Current consensus on aways?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neriticzone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the current consensus for aways in ENT? From what I’ve read seems like they aren’t as necessary, but the stuff I’m reading is pretty dated. Plus competition seems pretty stiff now.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure you’ll find true consensus, but my general gestalt is that most students are doing them. So far we don’t have anything like EM with their SLOE that truly makes aways a requirement, but even so I’d say 80-90% of students are doing them.

Not sure you’ll find true consensus, but my general gestalt is that most students are doing them. So far we don’t have anything like EM with their SLOE that truly makes aways a requirement, but even so I’d say 80-90% of students are doing them.

Thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I figured it would be the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think weird not to do an away unless you're coming from a true powerhouse program.

Most people do aways. It's a good way to network and make inroads at a program you're interested in, and get letters of recommendation for applying. It's also helpful for you to see how different types of departments work (giant academic powerhouse covering 6 hospitals vs smaller more intimate regional programs) and learn where you will best enjoy working as a resident. Standard is most people do 1-3. Exception would be if you think you'll look better on paper than on a rotation and don't want to screw up your shot by looking bad on an away (though I'd question your aptitude for ENT to begin with if you can't perform adequately in an ENT rotation).