Current applicants: how old are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Current applicants: how old are you?

• 19 - 20

Votes: 23 5.1%
  • 21 - 22

Votes: 137 30.6%
  • 23 - 24

Votes: 127 28.4%
  • 25 - 30

Votes: 115 25.7%
  • 30+

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • 18 or younger

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters
28 yo but my knees are about 40 so basically 34 lol 29 (prayerfully when I get in)
You should ask your doctor about cortisone injections. They're easy, painless (usually), and work well

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
39 / M / accepted early to NJMS. Second career:)
Since this forum is anonymous, would you mind sharing a few facts about your application process (I'm really curious about a theory I have regarding older applicants)?
  1. Science GPA
  2. MCAT score(s)
  3. # of Schools applied to
  4. # of Schools interviewed
  5. # of Offers

Last edited:
47, if all goes well, 48 when I start fall of 2021
Since this forum is anonymous, would you mind sharing a few facts about your application process (I'm really curious about a theory I have regarding older applicants)?
  1. Science GPA
  2. MCAT score(s)
  4. # of Schools interviewed (if that has taken place yet)

Last edited:
  1. Science GPA
  2. MCAT score(s)
  4. # of Schools interviewed (if that has taken place yet)
What's your theory?

Reactions: 1 users
I was a little nervous to click "View Results" but I was pleasantly surprised to see other people in their late 20's represented in significant numbers. :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I started DS at 46 and will graduate at 50.

You should ask your doctor about cortisone injections. They're easy, painless (usually), and work well
Damn, skipping first-line of defense? steroids before NSAIDS? bold move....

1. Science GPA
  2. MCAT score(s)
  4. # of Schools interviewed
  5. # of Offers
I'll play ball. sGPA 3.93, MCAT 510, 30 applied, 6 interviews extended thus far, 2 offers thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if that poster will ever actually reply or if we'll be left wondering what this "theory" is.
Who knows? But, I wouldn't hold my breath! Before 3 related posts he made yesterday, he hasn't posted in 5 years, and all his other posts related to dental school. Whatever he's working on, since he didn't respond yesterday, I wouldn't expect a response from him. I'm also not sure how valuable your n=1 response will be to him! :cool:

Who knows? But, I wouldn't hold my breath! Before 3 related posts he made yesterday, he hasn't posted in 5 years, and all his other posts related to dental school. Whatever he's working on, since he didn't respond yesterday, I wouldn't expect a response from him. I'm also not sure how valuable your n=1 response will be to him! :cool:
I feel taken advantage of....I hope @Flying Penguin isn't using this data for sketchy/secret reasons, too.

I feel taken advantage of....I hope @Flying Penguin isn't using this data for sketchy/secret reasons, too.
Nah, I'm sure he's fine, because he clearly stated his objective and has been very upfront with what he's doing. On the other hand, ... :)

If you're really concerned, you can always delete or edit your post where you provided your info.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Full disclosure if that makes you more comfortable, I am a traditional applicant (just turned 22 yo) who does not personally know any non-traditional applicant. As I heavily browsed SDN during this app cycle, I find myself comparing my journey to other SDNers who are applying. I knew this was not a productive mindset, and I doubt I am alone in feeling this way. So I made this poll, half out of curiosity, half to remind myself that everybody's path to medicine is different. I definitely do not have the intention or the power to use this information for any other purpose. :)

Reactions: 6 users
38. 39 by the time I matriculate. PA for 7 years.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
26 now, 27 when I matriculate! Took a few years working in research to decide whether I wanted to pursue a PhD or MD 😊

Happy to reside in the "old people" category (in my young 30's). Have a background in biological sciences/research and then worked in a health-adjacent field for a number of years. Applied to 6 schools, have 1 interview so far (at my dream school!). Being older with an established career makes it easy for me to just take another year to apply if needed, rather than blowing thousands of dollars applying to schools I have no interest in. It also makes me far more confident in my decision, having paid off my student loans and earning a reasonable income for a while, having traveled, tried out different jobs, and had plenty of time for introspection and personal growth.

I know folks who went straight through from UG and many have the "golden handcuffs" syndrome, where they're burned out and trying to get out of clinical practice as soon as it's financially feasible (which for many of them, will be a long time, thanks to UG+med school debt). So all that being said, I'm very encouraged to see so many older applicants! I think it truly is a benefit for most people to take multiple years off between UG and med school. (I'm heavily biased though!) :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users