Current Events (Interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eunice

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So with the interviews coming in, I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread about current events..
they don't necessarily have to be medically-related..
some of us, or maybe just me, can get wrapped up in this process too much and dig a hole and forget to check the news sometime! haha..

so i thought it'd be helpful to post any news on this thread and include at least one website link that we can go to..
please don't post really small events.. relatively medium to large scale events?
And "current" events mean perhaps w/in the past year?
so feel free to post interesting old news that some of us might have missed!

I hope this thread works out!

Eunice

I'll start!
West Nile Virus! eeks!
http://www.msnbc.com/news/788671.asp

Members don't see this ad.

Yay!
thanks for the support tweetie!

bump!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a supercool idea

once in a while "fake" news is good too - I learn alot from this show esp/ b/c they parody actual current events and its easy to separate whats fake from real.

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/ds/dailyshow_tech.jhtml

this one's about a pot study from germany

PS - any hottie Jew boys out there w/ Jon's looks and wit - call/PM/email me Now!!

I agree with Bluedevil..

once this thread starts to carry insignificant news, it will lose its credibility and people will stop reading it...
so let's try our best to keep it serious! =)

But we can post happy news!
a medical marvel news or miraculous rescue, etc.. haha..

OK..
this is a bit of a disturbing news...
a couple wants to clone a baby...eeks!
this is actually not a news article.. it's an interview the couple had w/ a report.. but still interesting...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/08/13/cloned.birth.cnna/index.html

One of the best things for this in my opinion is a magazine called "the week" Basically it sums up everything that happened everywhere in the week that was relatively important. And it does it in like 30 pages. Pretty thin little magazine. There is some crappy stuff in the back of each one about the "best lakehouse/beachouse" so I assume the people who read this magazine can afford 8 million dollar summer homes. I certianly can't but I can afford a 1 a week for the magazine. This is a good start on things and then from there if you find an event that interest you or that you think you may be asked you can look into it further through other sources.

Short of doing this there is a site called Daily Letters (I think)...I just switched computers so I have lost the address but if anyone need it reply to this or somethign and I can try to dig it up. The site is basically a number of daily articles from random news sites as far as I can tell but it gives a good perspective on things.

if you want to know what is going on in the rest of the world - The Economist magazine is good - just in case you get asked something like "well, do you think there will be famine in Zimbabwe?"

many of the articles from are avail on their website The Economist , but it is sure to be in any univ library

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the NPR thing...it's a bit liberal, but you hear the days news at the top/bottom of every hour. The rest is usually news analysis.

:( 631 views but only 18 replies, most of which are from Eunice. Selfish selfish selfish....SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!! I will come back with some info for you, Eunice. Doncha worry, hun. :D

haha...
it's all good...
that's what this thread is for.. for people to read the news...
besides.. this thread is forcing me to look at nytimes.com more often.. which is a good thing... since i have an interview in less than 2 wks! eek!

anyone know a good website explaining how the healthcare system works? i am kind of in the dark when it comes to HMOs Medicare and stuff... :confused:
haha...

thanks~
eunice

As always, Tweetie and Eunice are correct. Lets not let this thread die. Here are some contributions.

My interests lie in tropical medicine, infectious diseases, and relief operations. So my recommended reading list includes:

On the Web
D?couverte d'une souche de staphylocoque dor? r?sistante ? la vancomycine
http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3244--284405-,00.html

Books
The Man Who Tried to Save the World: The Dangerous Life and Mysterious Disappearance of Fred Cuny by Scott Anderson

Touched by Fire: Doctors Without Borders in a Third World Crisis by Elliott Leyton

Albert Schweitzer: Genius in the Jungle by Joseph Gollomb

with all do respect to everyone, that's the most that could be come up with? what about the isreal/palestine war? What about the United State's messed up foreign policy? What about the transition from the Drachma to Euro in Greece last jan? What about the post-war environmental disasters in Kosovo? What about GLOBALIZATION, and everything about it?

