Current applicants: how old are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Current applicants: how old are you?

• 19 - 20

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • 21 - 22

Votes: 137 30.6%
  • 23 - 24

Votes: 127 28.4%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 115 25.7%
  • 30+

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • 18 or younger

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The average age of American medical matriculants is ~24 years old, so the average applicant is ~23. I am curious if the SDN sample is representative. Please vote only if you are in the current cycle for MD/DO.
Edit: if you voted, feel free to leave a comment about your cycle/your top choice school/whatever is on your mind right now (to keep this at the top of the forum). I will love every single one. :) Thanks for helping!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
22 y/o, single.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
25, graduated w/ my Masters in 2019!

Wow. So far N=29 with 45% age 25 or older. I'm surprised there are so many non-trad students!

Reactions: 2 users
29 by the time I start next year.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow. So far N=29 with 45% age 25 or older. I'm surprised there are so many non-trad students!
Why? Didn't you believe the widely reported statistic that 2/3 of matriculants have at least one gap year? The number in the poll is entirely consistent with that. It would be surprising if around 45% weren't age 25 or older, since, nationally, 66% are age 23 or older.

Seems like its balancing out now, more participation would be really cool!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also I know a 17/18 year old applicant who is attending med school now, he wouldn't be able to answer the limited parameters in the survey :(

• Wow
Also I know a 17/18 year old applicant who is attending med school now, he wouldn't be able to answer the limited parameters in the survey :(
In the US???? How????

In the US???? How????
Not sure how many high schools are like this but there is (at least) one that has sophomores begin taking college courses for the duration of high school. There are a couple every year who graduate from university before receiving their high school diploma. This one guy was really special and did a lot of research and everything else necessary and was accepted out of hs/college.

• Wow
@Cheezin 's method, or skipped grades

I would advise my child to skip a few grades in primary/secondary school as well.

Maybe 2 grades max :eek: , something about my kid starting college at 13/14 with 17/18 y/o classmates doesn't sit right with my future self as a parent lol

Not sure how many high schools are like this but there is (at least) one that has sophomores begin taking college courses for the duration of high school. There are a couple every year who graduate from university before receiving their high school diploma. This one guy was really special and did a lot of research and everything else necessary and was accepted out of hs/college.
I would be terrified and socially conflicted letting a 17-year-old palpate me lol. Help, I need an adult!

• Haha
Maybe 2 grades max :eek: , something about my kid starting college at 13/14 with 17/18 y/o classmates doesn't sit right with my future self as a parent lol

Agreed, around 2 should be fine

The reason I'm even thinking about this is that in reflection, some of those school years were too easy or class content wasn't useful in the long run. I wouldn't say wasted time but I'd like to challenge my kid a bit more

• Love

The reason I'm even thinking about this is that in reflection, some of those school years were too easy or class content wasn't useful in the long run. I wouldn't say wasted time but I'd like to challenge my kid a bit more

I skipped a couple grades for this reason. Sure, I was challenged academically but I suffered in every other regard because I lacked the maturity and social skills of my peers. Even now, as a 32yo, I get anxious in social situations. How much of this is my personality and how much could be attributed to overly ambitious parents who think that the scholastic aspects of school are paramount? Who knows.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I skipped a couple grades for this reason. Sure, I was challenged academically but I suffered in every other regard because I lacked the maturity and social skills of my peers. Even now, as a 32yo, I get anxious in social situations. How much of this is my personality and how much could be attributed to overly ambitious parents who think that the scholastic aspects of school are paramount? Who knows.

Yeah...this problem went through my mind as well "what if social issues arise for my kid if I do this?"

Yeah...this problem went through my mind as well "what if social issues arise for my kid if I do this?"

You could also just challenge them through after school programs and STEM camps. Don’t underestimate the power of learning instruments, playing sports, and participating in non-academic hobbies for facilitating strong brain development in children.

Reactions: 4 users
Just turned 23. Would matriculate 2 months before turning 24 if all goes well this cycle

Are you wanting current age or the age at matriculation (which would be more representative, since some people's birthdays will have already passed but others not)?
Regardless, I am 22 and will be 23 when I matriculate this summer to my top choice (A&M).

School isn't just for academics and many kids who are challenged by their parents are stressed out! It's good to allow them to develop on their own, with a rich, fun and educational environment at home.

The average starting age of my medical school class was 25.5. This is much different than someone who is 30, imo, and the category shouldn't be that broad. Make one for 25/26 and then 27-30 and those numbers would plummet. a 25 y/o first year is not "non-trad" by any means.

The average starting age of my medical school class was 25.5. This is much different than someone who is 30, imo, and the category shouldn't be that broad. Make one for 25/26 and then 27-30 and those numbers would plummet. a 25 y/o first year is not "non-trad" by any means.

Hmm I always thought a non-trad was anyone who didn't go to med school straight out of undergrad...?

Hmm I always thought a non-trad was anyone who didn't go to med school straight out of undergrad...?
Just depends on your own personal definition. Would you say a 30yo veteran who immediately after discharging went to college, got a degree in biochemistry, and matriculated to medical school immediately after undergrad traditional? I wouldn't because they are coming in from another career.

Personally, I would no longer consider those that take a few gap years to be non-traditional because it is so common nowadays and continues to grow in popularity. I tend to consider traditional vs non-traditional primarily on the path taken (studying music instead biochemistry or coming in from another career, for example) and, honestly, what does it matter anyway?

Maybe let your child graduate early and have some gap year experiences before college?

Just depends on your own personal definition. Would you say a 30yo veteran who immediately after discharging went to college, got a degree in biochemistry, and matriculated to medical school immediately after undergrad traditional? I wouldn't because they are coming in from another career.

Personally, I would no longer consider those that take a few gap years to be non-traditional because it is so common nowadays and continues to grow in popularity. I tend to consider traditional vs non-traditional primarily on the path taken (studying music instead biochemistry or coming in from another career, for example) and, honestly, what does it matter anyway?

I agree, it shouldn't matter. Just trying to get a feel for what the general consensus is on the definition.

I will likely be 30 or 31 when I finally get to apply for medical school.

Currently 28 y/o applying to colleges in California (where I live) for the following Fall 2021. It isn’t so uncommon of an age for the average non-trad millennial trying to go back to school, right? Shout out to the non-trad people in this thread. I feel less alone . Thank you!

• Care
I will likely be 30 or 31 when I finally get to apply for medical school.

Currently 28 y/o applying to colleges in California (where I live) for the following Fall 2021. It isn’t so uncommon of an age for the average non-trad millennial trying to go back to school, right? Shout out to the non-trad people in this thread. I feel less alone . Thank you!
If I get in this cycle, I will be turning 30 at the beginning of M1. You're not alone!

The average age of American medical matriculants is ~24 years old, so the average applicant is ~23. I am curious if the SDN sample is representative. Please vote only if you are in the current cycle for MD/DO.
Edit: if you voted, feel free to leave a comment about your cycle/your top choice school/whatever is on your mind right now (to keep this at the top of the forum). I will love every single one. :) Thanks for helping!
39 / M / accepted early to NJMS. Second career:)

29 :) hoping to matriculate with a PhD in Neuroimmunology :)

• Love
28 yo but my knees are about 40 so basically 34 lol 29 (prayerfully when I get in)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users