Current "best books" to learn more about PM&R?

Started by stsa84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

stsa84

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, MS3 here. I'm fairly certain I want to pursue PM&R, and want to learn more about the field and prepare for an upcoming PM&R rotation in January. Any advice on the best book to knock out both of these goals? I found a comprehensive list in the stickies, but it was posted 9 years ago. The one title I've heard thrown around is PM&R Secrets. Thanks for your thoughts.
 
PGY1 here, no official PM&R experience yet, but these helped me during MS3/4:

http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Medi...d=1413131547&sr=8-1&keywords=pm&r+pocketpedia
Handy to keep in your white coat, covers many topics albeit briefly

http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Medi...4?ie=UTF8&qid=1413131568&sr=8-4&keywords=pm&r
The aforementioned Secrets, q&a format not for everyone, but it's a good read once-through at least

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-EMG-1e-L..._2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413131791&sr=8-2&keywords=emg
No need to actually get this book, find someone who has one or check the library for something similar. Knowing a little bit about EMGs (what they test, how they work, what their limitations are) can go a long way

Netters: knowing your anatomy is a good place to build a foundation. Nerve levels, innervations, all the various plexi, and your functional muscles. No reason not to know this stuff
 
Thanks for the well thought out reply. The Netters tip is very helpful...all that stuff used to be in my working knowledge, but it's (more than) a bit dusty at this point. I'll definitely spend some time with that. I think I'll get the pocketpedia, and scrounge around for a pdf of secrets to go through over our December break. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I personally didn't like PM&R Secrets, but I do know a number of people find it helpful. This was the easy-to-read text I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Physical-Medicine-Rehabilitation-Musculoskeletal/dp/1588296180/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413164547&sr=1-9&keywords=essentials of physical medicine and rehabilitation

For some reason the price is more than double what it used to be for a new book. So buying used is probably the better way to go--as much as I liked it, it's definitely not worth $140
 
Honestly, it's the anatomy stuff that I think separated me from others on a rotation. You hit the nail on the head: you're a bit rusty on it, and nearly everyone's forgotten tons of it going into 3rd/4th year. It's a fairly easy fix if you learned it the first go-around and you will look good when someone pimps you on it.