As future doctors, it is ESSENTIAL that we have some working knowledge of the world, for without it how can we TRULY we empathetically treat and understand our diverse patients?

What about the refugee camps in Uganda that have been forgotton about? What about the farm substidies the EU puts on the rest of the world (of course, the US too).

this isn't really related to medicine, but it really is a great source for a brief survey of issues on various subjects:

http://wwics.si.edu/OUTREACH/WQ/QUARTERL.HTM

I think it's probably a good source of practice passages for the verbal section of the MCAT (?)...

Originally posted by kreno
with all do respect to everyone, that's the most that could be come up with? what about the isreal/palestine war? What about the United State's messed up foreign policy? What about the transition from the Drachma to Euro in Greece last jan? What about the post-war environmental disasters in Kosovo? What about GLOBALIZATION, and everything about it?

As future doctors, it is ESSENTIAL that we have some working knowledge of the world, for without it how can we TRULY we empathetically treat and understand our diverse patients?

What about the refugee camps in Uganda that have been forgotton about? What about the farm substidies the EU puts on the rest of the world (of course, the US too).

I'm sorry if we are not aware of all that you know.
Also, just b/c we are not posting them online, it doesn't mean that we are not aware of it. like who doesn't know about the palestine/israeli conflict?
But instead of ranting about how we've neglected these things, it would be more helpful if you had just posted the information w/ some website links. like for the "messed up foreign policy", if you could be more specific and post up links, it would be much more helpful!
This thread is for people to post links for news, not to discourage people about how little current news they know.
Actually this whole SDN website is for people to help people.. not to disparage them.

i'm not trying to be mean, i'm just saying
let's just post the news websites!

:)

Originally posted by eunice

I'm sorry if we are not aware of all that you know.
Also, just b/c we are not posting them online, it doesn't mean that we are not aware of it. like who doesn't know about the palestine/israeli conflict?
But instead of ranting about how we've neglected these things, it would be more helpful if you had just posted the information w/ some website links. like for the "messed up foreign policy", if you could be more specific and post up links, it would be much more helpful!
This thread is for people to post links for news, not to discourage people about how little current news they know.
Actually this whole SDN website is for people to help people.. not to disparage them.

i'm not trying to be mean, i'm just saying
let's just post the news websites!

:)

way to stand your ground, eunice!!! i'll try to post stuff, but i haven't had any interview invites yet, so i'm just chillin for now. i've been an NPR addict for a while now, anyhow...

Okay, I don't want to be argumentative, BUT....I saw your post as being really insulting to all of us who are TRYING to be more informed. Sure, we may not know of everything that you have mentioned, but are we not trying? "With all due respect" Kreno, if you know so much, why don't you do us fools a favor and help us by sharing your vast knowledge? Help out! Post links! Making us look and feel bad only reflects poorly on you.

I think that medical schools are going to be much more interested in a candidate who is informed on our health care system, tort reform, stem cell research, cloning, public health issues and such than a candidate that knows the intricate details of US foreign policy of a small foreign nation. Not that keeping up with foreign policy isn't important, but come on!!! I really don't have time to read about every little bit of world news. How about you guys?

In retrospect after rereading my post, I appologize, it is definitely written in an arragant way. That's not how I am... I was just grumpy last night struggling with some secondaries.

I do, however, think the things I mentioned are important issues, and the overall point i was trying to make was that doctors should be imformed about a wide variety of issues, political and nonpolitical if they are to be active health care advocates and not just clinicians.

Without a doubt, the obviously important issues like medical ethics, health inequality, etc, is important.

A great magazine to read is the economist. www.economist.com... and of course, the wallstreet journal. But you should read international news coverage, like www.ekathimerini.com or BBC from england for different perspectives.

