Current dental students/recent graduates, please answer these questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Name of Your Dental School
-> Creighton University School of Dentistry

2. Your Year (Are you taking NBDE Part 1/2 or the INBDE?)
-> D3

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
-> About 2-3 exams a week on average

4. What is the hardest class? Why?
-> Pathology because a lot of memorizations

5. What is the easiest class? Why?
-> History of Dentistry because you don’t need to do any assignments and no exams

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? Or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
-> Based on lecture powerpoints

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
-> We’ve electronic textbooks in our class drive

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
-> Letter Grades. Most classes are 93 or above to get an A

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabotage each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
-> Everybody tries to help everybody out

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
-> Lectures are recorded, but no note-taking service

11. Is class attendance mandatory?
-> yes

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
-> Most of them are very nice and approachable

13. What is the drop out rate?
-> 2 students had to repeat a year, but no one dropped out in my class

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling, academically or otherwise?
-> Free tutoring service

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?
-> 3-10% varies very years

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? ** changing with the integrated boards **
-> Plan to take INDBE during the Fall of D4 year

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?
-> Not sure

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
-> Not sure, but I don’t think we’ve a block of time off to study. Many students plan to study during summer break

19. How and where do most students study for classes?
-> A few students study at the school, but most study at home (I believe)

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? Do you find/schedule them on your own?
-> Depends on your patient family. My patients in my family need a lot clinic works done, so my schedule is fully filled and booked out for a month. We’ve plenty of patients at our school, so most students don’t have problems fulfilling clinical requirements. We’ve to schedule patients on our own

21. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? Or is it competency based?
-> 16 units of crowns/FDP, 82 fillings, 8 arches of removable, 12 root canals, 20 points of IPT (very easy to fulfill), 20 points of SPT. Based on my experience, perio and removable are easier to get

22. What is the best and the worst thing about clinic at your school?
-> Best thing is that the school is willing to listen to students’ opinions, and willing to make changes. Worst thing is too many clinic protocols

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
-> Extern? Reach out to the faculty in different specialties to explore more options

24. What are rotations like? Do you have community outreach programs?
-> During D3 year, we go to middle schools to provide sealants and fluoride varnish. During D4 year, students have rotations at other cities

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
-> Scrubs

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
-> Students form social groups within class just like high schools. We’ve class/school events 1-2 times a month

27. What student organizations are most active?
-> ASDA?

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
-> Not a too big or too small city. There aren’t many things you can do in Omaha (I grew up in a very large city). Housing isn’t difficult to find. Safety isn’t too much an issue

29. What is one thing you would change about your school?
-> No mandatory classes

30. Any last words or advice?
I’m satisfied with the clinical education here at Creighton. We don’t have any grad specialties to steal difficult cases. I’m confident with my clinical skills. Never regretted choosing this school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Copy and paste, and then answer the questions below :) Thanks!

1. Name of Your Dental School

->Touro College of Dental Medicine

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)
->D1, we will be taking the INDBE

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
->Most classes have between 3 and 5 exams or practicals, so each course has an exam every few weeks.

4. What is the hardest class? Why?
->That depends entirely on how you learn. My worst was Histology, but many people would say that biochemistry or physiology were worse. Some had issues with our operative course, because we went at a fairly fast pace.

5. What is the easiest class? Why?
->Introduction to Oral Radiology, it's just very straightforward and approachable. The material is supposed to come up again in our second year for another radiology course.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? Or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
->Lecture powerpoints using figures from the textbooks

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
->Either are acceptable.

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
->Letter Grades

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabotage each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
->There's definitely no sabotaging in our class. Some are absolutely trying to be top of the class, but even they are very helpful to each other. We set up a discord for our class to share useful resources.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
->Not currently.

11. Is class attendance mandatory?
->Basically all of our classes are mandatory. Some do this by having daily quizzes.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
->They are generally very available for questions, although some are more available by email.

13. What is the drop out rate?
->I'm not aware of anybody who has dropped out. We have had a few people repeat a year though.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling, academically or otherwise?
->There are plenty of resources for academic struggles, and I believe we have a mental health person we can see.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?
->I do not know

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1? ** changing with the integrated boards **
->End of D3 INDBE

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?
->It does, but it is unclear how that will work for the Integrated boards in D3.

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
->Previous years have, but that is currently unclear for the future.

19. How and where do most students study for classes?
->We have two libraries available to us, which most students use. One is open 24/7

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in? Do you find/schedule them on your own?
->Having talked to upperclassmen about this, they don't seem to have too much trouble finding patients, although finding them specifically for the boards is apparently always a difficulty.

21. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult? Or is it competency based?
->I do not know.

22. What is the best and the worst thing about clinic at your school?
->I do not know

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
->I'm not sure. We have professors from each specialty here, but no specialty program, so I know our students get to experience a lot of variety of cases.

24. What are rotations like? Do you have community outreach programs?
->I do not know

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
->Scrubs are required (and provided) for working in the Sim lab and clinic. On days where you only have lecture, there is not a dress code.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
->Other than the people with outside responsibilities or long-commuters, many students hang out with each other.

27. What student organizations are most active?
->A lot of them are still getting off the ground now that we have all four classes in the school.

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
->The location is pretty nice. Housing is very available, but much more expensive than I'd like. That's mostly just an adjustment to being in New York though from the south.

29. What is one thing you would change about your school?
->There's a bit of disorganization at times, and communication could occasionally be better.

30. Any last words or advice?
-> Overall, I really like it here. If you are not Jewish, there may be an adjustment to the different schedule, but there are very solid benefits there. For instance, we get out at noon every friday. We also get off for Jewish holidays, which is nice.
hello! ik this is a pretty old post, but can u update lol did you enjoy the rest of ur time at touro and did u feel like you were prepared when you graduated

Harlem Hospital Center Department of Dentistry has openings for 5 General Practice Residency (GPR) positions to start July 1, 2024.

The Harlem Hospital GPR program is an accredited 1 year GPR Program in Harlem, New York. We practice full scope dentistry, encompass all subspecialties and offer our residents the opportunity to serve patients in an exciting, fast-paced, and highly diverse environment. The program has a history of residents matching at different subspecialties including OMFS, pediatric dentistry and endodontics its own non-categorical interns. Harlem Hospital also has a pediatric and an oral surgery residency. We participate in the Match. We are looking for hard-working, self-motivated individuals to join our team this upcoming 2024-2025 year.

The Department of Dentistry at Harlem Hospital Center will offer 5 GPR positions starting July 1st 2024

Primary responsibilities will include the following:

1. Full scope dentistry including Endo, Prosth, OS, and Perio in a very busy outpatient setting

2. Participation in the call schedule with OMFS

3. Anesthesia and Emergency room rotations

Educational opportunities provided by the internship program will include:

1) Weekly didactic lectures covering the full scope of dentistry and management of patients

2) Participation in weekly Grand Rounds

3) Oral pathology lecture series

Residents will receive the salary and benefits at the PGY 1 level in New York State.

If interested in applying for the position, please email the program director Dr. James R. King ([email protected]) with your CV or PASS application.