStatePreDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a current D3 in dental school starting my 4th year soon once clinic re-opens. I have always been quite stern on not doing a GPR/AEGD and going straight into working for a DSO and take good CE's etc, but now i'm thinking with the clinical experience time being cut short, are we going to be less hirable coming out of dental school? Will a residency almost be a requirement to have enough clinical skills?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the difference between an amazing clinical experience in school and an average clinical experience is not a big difference in the overall scheme of things. After 2 years of practice your ability will be based on what you've done in practice and pretty irrelevant to what you did in school. I wouldnt be concerned about that

You'll find a lot of what you're taught in school is pretty irrelevant to the real world anyway, a lot of the things you're taught are good but just not profitable and impractical once you graduate.

However I think it may not be the worst time to do a GPR. Generally I wouldnt recommend one because it isnt a great compared to private practice, however private practice may have a bit of a slump the next couple years, and it might be a good time to expand your skillset. However, I never did one so take this advice with a grain of salt, will be interesting to hear what these programs actually teach you beyond dental school

Just to give a different perspective than the above poster... I completed a decent GPR (although I wouldn’t consider it amazing in terms of application to private practice) and have worked side by side many first or second year dentists who have not (in almost every type of practice setting).

I would say that the average 1 year GPR/AEGD is going to make you a significantly better clinician than even the top 10% of associateships you’d find (maybe not the top 1-5%). There’s a reason most jobs count a GPR as 3 years of experience when interviewing. In terms of broadening your scope of practice, depending on the program, I’d venture it could put you closer to 5 years ahead or totally alter your future practice (by giving you experience in stuff like: implants, wisdom teeth, molar endo, sedation, operating room treatment, managing medically complex patients, etc). On the other hand, a low quality GPR/AEGD might be similar to the experience you’d get working a year in corporate (where the only real experience is learning to get faster and some trial and error along the way).

Unless you have a unicorn job lined up with a top notch, broad-scope dentist who is going to take you under their wing, the only reason I’d choose private practice over a residency program would be money or wanting to actually start life (which aren’t bad reasons, but if you think it’s a better clinical experience you’ve got the facts wrong). Do I think a residency is necessary? No. Do I think you’ll be a better clinician in 1-3 years because you did one instead of working at a DSO straight out? By leaps and bounds. Do I think you can’t be a top-notch clinician without a residency? Of course not, but a residency gives you a nice head start. Do I think you need to do a residency because of this Coronavirus stuff? I agree with the above poster and don’t think it will matter much (although who really knows at this point).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We are currently in a recession and schools are still pumping out grads like crazy. You need to differentiate yourself from the pack to get a good job if you dont decide to specialize. Go for the AEGD

AEGD. Significant other did one and all of the docs in the practice did not. Guess who they go to when they have a question - you know already... and my significant other is a fairly new graduate.

AEGD with CE (constantly being a student) and you will be above average my friend.

Can anyone comment about the difference and pros/cons of AEGD vs GPR? Thank you!