Anyone have arabic newspapers translated into english websites?

sorry again! I didn't mean to sound like that at all!

hey kreno..

i understand your point..
thanks for clarifying
and thanks for the suggestions!

and since you seem to know a lot of the current events, please feel free to visit this site and post news that you think we should know!

ah... interview in a week!! UMDNJ.. anyone go there yet?

eunice

In retrospect after rereading my post, I appologize, it is definitely written in an arragant way. That's not how I am... I was just grumpy last night struggling with some secondaries.

I do, however, think the things I mentioned are important issues, and the overall point i was trying to make was that doctors should be imformed about a wide variety of issues, political and nonpolitical if they are to be active health care advocates and not just clinicians.

Without a doubt, the obviously important issues like medical ethics, health inequality, etc, is important.

A great magazine to read is the economist. www.economist.com... and of course, the wallstreet journal. But you should read international news coverage, like www.ekathimerini.com or BBC from england for different perspectives.

Anyone have arabic newspapers translated into english websites?

sorry again! I didn't mean to sound like that at all!

Secondaries can do that to ya! Anyway, it's cool. I think this admissions process is getting to all of us. :confused: No hard feelings, okay? :)

No hard feelings. I know I'm already pretty stressed out and the process isn't even half over. Thanks for posting on this thread. It is really important to keep up on current events.

I've gotten a lot out of this thread, and just went back a few pages to find it. (BUMP!)

Does anyone know where I can look up restrictions on doctors hours (on-call for instance) by state? I just saw my doctor yesterday and she alluded to the fact that the state of Maine has passed a law saying they can only be on call for 24 hours straight (?). I thought I'd be able to come home and look it up online, but all of my searches are dead-ending. This is something I'd love to be able to talk about in an interview! (I've read "Intern Blues" and know that things have been trying to change for a while...)

check out the article in NYT about a Lithuanian jail and the HIV crisis in there. I don't have the time or patience to post the link (this computer does not load the NYT page very well) but it's a good article.

(Sorry for being away for awhile, this SDN stopped letting me post, but it seems to be fixed now.)

Forget all of those. Run, walk, or crawl to get

Understanding Health Policy
by Bodenheimer

I can not recommend this book stongly enough for giving you an easy to understand guide to the way the current medical system works. It is short, quick to read, and enjoyable. I read it in one sitting and so will you. You will also keep it as a reference for the next 10 years.

If you have not read this book before you go for your interviews, then you are not serious about being a doctor.

I guess Tweetie and Eunice have abandoned us.

Well I guess Tweetie is busy doing her seconadries and eunice is busy countring her interviews. :D

thanks for bumping it up, guys.

Here's one on Bipolar disorder in kids. There seems to be a sharp increase of Bip. dis. in kids and I saw a news special on that last week. Thought you'd like to read it too:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020819/story.html

here's one on Organ Transplants and Risk associated:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020826-338612,00.html

And how about the issue regarding HRT being riskier than once thought? Remembe the 7 year study that came out a few months ago? Here's a link to that:
http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020722/story.html

i'm still here!

i have been frustrated w/ the whole interview process.
well.. no... just the travel planning process.

i guess i'll just have to think of it as a trip to Texas and just enjoy it.. haha..

Charles, thanks for the book recommendation.
i went to amazon and bought it.. they actually had the first 22 pages online just i am reading that to prepare for my interview tomorrow! eeks!

it's really good! everyone! get this book!

here's my link for today:

China's AIDs advocate missing..
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/29/international/asia/29CHIN.html

Thanks Tweetie!!

:love:

btw, i have a 2 hr. powerpoint presentation on heathcare issues of the year 2002 - politics, hmos, providers, medical ethics, made by a clinician who works for hmo.

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
btw, i have a 2 hr. powerpoint presentation on heathcare issues of the year 2002 - politics, hmos, providers, medical ethics, made by a clinician who works for hmo.

Are you willing to share it (publically or privately)?

I'd be willing to take a careful look at it out of curiosity's sake.